At wich point a Mp3 or vid. is legal?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Anthony., Sep 4, 2003.

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Many topics here were closed because people requested Mp3s or videos. That brought one question to my head : At wich point is a Mp3 legal.

I mean, let's say I want The Morning After. But this song wasn't on any CD, it's a live-only performance. I ask for it. Can you legally link me to a site that has it? Or it's still illegal even if you can't buy it?
    (Just an example, I have it...)

Or... I bought Meteora. But I want the Numb vid. (it was requested on this forum). I paid for this song, I saw the vid on TV (that's not true for those who don't understand what an example is) and I like it really much, so I want it. Should I feel as a thief for dowloading it? I mean, the only money they can get from this is from the TV channels.

Did you understand my point? I just wanted to see things clearer, and I think I'm not the only person asking himself this.

BTW if I'm not in the right forum, sorry :D .

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Sharing mp3's on these forums can get us shut down, do you want that? And why do you think LPU asked everyone to take the videos off their sites, maybe because it's not officially out and it has been pirated and ripped onto the net. Please respect what we're doing when we close topics, it's not like we're trying to make you mad. ;)

Anthony.

I think you did not understand my question. I asked what is legal and what is not. And the point is NOT to get you closed, that's totally for the opposite reason ;) .

Mark

Ok, videos which are not officially released are considered pirated material and if we aide people in transfering these files from person to person, we can get shut down. So basically NO videos are permitted. There's a little program called Kazaa, over 200 million people have downloaded it, you should check it out. ;)

It's a rule not to ask for mp3's, so basically no MP3's are legal on these forums, whether they're live or not. Again, try Kazaa and other LP fan sites for live tracks such as Morning After.

So, your answer is, at no point are mp3's or videos legal on these forums.

Don't feel like a theif, it's a free country. But don't ask for them here./

Anthony.

I have it and I downloaded all I've got on it. But sometimes you're looking for things that maybe only two people got :D . And you really, really want it... And you looked for it in every imaginable place, but you don't find it :) . What do you do? You turn to people that know the subject, so they are more likely to have what you're talking about :D .

That's why I asked this :D .

Mark

I can't give you any links, that's not permitted. So even if I know some links, I wouldn't be able to give them to me.

Anthony.

No no that was not what I was asking for :D ! I asked for a clarification, and I had it ;) .

figure9

figure9 Well-Known Member

:p can moderators read pm's ? :p :whistle:

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Yes.

Don't be doing that, either.

Mark

add him to msn/aim/icq. at least it's off the forums.

Bryan

Bryan Guest

Yes.

Don't be doing that, either. [/b][/quote]
    That's not in public. No one could read them so it would be impossible for us to get shut down. It's basically the same thing as doing it on AIM.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

No matter any situation.

If you want an answer to the point where an mp3 is legal, I'll give you one, so listen up.

Pay for the song, and then you can get the mp3. Good enough, eh? You pay, you download, it's not illigal :).

Now really... if you know where to look, you can basically get absolutely anything you want. You just need to know where to look.

A site such as LPA CANNOT what-so-ever promote mp3 file sharing. Why? Because it's not legal and can be accused of being a site that is sharing pirated material. Technically The Morning After is a bootleg. It wasn't released officially, so it's a bootleg. Bootlegs are also illigal :mellow:. So your example was not a good one because if I am right... The Morning After is a bootleg :p.

Large site + Promoting pirated material = No-no³

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

That's not in public. No one could read them so it would be impossible for us to get shut down. It's basically the same thing as doing it on AIM. [/b][/quote]
    They're still using our forums as a medium for getting music to one another and it makes it illegal.

Bryan

Bryan Guest

They're still using our forums as a medium for getting music to one another and it makes it illegal. [/b][/quote]
    I get what your saying.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Basically, if the RIAA suspects anyone of file sharing on the forums, even in PM, they could make us give copies of all the PMs

Bryan

Bryan Guest

I'd just delete them and say "Oops, sorry, I deleted them! hehe" :lol:

Anthony.

Last time I deleted PMs (someone sent 30 PMs promoting an opponent site) on my board people wanted our (the admin team) death :D . So just a suggestion don't tell you can check em anymore :D .

OK, The Morning After was a bad one :D . But why were some Mp3s listed on this site then (ok I'm asking too much questions, I should shut up no need to tell it ;) )

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

how did the UK get the numb video? did they steal it from the WBR offices? or Mike's house? They're getting to see it early, which is not fair anyway so why aren't they being punished by the LPU? Is this revenge for it being difficult for fans outside North America to join the LPU?

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

There's a difference between supplying and requesting.

And as you can see, LPA only supplies rare audio files. It's okay to supply the rare material, but it's more based on this is a forum... Not a website. It's like going into a conversation and asking that they send you a pirated song. It's not the fact that the site is supplying mp3s (they don't even work so there is no actual problem at the moment)--it's just the fact that if the LPA lets anyone request mp3s, then people would just come here for any mp3 and then leave. It's basically just a system that'll screw the LPA over. They forbid mp3 requests so that they can stay online. Like I said--In any case, another website WILL either let you request mp3s OR... you could use IRC, Kazaa, etc. Going to a fansite just to request someone send them an mp3 is very illogical in my opinion. It's like saying...

"Oh hi there RIAA, I was wondering if you could give me this mp3--I mean I see sites with other stuff on their sites that are rare, so why not just hand me all of those pretty little mp3s?" It sounds stupid, but it's the same thing. It's like asking for something to be handed to you.

Like I said--Pay and you will recieve without being hit with legal laws ;).

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

Well then where can we buy the numb video on dvd? :p