ATS Preview Clips Coming 2 Weeks Before Release

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

320?

Hell no.

Has to be the CD or a FLAC rip.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

We may get it in a higher quality, but thats iffy right there. Its not really relevant to me what bit-rate it is, as long as I get the music when promised, since I payed 150 dollars just to listen to some music.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
    deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Well I meant if the album leaks.

I'm sure the clips will be in 320.

Nemesis23

Nemesis23 Well-Known Member

I myself am an audiophile, and 320 is tolerable.
    To put it into english the best i can, heres what happens when you encode something to mp3 format regardless of the bitrate.

First, when you bounce(transfer) audio from a studio rig to a cd, you are already losing quality. The data is pressed onto the cd instead of being burned, so you still retain as much data as possible, but the only way to truely experience the full song is to hear it on studio monitors using the source file. Unfortunately, only the band and a select group of people will ever be that lucky.

You can rip the cd to FLAC, or lossless audio, which essentially means that you arent losing any data directly from the cd. so you are hearing CD quality.

when you rip it to mp3, you lose actual audio data. The computer then tries to fill in the blanks with what it thinks is there, based on what is left from the rip. This "filler" data then produces ALIASING, and with that comes white noise, or audio in a certain frequency range, which is most noticable in the snare and cymbals. So instead of hearing a true snare or hi-hat hit, you hear most of that hit, coupled in with what the computer thinks is supposed to be there, so you dont get the true sound.

I probably just confused people more than i helped lol. theres more to it but that would just make it worse.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

And if you really want to get really technical on this. The CD is made up of tiny little shapes that reflect light, to represent digital bits (0's and 1's) which means the CD was pressed under some (although high) sampling rate. So if you wanna hear true Ultimate Quality, hear the band in person*.

WARNING: make sure you are not prone to passing out when hearing music of that quality.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

For me, I'm not gonna listen to mp3 of ATS if it leaks, even if it's 320kbps.
    It's one hell of an experience, and I certainly don't wanna waste it.

Rohit LP

Rohit LP The Silent Red

if only einstien cud make d tym go fast also..

Jeff

Why would it be a waste? Provided its not the ABSOLUTE best you can get, but I mean come on now.

I swear some people are rather spoiled when it comes to "quality" of music. Music is meant to be appreciated in all shapes and sizes. Is it really NECESSARY that you have the absolute best you can get? I will never understand why people want the best of the best out of anything. What would you people do back when we had to listen to music through 8-Track tapes and vinyl, which wasn't great quality to begin with? Just completely ignore the music?

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I'm going to try and man up and delete the email with the previews as soon as I see it. I'm already planning on not coming to this site until after the album drops starting on Thursday, so if I delete the email then I'll have no way of going back and listening to them.

Hopefully I have the sheer willpower to do that though. lol

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

FLAC is also not a very software friendly format. And it takes up my hard drive space. I'm keeping my mp3's.

Nemesis23

Its not a waste, but being involved in sound engineering is a blessing, and a curse. I love knowing what techniques and stuff they use on the album, but i hate it at the same time because it almost takes the magic out of music. Kind of like when you eat mcdonalds as a kid, and then you learn how everything is made...and its just not the same. you'll eat it, but you'll never have that magic hamburger ever again lol. I personally can listen to 320 mp3's no problem, but when it comes down to 128, theres so much aliasing that it becomes annoying. I personally hate when i'm in a buddies car listening to their ipod or what have you, and they have crap quality music downloaded from limewire. The difference between 128 kbps and FLAC is night and day, and theres really no way to describe it. It just has to be experienced.

Nemesis23

Lol. I completely agree with you. The only true way to experience it is live. I touched on cd's already being lesser than the source file on a studio rig, but i didnt want to get too techinal.

Sorry for the double post btw.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

A week from now for me, or maybe another day on. Fuck yeah *thumbs up*

rafey

rafey Member

Wait, so if I pre-order the CD/DVD, I should have the hard copy by the 14th? That was my worry earlier which is why I didn't pre-order.

Jeff

From the official LP preorder site

HOWEVER, if you are from another country, there may be little waiting involved in getting a hard copy, since imports go through customs and that slows down the process.

rafey

rafey Member

Thanks! I'm from Canada though so it shouldn't be too big of a problem.
    Now to decide whether to buy it in store and savor the experience, or pre-order. Decisions decisions :)

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Australians get the Deluxe Package shipped on the 15th of October.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

Hey, chill man, just chill.
    All I wanted to say is that, if I had the choice of listening to my favourite music with better quality, why wouldn't I wait a bit longer until I have the CD in my hands?
    I am NOT the kind of 'people' you had categorized as only listening to the best quality of music, you had completely got me wrong. And to be honest, I've got almost half of the music in my drive that aren't even 320kbps, but I still enjoy listening to them, because I DO 'appreciate music in all shapes and sizes'. I just wanted to have a better first-time experience of what I've been waiting for so long, that's all.
    Furthermore, the biggest point I was attempting to address was that, I am not planning to illegally download any leaks of the album, and that I wanna enjoy the music after buying the album, as an act of respect to the band.

I sincerely hope you read this so we can clear off any unnecessary misunderstanding.

ana

ana anaPHX LPA VIP

YES!!!!

and NO for the 14th! -> anyway it's out in Germany the 10th..

and it will probably be 320...the catalyst mp3 you got when you pre-ordered is 320...

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I'll try not to listen to any of these clips, but who knows.. I'll probably crack ended up listening to one or two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.