The Catalyst Out Now!

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I listened with random headset headphones, but I enjoyed it even more with them :lol:.

Honestly, this has grown on me rather rapidly. Hope it lasts.

2. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

I see what you're saying, but I said the vocals don't change as well, which gives the musical changes and nuances that much more focus. Also, "proggy" was one persons opinion, who was just some random guy at a radio station, the band never said that. You probably shouldn't base your expectations on some random guys opinion.

3. lachina128

lachina128 Well-Known Member

I wanted a change from the usual LP as well as a sound that was reminiscent of Reanimation...and I believe I got it so LP really delivered for me. Now I really can't wait for ATS. Oh and listening to The Catalyst on my eshure headphones = epic win

4. Saoberlinwaves

Saoberlinwaves Banned

Oh and I don't want to hear this much electronic drums on the rest of the album

5. cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

This song along with it's build up has really started 2 grown on me.

6. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Some people need to read what I bolded in the quote. A "fast food" song would not want this. I am very curious to read casual people's review on this song. I'm not saying I care if it's popular. But it will be interesting to see if it does become so.

7. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I LOVE the song. It grows with each listen, and you can pick up something new about it.

Also, regarding the haters on Youtube/Facebook, they just go to solidify my opinion that making Meteora was the biggest mistake of LP's entire career. From the very beginning, they wanted to be innovative and a fresh sound. Rap-rock had never been done before in the way they did it. The huge fanbase HT garnered was due to this awesome sound no one had heard before and that's exactly what the aim of the album was.

Now, obviously the label would want to capitalize on this triumph, so they pressured LP to give us another album, a lesser HT. I'm sure that's not what the band really wanted to do much at all, because IIRC BTH was included and said to be what they next album would sound like even when Meteora was released. The fact that their second album sounded like the first is the real problem that was caused by LP giving in to the label. If they had switched up their sound for the second one, we wouldn't be getting requests for "the old sound" as they would already have moved past it by the second album. Failing to do that was what led to the initial backlash from MTM and even to the Catalyst.

All in all, I'm really happy they've moved past the rut and are making innovative music.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  8. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

I listened to it while working out with earphones and it was just absolutely amazing to listen to. It is a song made to work out to! What it did make me realize is how long of a wait it is from now till September 14 :p

9. Ryez

Ryez Active Member

Whatever happened to their 'we want our music to be raw' idea? These synths seem to go against that philosophy in a big way.

10. Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

For anyone that thought this song might have a religious bent I notice that they say:

"The sins of our father" While that's interesting to me because it seems roughly analogous to "Sins of our god."

11. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I'm going to kindly 100% disagree with what you just said. The synths are badass IMO. And they are "raw".

12. cloudscream

cloudscream Static

I thought that idea was for Minutes to Midnight...

13. kelies

kelies Well-Known Member

That was what they said on Minutes to Midnight, but I don't think it necessarily means raw instruments. In a sense their songwriting and structure is completely raw here compared to the rigid formula they had on songs in Hybrid Theory and Meteora.

14. toxicbszone

toxicbszone Active Member

i really wonder if the express any religious views on this song... or maybe even atheist views

15. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

WID = lets play er safe boyz
    TC = no playin' safe this time round men

Sounds like they scrapped that perception of rawness and perhaps they thought that was a big part of their identity they wanted to change.

16. Saoberlinwaves

Saoberlinwaves Banned

I wish the vocals were more raw

17. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

I whole heartedly agree, good post. :chuck:

18. Tomozaurus

Tomozaurus Well-Known Member

Man, I love the end so much. The part with just Mike singing in particular.

19. punkkidskater

punkkidskater Why So Shinoda?

Mike hasn't confirmed too much via his community tour (saw LP chat/Ustream). The Catalyst video doesn't seem close to finished, they haven't even seen a cut of it.

Mike seems like he knows a lot of the old stuff (HT - Meteora) will be out for the tours. Album seems mixed already. Couldn't catch name of mixer. Did I forget anything else noteworthy to those who kept track?

20. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

@ Shadey: I agree with just about everything you said. However, I felt Meteora took Hybrid Theory to the next level. Meteora is hands down my favorite album of all time, from any band. So many great songs (Faint, Breaking The Habit, Don't Stay, Lying From You, and the list goes on). While Hybrid Theory was amazing, I felt Meteora perfected the rap rock sound. Two albums was a fine amount for that style. Don't get me wrong, I'm SO pleased they've taken their music in a different direction, but I feel I needed to point out that Meteora being a lesser Hybrid Theory was completely an opinionated statement.

That said, I love their new sounds. Valentine's Day, In Pieces, Blackbirds, Across The Line, New Divide, and The Catalyst are all examples of Linkin Park being able to flex all their different musical muscles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.