A Thousand Suns 6 Track Sampler Review

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

French magazine 'Musique Mag' have given a review of the six track sampler, detailing the sound and the lengths of the tracks:

The listening party took place Friday, July 16th where Warner plays a few songs from the new album of Linkin Park, A Thousand Suns, inwhich the release is fixed at 13 September. Two management representatives of Linkin Park arrive in the early afternoon with their luggage and a disk that is half of the album, six titles. Listening takes place in the office of Alain Veille, the boss of the label WEA. After signing the usual privacy policies, the U.S staff begin the first track.

1) Blackout [4'39 "]
    It starts with a long intro with successive drums, keyboard, and finally the vocals in the background. Chester Bennington is the only one to give voice to the first verse in which the rhythm is almost dancing. A big break that recalls the excellent electro Reanimation (the remix album of Hybrid Theory) breaks the rhythm of the song. Mike Shinoda doesn't make an appearance until the bridge/climax. He calmly raises his voice, then the piece remounts in power. The title ends with an a cappella singers of both.

2) Wretches & Kings [4'13 "]
    It begins with what could be the voice of a leader who is giving a political speech. An electric guitar riff begins the track. Mike Shinoda raps over the entire first verse. The choruses are chanted by Chester ("Hey! "Hey!"). Unlike the first track played, Mike Shinoda, who co-produced the album with Rick Rubin (Slayer, Metallica, Slipknot), is very present on this title.

3) Waiting For The End [4'00 "]
    A guitar and a piano introduces the third piece. The song of Mike Shinoda on the verse is pretty amazing, almost ragga! The chorus is not really identifiable with the first listen. The track runs itself without real structure. Linkin Park abandons the traditional verse / chorus. Note that for the first time in the discography of Linkin Park, Brad Delson places a guitar solo on the end of the song.

4) Robot Boy [4'35 "]
    On this track, the tempo is slower than the first three. The intensity of the song goes crescendo, like the other titles there is a lack of a real chorus which isn't easily identifiable. Linkin Park have therefore decided to make an album that will not go down well in radio?

5) Burning In The Skies [4'26 "]
    Of the six titles, this is without question one of the most surprising. Like what could be "Breaking The Habit" on Meteora, this piece, where Chester sings alone stands out from the rest by its lack of thickness. No guitar is heard before the third minute. Chester repeated many times "I'm Losing What I Do not Deserve". Potential title: "What I Do not Deserve".

6) "The Catalyst"[5'42"]
    The first single from the disc. Here, we expect a more formatted way in the spirit of what Linkin Park has always offered on the previous albums... Well, no. It will again be necessary to replay this again. For once, we are very far from a "Somewhere I Belong" (Meteora, 2003) or "What I've Done" (Minutes To Midnight, 2007). The name of the album, A Thousand Suns, is taken from the lyrics of "The Catalyst". An amusing detail, we note that the piano part that comes at the end of the piece bears an eerie resemblance to the song "The Great Secret" of Indochina and Melissa Auf Der Maur!

Listening to these six titles, it appears with the pleasant impression that Linkin Park took a real risk with this album: Finished formatted songs and radio jingles. According to information from the press officer of WEA, the other six pieces are much more focused on guitars. The album promises to be a tasty mix of electro experimentation on one side and big rock songs on the other. Stay tuned...
    ----
    They clearly state this is half of the album and there will be a total of 12 tracks overall.

UPDATE: In two of Mike's tweets on 21st July, he is quick to disregard the information of the album having 12 tracks, and that the other half are "big rock songs". See them here & here, or reads them below.

You can check out the full article in French here. What are your thoughts from this review? Let us know in our comments section.

Source: Musique Mag via Passport

lpfaneki

lpfaneki i don't know what's worth fighting for

Listening to these six titles, it appears with the pleasant impression that Linkin Park took a real risk with this album: Finished formatted songs and radio jingles. According to information from the press officer of WEA, the other six pieces are much more focused on guitars. The album promises to a tasty mix of electro experimentation on one side and big rock songs of the other.

i am not very optimistic ....

Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

Did you use Google translator or something? Anyway, not the usual 3:30 LP tracks eh? :)

Joe

Yes, our member Passport did.

LPFaneki: How can you not be excited by this? This is EXACTLY what I wanted, and expected. This is going to be their best album yet, I've been saying it all along and this just makes me believe it even more.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I can't exactly take full credit for the article. Like I said when I posted, I found it on LPLive.

I can however take credit for the original source page, since it wasn't linked anywhere in their news post.

Just want to put that out there in case people decide to go batshit insane. No harm no foul, just spreading the ATS pre-release love.

Cyanide

Cyanide 1989

I like what I'm reading so far. Glad the songs don't follow a specific structure and they are not so radio friendly. That's all I could ask for. The Catalyst is a beast! Hope they have more 5 minute or even 6 minute songs. Overall, very excited for what's to come.

lpfaneki

man .... i just Liked LP like 3.30 - 4.00 min legth song ....

and i like a LOT their Uniqueness ! MTM was not so diferent from the previous albums ... i think this album will be a TOTAL CHANGE .......

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

The translation is HORRIBLE, but from what I gather it's a very risky, very experimental (and certainly not formulaic) album. This is what I pleaded with the band in threads on here to do for years. I am extremely excited. Bring on September!

Spiderguy252

I hope it's not as murky as the English above, that's all. ;)

lpfaneki

ehh do we have a french guy to translate ?? :D :p

Joe

Passport: Thanks, I ran the article through translation anyway and tried to correct some missing errors, but didn't want to alter the translation completely by putting words in their mouths.

I'm afraid without doing that, this murky translation is all we have. I find it to be quite coherent than some translations, haha. At least I can make out what they're on about.

Shayan86

Shayan86 Well-Known Member

Not the usual 3 minute songs, no verse-chorus formula, guitar solos, surprising rhymes, no radio friendly tunes, Lord, I'm in heaven! Bring on September!

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

LP HELP ME OUT!

Cyanide

Cyanide 1989

I seriously hope this sampler leaks soon. :p

Spiderguy252

I guess it's just a matter of time before we see a Frenchman out here.:awesome:

Don't those description closely resemble the song structure of TLTGYA?

Joe

Guys, I'm constantly changing the track descriptions into a better translations, keep checking them. Track one starts with successive drums, not battery, and the second one starts with political speech. Keep checking the first post for updated translations that may not have made sense before.

Spiderguy252

Political Speech?!?:eek:

Sounds like Resurrection.

Shayan86

Shayan86 Well-Known Member

Somehow yes, they do. And I really like that song :) Then again, maybe it's a bit premature to make comparisons at this moment when we haven't listened to the songs yet, but those descriptions exactly look like what I was waiting for from LP.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Sounds very interesting. Roll on September 13th!

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I love what I just read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.