Best Band We've Never Heard Of (2)

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Jordan, Apr 16, 2009.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I remember i made one of these a long time ago. I'm going to start it again kay?

Well yeah, recommend bands no one has heard of that are pretty good. detailed descriptions please.

Mourning Tide - Sorry if people already know this one. Mourning Tide are a Southern Hardcore band from Australia I discovered not long ago at a youth week festival in melbourne. Very Every Time I Die influenced I'd say. My friend described them as 'Hardcore Led Zeppelin'. They're very good.

Sleepmakeswaves - Great Post-Rock from Sydney, Australia. I discovered them a while back on the interweb. So far they've released a demo, an ep and a full length split with another great band, Tangled Thoughts Of Leaving.

Lemonsmile
    - Indie Rock (i guess) band from around my area. Very Smiths influenced i'd say. All the people from the band used to go to my school and i've seen them play four times. Very good. Unfortunately, despite winning a huge Victorian Battle Of The Bands, they don't appear to be getting much interest.

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

Halos - Halos is an Indie/Rock band from Orange Country California. They have an amazing uniqueness to them. They have one EP out and a free downloadable Zip file with songs in it equal to another EP. They've played shows with the likes of Circa Survive and other big name bands, as well as playing SXSW a few times

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Sleepmakeswaves are great, going by the tracks on their Myspace.
    Lemonsmile aren't bad either. The music itself is pretty good, although I don't really care for the vocals or lyrics that I heard. That seems to be the area where they fall down when you compare them to more successful bands that probably have similar influences.
    In my opinion Mourning Tide are terrible, though. I have no idea how they've gotten as far as working with Steve Evetts.

I'd listen to Halos but Firefox has suddenly became really reluctant to stream music from Myspace, for some reason.

I'll also post some of my own later.

2xPutt

2xPutt Well-Known Member

The Leo Project - Great rock band that is in the same vein as Saving Abel/Black Stone Cherry, kind of has a small country feel to them. Check out the songs "A Perfect World", "Tonight" and "Half As Good"

The Veer Union - Another great rock band who's song "Seasons" is the WWE Backlash theme song"

Rains - A softer rock band that kind of reminds me of a mix of Trapt and Breaking Benjamin. Favorite songs are "Liar" and "Hurricane"

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

C.A.L.M/Phoenix Mourning

This band is awsome and they're the soul reason why I even like any type of Metalcore/Screamo music. A friend of mine showed them to me in 2003 when they were called C.A.L.M (Creating Aspiring Living Music). They were on all those garage band sites but my friend found them from the old mp3.com. They released 3 EP's under that name. They then changed to The Calm, and when they were in the process of making their first album, they had to change their name to Phoenix Mourning. They eventually released their album, When Excuses Become Antiques, and then broke up again and now I think each member went to two or three different bands.

Discography:

Calm (2001)
    1. Affixed Aura
    2. The Scarring of Mind
    3. Envy
    4. Sin of Silence

Ascending to Twenty-Five (2002)
    1. Ascending to Twenty-Five
    2. Your Own Tears
    3. A Whisper Remains
    4. The Ashes of Memories

In a Place Called Perfect (2003)
    1.Porcelain
    2. In a Place Called Perfect
    3. Winter
    4. Confessions of a Photograph

(as Phoenix Mourning)

When Excuses Become Antuiqes (2006)
    1. Across Twenty-Six Winters
    2. Contrast
    3. Niche'
    4. One January Morning
    5. When the Sky Falls
    6. From Afar
    7. A New Decor
    8. Etched
    9. The Ornament
    10. Waiting for the King
    11. My Future Actress
    12. Glass Kiss
    13. 12.5

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
    Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

BOYS - Indie/Pop/Female vocals/Singer-Songwriter
    to make sure it was a band that you've never heard of and still impressed me with their music.

Myspace Facebook Youtube

You should definitely take a look at their Facebook videos. Sadly, they haven't made any records yet.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Lemonsmile's vocals and such seem to be getting better with each new release. I think their singer sing like that deliberately for some reason though. As for Mourning Tide, I don't really enjoy the tracks on myspace, they were much better live. A lot of people on last.fm are saying that their first ep was much better than their album, if you can find it you might want to give it a listen.

I'll listen to everyone else's when this album finishes.

Disturbedthoughts

Disturbedthoughts *Twitch*

Heavenwood. It's a Portuguese Gothic Metal band. Their sound varies across their three albums. Diva (1996) is their worst IMO while Redemption (2008) and Swallow (1998) are both really good. Redemption is harder with more screaming vocals while Swallow is more experimental with lots of piano. I think they broke up between Swallow and Redemption, not sure though. They do have a myspace where you can listen to Redemption.

Ophelia

Ophelia LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Picture Me Broken. (Formerly known as Lane Four)

I saw this band last summer at the Mountain View show of Projekt Revolution, they were one of the bands that won the local talent showcase contests that LP sponsored. I was amazed at how good they were given that they were all 16 years old.

Taken from their myspace page (http://www.myspace.com/picturemebroken)

Picture Me Broken emerged in year 2005 under the name Lane Four playing classic rock covers as 12 year-olds. After entering the KFOX Last Band Standing live radio competition and placing 2nd they decided to get serious about the band and eventually went on to win another competition through KFOX that earned them a spot opening for The Doobie Brothers at Shoreline Ampitheatre.

Their lead singer Layla is the daughter of Greg Allman, who is very well known in the music industry in his own right. For her age, she has an exceptional voice, and I think that they have a lot of promise as they get older.

[YOUTUBE]Q5DsMSwRm9U[/YOUTUBE]

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Little Birdy Great Aussie band to me. In love with their song Come On Come On
    Simia Dei - Saw them live at the Metro and got their album Seven for free in a music store. Love their song Four Feathers.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
    Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

The Pierces

Sister duo with a different style of music. Highlight songs are Secrets, Ruin, It Was You.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Perpetual Groove

Before Friday night, I had never heard of this band. Going into the show, I thought they were just some college kids trying to make techno or something, but I payed $5 to get into their free show for the Sewanee college kids, and it was fucking amazing. These guys are far, far from college kids (significantly older), are more talented and the music isn't even close to techno. It's freeform dirty southern rock with jazz and funk breakdowns, and epically long songs, live at least. They're what Phish and other jambands should be, but aren't.

They really need to be heard/seen live to really catch the essence of why they're awesome. Bands like this don't really translate to record very well, but even their CDs are good in their own right. Luckily for everyone that's interested and wants to hear them live but can't because of tour date locations, money, etc., they've made it readily available for people to tape and distribute their shows online on archive.org, so check that out for sure. I just copped the Sewanee show I attended.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Ooh, I remember them. ^_^

think i'm a fire engine

think i'm a fire engine Well-Known Member

My absolute favorite, favorite, favorite local band around my parts is called Betrayed With A Kiss. They got enough metal in them to rock out real good and enough melody to satisfy even those who aren't traditionally fans of metal. And their bassist is hotter than any bassist Smashing Pumpkins has had in 10 years.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
    Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Alestorm

Pirate metal. For serious.

MOST Hated

MOST Hated Member

Seeded Crown/C.A.L.M.

Seeded Crown:
    Vocals - Jeremiah Ruff
    Drums - Kerry DeWitt
    Guitar - Pete Joseph
    Bass - Corey Donell
    DJ/Sampler - Shane Neville

Calm:
    Vocals - Jeremiah Ruff
    Drums - Kerry DeWitt
    Guitar - Ahmed Smith
    Guitar - Jay Vilardi
    Guitar - Greg Hupchick
    Bass - Corey Floyd

Seeded Crown- Please Remain Seeded

1) Giving in
    2) Suffer
    3) Wake Up Call
    4) Make No Mistake
    5) I Didn't Ask For This
    6) Covet
    8) For What It's Worth

This Album Is Great. They used movie samples
    for some of the songs intro's from, Titanic, House of 1000 corpses and Pulp Fiction
    Definitely worth checking out.

Here I Believe Are Fan Made Or Old Myspace Links
    If You Wanna Check Out Their Sound.

Seeded Crown http://www.myspace.com/seededxcrown

The Calm http://www.myspace.com/musicthecalm

Calm http://www.myspace.com/calmfans

New!
    Jeremiah Ruff http://www.myspace.com/jeremiahruff

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
    Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Muse.

Klootzak

Klootzak Well-Known Member

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Do you know where I could find their pre-C.A.L.M. stuff? I've heard of it, and the name, but could never find anything and would be a great addition to the stuff I have from them now.