"Parallels" [a concept album of mine]

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by Hellions, Jul 24, 2010.

Hellions

Hellions Banned

"Parallels" (tentative title) is an idea I've had since a few recent trips to the beach and hours of contemplation about the ocean's depths most likely brought on by playing too much Bioshock. ( :awesome: )

My idea started out as a concept for a short story, but I've more recently adapted it to where I'll be trying to work it into what will be my first EP/album as a musician.

I don't have set in stone lyrics yet and only some laid out plans for songs, but I thought I'd make a thread and use it for updates on all aspects (lyrics, music, and art, which actually makes me wonder where I should post this. I figured this was most likely the best place but correct me if I'm wrong.) and hopefully get some commentary and critique.

The gist of the "story" of this work is that I'll be relying on vague lyrics and double meanings to portray not only the story of a ship at sea, but a shuttle in space simultaneously. It will follow from the beginning of their respective journeys, to finding themselves off course and lost at sea/in space (collectively to be referred to as "The Void" most likely) and their eventual tragic demise. Further details will be worked out but I'm hoping to leave a lot up to interpretation.

I'm referring to it as "Parallels" because as I'm sure you could've guessed, it will highlight similarities I find between the depths of the ocean and the vacuum of space. I've always thought of the ocean as being an equally mysterious and humbling subject as the "final frontier".

A few songs I've been working on so far are "Of Sea and Sky", the intro piece to the album. It builds from a slow clean intro into a hard hitting series of power chords, with the clean melody continuing with distortion, and light strings to add accent and drama. Another track "Caesura" which will be most likely an interlude (or have very minimal lyrics, possibly spoken word) that will lead directly to a turning point in the story, "Sirens", at which the respective crews will begin their demise. I want the ending track to reprise the melody used in the introduction, but with a more atmospheric tone.

Anyhoozle, I'll be posting updates here and hopefully get some feedback as things start coming up. Once again if there's a better place for this feel free to say so.

Start by letting me know what you think of my concepts? I personally think I'm onto something good with is but I'd like to hear more opinions. :)

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

This sounds really cool. It will be very interesting. to see what else you can come up with.

Rohit LP

Rohit LP The Silent Red

sounds interestin..

Ginsy Osiris

Ginsy Osiris Member

There's another Bioshock fan on here!!

I just bailed on the 2K Forums. Not coming back. Why? Well they were nice there but I became too addicted to it.

I love Bioshock :D heheh.

hawk

I am actually more interested now than I was before.
    Cannot wait Adam, goodluck to you man.

Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

I like your ideas already. You could parallel a main character and crew sailing out to sea, but getting lost, in the near contemporary future. Then have a future-esq story involving a great-great grand child of the person lost at sea, however the future relative is captain of a spaceship/shuttle that must find its way back to human civilization. You could involve quotes from each individual that overlap in the stories. For example, "And we voyage; into the unknown, everything we ever had is behind us, and only the unity of my crew, my friends, remains. If we shall fail, who will save our souls? The answer is right in plain sight." Im just visuallizing a boat sailing out of a harbour and fading into a spaceship leaving a dock. The future captain, known as skeptic of supernatural phenomenon but who is afraid to reveal his real beliefs on the matter, could be visited by the ghost of his great-great-grand grandfather during the voyage home. Striking/ obvious parallels could arise.

I really like what you have accomplished already hellions. I thought i would add some to the brain-maelstrom to help you out. Best of luck!

EDIT: lol how bout they actually make it and the last song is called "Cigar." hehe

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
    ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

Can't wait. Love me some Bioshock.

Hellions

Hellions Banned

I'm going to start recording a track called "Voyager" tonight. 3/4 time signature, very floating rhythm. I think it captures the concept very well. It's got a heavy, syncopated bridge that I'm going to try improvising a solo over which may or may not end up in the final version.

hawk

What program are you going to use to create this?
    Also, will you be playing the instrumentals, or will the program you use be the "player" of the instruments? If you know what I mean.

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

Very intrested in this concept. I like the unofficial somewhat idea of a tracklist. The names fit the theme well.

Hellions

Hellions Banned

For demo purposes, I will be playing bass, keyboards/synth and guitar over computer programmed drums. A majority of the synth will be made via midi keyboard with software synthesizers, so it's no less "real" than an actual synth.

hawk

What about a song that is about:
    The unknown in space, the fact that there is so much mysteriousness out there.
    You can even do a 4 verse song, two verses being about [above] and the other two about what deep secrets of the ocean?

You should also get a blog open, give us easier updates that way. Blogger would be good for the situation your using it for.

Hellions

Hellions Banned

I got pretty far into Voyager, decided to take a break for a while, closed the software and accidentally clicked "don't save"

No shit.

Moral of the story: Save often.

Actually, moral of the story: Don't be an idiot.

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

That made me lol. Man I can't wait until this is finished. You should release a preview track, or a single.

hawk

Holy. Fuck. That. Sucks.
    I am sad now....I was really looking forward to this shit.

Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

Is there an auto-save function or any record of the track in your archives? Anyways, you still have the vision and you can make it even better than before.

Hellions

Hellions Banned

The software saves all recordings as I make them, so all my guitar and bass tracks were saved but they're mixed in a folder of upwards of 10gb worth of nondescriptly titled wav files. One handy thing for me to start doing is saving the project with the song name before I even start, so it'll automatically save my recordings with said name attached to the file.

hawk

Well - hopefully you can get back to work and have another go.
    We're still all interested. :D

Hellions

Hellions Banned

Bioshock anticipated my next move:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV_TDxl2UIo

:p

Also haven't really been in the mood for writing or tracking lately but I've gotten ideas that I've kept in mind.

EDIT: Nevermind that previous statement. I'm working on an idea I spontaneously got that so far consists of a 6/4 chorus into a nice heavy "breakdown"-ish 4/4 bridge. It's a more fast paced track (6/4 straight 8th notes at 180bpm for the chorus) and for now as a working title I'm calling it "Infinite" as a nod to the new Bioshock game.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
    hawk

Thats great. Can't wait for it.