After listening? Do we need to?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by elie, May 4, 2007.

elie

elie Well-Known Member

(I wrote this in response to the similarly titled topic, but I decided to make it a thread of its own because I'm sure it would deviate the other persons thread. So out of respect for that thread, this one:)

I honestly haven't heard the album yet, i'm waiting until the release...but from what i've heard, read, etc...I have a question, "What is your idea of maturity?" The songwriting from a song I heard "Bring that chorus in...", I'm not sure what song, one of the first four I believe. Just because Chester sings more, less Mike, doesn't make them sound mature. Different, yes, mature, not necessarily. Also, they take political stands...again, different, not necessarily mature. The most mature stance to take on a subject, in a public light, might be a neutral one, or one of much more subtly.

Oh, and the BS that has fornicated itself amongst Linkin Park discussion, "Mike doesn't rap, but he's doing other stuff...you know, guitar and shettt (imitating Pablo Francisco girl voice, haha)." Well, to tell you the truth, Mike may be a talented individual, and he may know how to play the guitar...but his amazingness, if you would like to credit him with one, is rapping. Neither him, nor Brad for that matter are THAT good of guitar players to justify him rapping less. "We needed Mike on guitar..err...Piano..errr..." Haha, what bullshit, I mean, we've heard a song like "In The End" for example, a perfect harmony of piano, rock, rapping, singing.

Like I said, I haven't heard the entire album...but I guess i'm just not too happy with some of the interviews i've seen (that interview with Chester, I want to say it was the Spin article, not too sure). So...to conclude...yes, Linkin Park has aged 8 years...but so have their original fans...sift through the bullshit, and like one of my professors told me...question everything...even if it is your favorite band.

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

I don't really know what definition of maturity you're using, but if it's that the lyrics are more deep and the music more profound, then no, they did not mature. In fact, with their random usage of vulgarity (that to me seemed to be there just for the sake of being there) showed signs of losing a bit of maturity. Their lyrics, and this is just my opinion, seem to lack the bit of poeticalness that I feel they had in their previous albums (Hybrid Theory more so, for I felt Meteora lacked this as well). However, I'm willing to say that I like Minutes to Midnight. It may lack maturity and may lack the bit of Linkin Park that I first knew, but it has something that pulls me in. Even without the deep and meaningful lyrics I so love, I still enjoy the songs I've heard and do feel they have somewhat a meaning even though they lack the power that the songs in Hybrid Theory had.

In layman's terms:

Hybrid Theory > Minutes to Midnight > Meteora

(I'm not including Collision Course or Reanimation because they're simply remix albums - also, Fort Minor is not Linkin Park to me so in no way can I compare that to them)

lparks41

lparks41 Well-Known Member

I don't know about maturity, not real sure about it, but this is Linkin Park's deepest album and a lot of the songs I really love, but I'm not sure if it's their best. But I'm not disappointed by it, it's really great music.

samedirection

samedirection Member

I half agree with you. The cussing does seem really unnecessary to me as well-Mike's raps would have worked equally well without the f-bomb, and I probably would have respected them more.

In my opinion, though, this album has the best lyrics they're ever written. Hybrid Theory's lyrics weren't all that great on a whole, and Meteora's lyrical content was basically just a rehash of what they'd done on HT.

Even "In the End", what most people consider to be Linkin Park's crowning achievement, failed in that regard:

"Are you lost in your lies?
    Do you tell yourself 'I don't realize'?
    Replaced freedom with fear, you trade money for lies,
    I'm aware of what you've done."

is, IMO, much better than

"I've put my trust in you, pushed as far as I can go,
    For all this, there's only one thing you should know."

I have absolutely no idea why people are dissing MTM's lyrics...

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

In The End, though a good song in it's own right, never was one of my favorites. The kind of lyrics I was talking about that I loved in Hybrid Theory were along the lines of:

"A little piece of paper with a picture drawn
    Floats on down the street till the wind is gone
    The memory now is like the picture was then
    When the paper's crumpled up it can't be perfect again"

Minutes to Midnight, while, as you showed, does have its moments of greatness lyrically, seems to be filled with hoo blah blah like the following:

"Put me out of my misery
    Put me out of my misery
    Put me out of my
    Put me out of my fucking misery!"

Still, it's a good album. I just miss the symbolism and metaphors. I liked that about Linkin Park. They seem to be more straightforward in M2M and while that is somewhat of a disappointment, I still enjoy the album very much.

mexi-nugget

mexi-nugget New Member

I hear what you all are saying, but I do believe this is a more mature album. The topics are much deeper than the usual teenage angsty stuff. I really like it and as I have been saying on other forums, I think you need to be an adult to truly appreciate it. There are aspects of the album I don't like (like all the vulgar swearing and the "Amen" crap and the constant clapping throughout) but overall I am very pleased with it and will buy the explicit version and the edited versions! I just really like this new side of LP. I'm proud of them. :mike:

Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

very colourful first post. welcome

samedirection

samedirection Member

Eh, tou che. At the very least, they're both way better than Meteora.