Books to read

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Jesse, Mar 17, 2009.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I'd like some suggestions of what people consider to be great books.
    It can be in any category but mainly I'm looking to read

Horror
    Mystery
    Sci-Fi
    Drama
    Books that Deal with Japanese,French, Korean Culture
    Books that incorporate Japanese,French, Korean Culture
    Physiological
    Supernatural?

Anything really, just please recommend me some great books :lol:

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Well, In terms of horror...anything by Stephen King is win. Anything.

Also, I just recently bought a book named Patient Zero by Jon Mayberry and it's pretty good so far.

Ophelia

Ophelia LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

If you like true crime stories, anything by Ann Rule is really good.

In particular though, her book The Stranger Beside Me is excellent. She was friends with Ted Bundy, during the time when he was killing all those women, and it talks about her relationship with him.

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

Some friends told me "A year in the merde" was fun.

I'll try to find some other ones for you.

Jesse

I love stephen king, I've read most of his novels. Exceptions being The girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (Tried Reading couldn’t get into it) The Tommyknockers (same) , Dolores Claiborne (read most of it but it was due to go back to where it came and I just never checked it out again) UR (pretty new) The Stand - Graphic Novel (new) The Dark Tower Comic Book (Marvel) and some short stories. Though I do plan on reading the recently released “Just after Sunset”, and the to be released in fall “Under the Dome “(About 2,000 pages I think) I read some Richard Bachman too. His Non Horror stuff is great also :)

Also I’m going to take a look at Patient Zero , it seems very interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

It sounds really fascinating, I’ll be sure to make sure if the library has it, as I have no money to buy books right now :lol: I should do some research on the author as well

Do you have any information to what it’s about?

Ophelia

The Tommyknockers was horrible. I have tried several times to read that damn book, and could never get past the sixth chapter. Total waste of paper.

Jesse

That's what happened with me on Twilight at first. I tried and tried to read it and just couldn't. But then I forced myself to read it. Tried to read Duma Key by Stephen King twice, and I succeeded the second time. I love that book now, it's kind of good at first, but then slow but once you get near the end I think it's just really brilliant.

Ophelia

Clive Barker:

The Great and Secret Show: The First Book of the Art
    http://www.clivebarker.info/gassbarker.html

Everville: The Second Book of the Art
    http://www.clivebarker.info/evervillebarker.html

Abarat
    http://www.clivebarker.info/abaratbarker.html

Abarat: Days of Magic, Nights of War
    http://www.clivebarker.info/abarat2barker.html

There's more about the Abarat Series here,
    http://www.clivebarker.info/newbooksc.html

And yes, this is the same Clive Barker that created Hellraiser, but the books are nothing like that at all.

John

John LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

you can check info about any book here: http://www.goodreads.com/

you can even create your own profile, add books you have read, about to read currently reading.

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

Try American Psycho, or at least watch the movie if you haven't already. :lol: I couldn't get through the book because it was too discriptive in a way, and because of time issues, but I'm sure it's very gratifying when you finish it.

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

Paul West is the first-person narrator, a 27 year-old Englishman, single and unattached, who is recruited by a French entrepreneur and given a one-year contract to come to Paris to plan and organize a chain of tea rooms which his employer wants to open in the French capital. The novel covers fictional events of that year, starting in September 2002 and ending in the summer of 2003.

Set at the time of the 2003 invasion of Iraq, A Year in the Merde is about the cultural differences between the British and the French, which are somewhat heightened by the war, especially by the opposing views on the invasion held by Blair and Chirac respectively. The French reaction to the strong anti-French sentiment in the United States is also captured in the novel.

I know you're not British but I suppose it still could be fun for you.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I really enjoyed A Year In the Merde. It's a good book if you're looking for something a little more lighthearted and comedic.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
    El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I'm currently reading, "No God But God" by Reza Aslan, which is about the origins and the early days of Islam, and goes into what the future could be like. If you're interested in that sort of stuff, it's a good read.

I'm also reading "Crime & Punishment" by Fydor Dostoevsky, which is a classic murder story. It's basically a murder story on-top of a complex, layered character study of the young man who decides to murder an old lady for the hell of it.

Jesse

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I really appreciate it and I think I'm actually going to try to read a lot of the books mentioned. :)

barnes80

barnes80 Well-Known Member

In all honesty, I'm not much of a reader, mostly school as taken away my interests in it by forcing me to read awful books, but theres 3 great books I've read that I can think of to suggest.

Catch-22
    - Basically a military comedy, I think the writing style and humor in it are absolutely genius. You grow to love so many of the characters. One of my favorites is Major Major Major Major, yes thats his full title. It can get a bit confusing because the book flip flops through out one set of chronological events. I ended up having to look up a timeline to be certain on some of it and even the timelines are very disputed. But despite the confusing nature of it, it is an absolute must read that caught my interest from chapter one and held it to the end.

The Kite Runner
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    - Both are books about the events of people in Afghanastan during the rise of the Talaban, forgive my spelling. They are really touching and you actually can learn a lot about foreign countries and interactions through them. I am kinda short on time so I can't plug this book as much as I want, but even if the Afghan basis of it seems boring to you, I highly suggest you check it out!

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I can't recommend many specifically in the different areas you've mentioned, but I can name books that I just generally think are good if you like.

As far as sci-fi is concerned, I would probably recommend most books by Philip K Dick and Robert A Heinlein. I haven't read all of their work, but the ones I have read work on a basic level as sci-fi stories and also have deeper themes related to existentialism and politics and stuff that you'd probably like.

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

I'm a big fan of Chuck Palahniuk's books and Tom Sharpe's books.

Tom Sharpe is awesome.

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

The night watch
    The day watch
    The twilight watch

by Sergei Lukyanenko.

Jesse

I can't seem to find any books by Sergei Luyanenko here in the library, also I'm not able to find Patient Zero.