An Open Letter From Linkin Park About ATS

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Linkin Park have chosen to write their own press articles for ATS, and it's very different from anything you have read before. The first is a message from the band. The second is the ATS album description. Check them out below.

-------------

1) A THOUSAND SUNS

Whenever we finish an album, it's usually coupled with a block of text meant to describe it. The record company pays a “reputable” writer to craft their most exciting description of the music, in the hopes that it will help convince you to like it. But it seems to us that words usually don't do a great job of defining the sound of an album, so we thought we’d try something different and just tell you, directly from us, what was on our minds as we set out to make our new album, A Thousand Suns. We’ll leave the rest up to you.

Before you hear the music, we wanted you to know that this album was put together to be enjoyed as that: an album. We’re aware that many people are accustomed to small, single-song servings. In spite of that (or maybe because of it), we mean for this album to take you on a journey. If you decide to listen to the album in pieces, that’s fine; we just wanted to let you know there’s a part of the experience that only works when you listen to A Thousand Suns from beginning to end.

Listening to some of our favorite albums, it’s easy to forget that there was a moment in time, before their release, when they were just a crazy idea to an artist. We tried to keep that moment in mind as we were making this record. It provided us with the inspiration to take chances and not worry if at first something we tried was different or weird.

If you are already familiar with our band, you may notice a difference in the sound of this one. Part of it is because we love to try new things, and part of it is because there has been a sound that we've been waiting for in modern alternative music. We worked with Rick Rubin again on this record (he co-produced our last record) because he understood our vision of trying to capture this new sound.

We hope you enjoy the music and will come talk to us at www.linkinpark.com.

Brad, Chester, Dave, Joe, Mike, and Rob

PS: The people who work hard to promote our band wanted us to add a bunch of stats right here that are meant to impress you. We didn’t like that idea but, as a compromise, we agreed that we’d provide this link in case you want any of this information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linkin_Park. We said that we’re pretty sure you’ve heard of Wikipedia but they didn’t believe us.

2) A THOUSAND SUNS | ALBUM DESCRIPTION

We were not making an album.

For months, we'd been destroying and rebuilding our band. The experiments that resulted filled the studio hard drive with diverse, abstract sounds. Amorphous echoes, cacophonous samples, and handmade staccato merged into wandering, elusive melody. Each track felt like a hallucination.

We didn't know if any of those unorthodox ideas could be incorporated into a traditional album, but we knew we didn't want our next album to be predictable. Sitting together in the same studio where we made our first album, all six of us voiced a commitment to going out on a limb, to making something truly daring. We asked ourselves: were we all earnestly willing, more than ever before, to abandon the precepts of commercial ambition in pursuit of what we believe to be honest art?

The inclination to begin writing conventional songs for a conventional album came and went. The temptation to adjust our creative vision to fulfill expectations beyond our studio walls yielded to the audacious ambition of what he hoped to achieve as a band. The two years of making A Thousand Suns marked our exhilarating, surrealistic, and often challenging journey into the creative unknown.

On the eve of its completion, this body of work, assembled through unconscious inspiration and unmitigated exertion, has revealed to us notions both stirring and surprising. The album's personified imagery is neither dogma nor political premeditation. The emergent themes and metaphors illuminate a uniquely human story.

A Thousand Suns grapples with the personal cycle of pride, destruction, and regret. In life, like in dreams, this sequence is not always linear. And, sometimes, true remorse penetrates the devastating cycle. The hope, of course, springs from the notion that the possibility of change is born in our most harrowing moments.

Enjoy the music.

Linkin Park

Source: WB via ana Phoenix-Farrell.org

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

Want proof that LP is a smart band? There is it. One of the best things written by the guys. Awesome, awesome read.

ana

ana anaPHX LPA VIP

As I just tweeted: I print it out and let it sign by the band, and then frame it.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Very interesting read. Thanks. :)

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

The 2nd letter is inspiring. It shows that this album really means a lot to the band, more so than any album they've made in the past. Bless this band. They really are humble guys and deserve the success they've had to date.

ana

ana anaPHX LPA VIP

@all haters:

I dont want you to change your mind or whatever, but please after you have read this letter...overthink it again... I mean they are risking a lot and they need all their fan's support on it. Even if you hate the album, show your support for all the good albums they did before...
    if you do hate it, think: a fan has to go through the good and bad times.

(note: im not calling ATS a bad time, just if a fan hates the album = his bad time)

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Haters will be haters, there's no changing it and it's their opinion so it's best to let it go. Some people will never move on because they're stubborn and others will not move on because they genuinely don't like it. But I think I get what you're saying. Thanks for sharing once again. I enjoyed reading it a lot.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

This is amazing. I'm so glad this band has done something that is truly something they, and they only, wanted to make.

Even if I dislike it, which I doubt I will, I'll still be proud of it.

ALivingGrudge

ALivingGrudge We are saints made of plaster.

My hope in this band/album just increased at least tenfold.

THAT'S the attitude that I've been waiting for from this band for ages.

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

[​IMG]

I fell in love with Linkin Park all over again from reading this. That hasn't happened since Monday!

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Where was this article originally put up? :)

Or did Phoenix-Farrell.org receive it directly?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
    Mitch

Mitch YTB

It has been said before, but I reckon it's great they are making the music the way they want to, instead of writing under pressure from the record company.

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

Will this be on the booklet of ATS?

ALivingGrudge

ALivingGrudge We are saints made of plaster.

Probably not, but that would be awesome if it was.

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

Im honestly thinking that this album will be the product of pure creativity from the band with minimal outside influence. I think this will be their best work to date. They seem proud of what they have made and that tells me more than ever that this WILL be their shining moment. Fingers crossed! :drevil:

skyzlmt

skyzlmt Well-Known Member

Great idea Ana. A signed copy of this on the wall would be great. Hopefully they have an ATS release party in LA like they did for M2M.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Anyone else get the feeling they're really just bracing for scathing reviews?

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

People like to hate what they don't understand. I guarantee you half the reviewers will criticize it for not being "pop" enough.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I really admire bands that are intelligent. This was such a great read! ATS may just top Hybrid Theory. Let's hope so.

Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

@Blackee

A little bit.

At the very least, I'd like to see them give LP due credit for an improvement in lyrics. If The Catalyst is any indication of how ATS will be lyrically, I don't want to see any more of those cliched reviews where "LP can't get past their angsty lyrics".

That said, I feel like there will be a disgruntled journalist or two that will see lyrics like this and call it fake sounding and lame because it came from the "angsty Linkin Park".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.