The Great Debate - C-Section Versus Natural Childbirth

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Gloomy Mushroom, Feb 18, 2009.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

I saw a story on this last night on the idiot box as photos of Naomi Watts' stretch marks had just been photographed and it touched on the debate of women going through natural birth or having a C-section by appointment.

Now I have a couple of things to point out about both sides of the argument the pros and cons:

Pros of natural childbirth:

* Most natural childbirth techniques are not invasive, so there's little potential for harm or side effects for you or your baby.

* Many women have a strong sense of empowerment during labor and accomplishment afterward. And despite having to endure pain, many report that they'd opt for an unmedicated birth again the next time. For some women, being in charge helps lessen their perception of pain.

* There's no loss of sensation or alertness. You'll be awake and active during labor and birth — so you can move around more freely and find positions that help you stay comfortable during labor and aid the delivery process when it's time to push your baby out.

* Your partner will feel involved as you work together to manage your pain.

* You don't necessarily need to be hooked up to an IV or monitoring machines, so it's easier to move about — walk if you'd like, take a shower or a bath, and use the toilet instead of a bedpan.

* You're less likely than women who get epidurals to need Pitocin, a vacuum extraction or forceps delivery, or bladder catheterization.

* Breathing exercises, visualization, and self-hypnosis can be practiced ahead of time — and used again later. Many new mothers find themselves drawing on their relaxation techniques in the early days of breastfeeding, while coping with postpartum discomfort, or when caring for a newborn feels especially stressful.

* Natural birth is better for babies, because their internal organs don't have to process the drugs that pass through the placenta (and, yes, everything passes through the placenta). They are more alert at birth, and often have an easier time breastfeeding.

Cons: it can be exhausting, but no one ever said childbirth was a piece of cake!

Pros of c-section: It can be life-saving when the mother and/or the baby are truly in disress.

Cons of c-section:

* Physical problems in mothers: Compared with vaginal birth, cesarean section increases a woman's risk for a number of physical problems. These range from less common but potentially life-threatening problems, including hemorrhage (severe bleeding), blood clots, and bowel obstruction, to much more common concerns such as longer-lasting and more severe pain and infection. Even after recovery from surgery, scarring and adhesion tissue increase risk for ongoing pelvic pain and for twisted bowel.

* Hospitalization of mothers: If a woman has a cesarean, she is more likely to stay in the hospital longer and is at greater risk of being re-hospitalized.

* Emotional well-being of mothers: A woman who has a cesarean section may be at greater risk for poorer overall mental health and some emotional problems. She is also more likely to rate her birth experience poorer than a woman who has had a vaginal birth.

* Early contact with, feelings toward babies: A woman who has a cesarean usually has less early contact with her baby and is more likely to have initial negative feelings about her baby.

* Breastfeeding: Recovery from surgery poses challenges for getting breastfeeding under way, and a baby who was born by cesarean is less likely to be breastfed and get the benefits of breastfeeding.

* Health of babies: Babies born by cesarean are more likely to:
    o be cut during the surgery (usually minor)
    o have breathing difficulties around the time of birth
    o experience asthma in childhood and in adulthood.

* Future reproductive problems for mothers: A cesarean section in this pregnancy puts a woman at risk for future reproductive problems in comparison with a woman who has a vaginal birth. These problems may involve serious complications and medical emergencies. The likelihood of experiencing some of these conditions goes up sharply as the number of previous cesareans increases. These problems include:
    o ectopic pregnancy: pregnancies that develop outside her uterus or within the scar
    o reduced fertility, due to either less ability to become pregnant again or less desire to do so
    o placenta previa: the placenta attaches near or over the opening to her cervix
    o placenta accreta: the placenta grows through the lining of the uterus and into or through the muscle of the uterus
    o placental abruption: the placenta detaches from the uterus before the baby is born
    o rupture of the uterus: the uterine scar gives way during pregnancy or labor.

* Concerns about babies in future pregnancies: A cesarean section in this pregnancy can affect the babies of future pregnancies. Studies have found that they are more likely to:
    o be born too early (preterm)
    o weigh less than they should (low birthweight)
    o have a physical abnormality or injury to their brain or spinal cord
    o die before or shortly after the birth

* Planned cesarean compared with unplanned cesarean: A planned cesarean offers some advantages over an unplanned cesarean (a cesarean that occurs after labor is under way). For example, there may be fewer surgical injuries and fewer infections. The emotional impact of a cesarean that is planned in advance appears to be similar to or somewhat worse than a vaginal birth. By contrast, unplanned cesareans can take a greater emotional toll.

* Planned cesarean compared with vaginal birth: A planned cesarean still involves the risks associated with major surgery. And both planned and unplanned cesareans result in a uterine scar and internal scarring (adhesions). This means women with planned and unplanned cesareans face similar risks in future pregnancies and for problems related to scarring and adhesions at any time

source

Opinions?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
    Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

This solely rests between a pregnant woman and her doctor. A doctor should discuss the pros and cons of a C-section and natural childbirth with her. She obviously cannot make that decision on her own. A doctor would then explain the method that would personally suit her and the baby and steer her in the right direction to have a healthy delivery.

You can list pros and cons but unless you have a doctor's opinion, there is really no debate.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

This sounds like some argument a devout religious person would make: "If it's not vaginal, it's not natural! You're sinning!" Like Andrea said, this should be between a woman and her doctor. If watching some program or reading some article sways a woman to go against what her doctor thinks is best for her, then she's an idiot. A doctor isn't going to put his or her patients in harm's way, and if it comes to that, they're going to tell them the risks they're going to be taking if they are in harm's way.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

It's not always someone's decision. Me and both of my siblings were C-section births because we were orientated in such a way in my mom's womb that if it was a natural birth, if we didn't die, we would've likely had severe brain damage from oxygen deprivation. Any argument over this is stupid. Do whatever the doctor decides is best for the mother and baby.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

If it wasn't for a c-section I wouldn't even be here today because of the reasons listed above by Todd. My mother didn't have a choice and it was the only way I could be delivered without risk to her or me.

Basically...like it or not, this is one thing that isn't always the mother's choice and that is why as Todd said, any 'debate' over this subject is absolutely stupid. Sometimes there is no other choice.

Ophelia

Ophelia LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

I have had 2 c sections, my first was an emergency and my second was planned. I was in labor the first time for 22 hours and my daughter was in distress, and the doctor had tried everything to speed up the delivery, but I had only progressed halfway and got "stuck". I had to deliver my second child before my due date because of having diabetes, and I didn't want to be induced again only to possibly have the same end result. I had complications after my second one, from not healing up because of the diabetes, so I spent an extra day inpatient and also had to return to the ER after being discharged to get stitches. Over all though, rating being in labor and extreme pain for 22 hours and then being so incredibly drugged and exhausted that I was spouting total nonsense for an entire day or having a planned surgery and being coherent after wards, I would go for the planned one.

Now, women that have a planned c section just for the sake of not wanting to go through labor, (Britney Spears is a shining example of this), they are just stupid.

In Brazil, only the poor people have natural deliveries, and I think that's a bit odd, as why anyone would chose to have to recover from major surgery is beyond me. That just seems bizarre to me.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I was a C-section and well my heart still stopped beating and was very close to being pronounced dead. Technically I guess I did die. Also my mom probably would have not made it if not for a C-section with me.

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

What a ridiculous thread. Even if it was debatable your post just screams natural birth is way and way better while in fact lots of mothers don't have a choice. Just like Will said, you strongly remind me of a hardcore religious person. If I were you I'd think before making a new thread in the future.

_cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

there is really no point of arguing about this topic because first of all delivery always depend on the health of the mother and the baby.

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

Exactly my thoughts and situation. My mom had my brother naturally and I was almost a month late, I weighed 10 lbs when I was born and I had to come out with a C - Section.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

When you say you wanted to point out points on both sides of the issue, I thought you meant it. It doesn't really mean the same thing if you list 20 pros for vaginal childbirth, 1 con, and 20 cons for c-section, with one pro.

Like everyone has stated before, there are times when the mother can choose, and times when a C-Section HAS to be done. I really don't think there's any debate about this.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I was gonna say that -- it annoyed me a lot, how biased it seemed. :sleep:

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with what's already said...of course its ideal to have vaginal childbirth but sometimes there isn't any other option! I wonder if "C-Truth" has any opinions on this matter? :p