Virus Software

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Ophelia, May 26, 2009.

Ophelia

Ophelia LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

The one that I have currently is the one that came with my computer, and I had a 1 year subscription. It expires next week, and I can't really afford to pay for another year.

Can anyone recommend a good freeware program I can use? I have a PC with the Windows Vista operating system.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

AVG Anti-Virus Free Version. It's the program that Dell set me up with when my subscription expired. It's a pretty decent scanner and it has done the job. not to mention that alongside this, your computer has Windows Defender and if you've been downloading the updates, you shouldn't experience any problems.

At least, it has worked for me.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

I second that. Worked for Dell myself, always recommend and use it.

JNudda

JNudda Guest

I third that. And once you can afford it, I would highly recommend their firewall aswell.

Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

A-squared is good for getting the malware and stuff that AVG doesn't get, and Ad-Aware is really great at getting rid of adware on your computer (it's designed to do pretty much specifically that, so that's a great thing to have).

But yeah, I say download AVG, and possibly look into the other two I mentioned.

segamen

segamen New Member

AVG is good but it takes a longer time to complete a scan than Ad-Aware. But I recommand AVG as its a free anti-virus software

barnes80

barnes80 Well-Known Member

I'd recomend Avast. It's completely free for home use. I get updates almost every day of new viruses and codes so they are always improving it. It works for both files on your computer and finds viruses on websites and even phishing sites. It has the ability to scan while in safe mode. Scheduled scan times. etc etc.

Only downside in my opinion is that when you download it, you have to register it to use it, and you must re register once a year or so. Its just so that they can track how used their software is but if you are like me, you will keep ignoring all the ReRegister Soon warnings until it stops working all together haha. Also sometimes it is a tad over sensitive which I'm not sure if its a bad thing or not. I like to set up No CD cracks for all my software and games so I don't have to put in the cd every time but Avast detects the crack as a virus so I have to ignore it every time I do so, but again really not that big of a deal.

I've also heard good things about AVG as others have suggested so either one should be good.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

But ad-aware isn't a virus scanner :)