What Do You Want The Next Record To Be Like?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by The_Cool_Cow, Oct 30, 2008.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

No he's not talking about Bruce Dickinson's solo career, he's talking about THE Bruce Dickinson.

But i think he's way out of the Park's price range. In fact, i think he might of retired. Gone away somewhere maybe.

Firstly, Iron Maiden isn't power metal if that's what you're implying, they are NWOBHM.

Secondly, get out of that Goregrind and Grindcore shit. It's like to metal what crunk is to rap. shit.

And you're missing out on all the good parts of metal, Sludge, Post-metal, Progressive Metal and Jazz/Death fusion.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Haha Yup, we're expecting a little TOO much of em here

I REALLY doubt LP will dive into the hardcore metal scene. They've proved they can do really heavy stuff (NMS, QWERTY etc) and do it brilliantly IMO but I doubt they go too further into that type of genre. Maybe some Metallica'ish tracks but Nothing too crazy.

XVZ

XVZ Banned

Why should I get out of the death metal/gore/goregrind/grindcore scene it's cool and awesome I think, but that's my opinion ;) And yeah crunk is shit it's to ugly. But Metalcore is also a thing what I listen and IM look a little like power metal

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Death Metal is fine, unless it's CC, they suck.

But Grindcore/Goregrind/Cybergrind take little talent, and just sound like shit.

It's not cool.

_cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

hahaha! could be :D

XVZ

XVZ Banned

CC rulez ok :p But yeah I have listened more and more in the years and you know it's cool if you just listen to the background music and you can pit on it at concerts :D

And yeah it could be :p

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

So if you don't want LP sounding like any of these genres, why did you mention that you like them? o_O

All I ask is this:

Brad steps up his guitar playing.
    Chester, well... stays the way he is.
    Mike sings more. I wouldn't mind rapping more, but I'll take singing.
    Phoenix does something other than follow the melody of the guitar.
    Joe continues working on those samples. I finally started digging the stuff he did on MTM.
    Rob steps up drumming, but he's going in the right direction in my opinion.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I would say I agree.

With MTM, at the very least I think Brad varied his repertoire somewhat instead of having most of his parts consist of power chords and more generic sounding nu-metal/hard rock type riffs. Granted, he's not a great guitarist but after MTM I think there are a lot of different directions he could take his playing in and it'll be interesting to see where.

More rapping would be good. I don't really see the issue with having more 'Fort Minor-style' raps in Linkin Park songs, as I remember a lot of people criticising Hands Held High on that basis. I'm not even sure if that would qualify as a typical Fort Minor-style rap but that's something else entirely. He has demonstrated over his recording career that he is actually quite a good rapper. Great flow, some of his lyrics are pretty dodgy but he is capable of writing really good stuff as well. Mike has said that a lot of the raps he recorded in the MTM sessions weren't so good which is fair enough, but I'd be disappointed if that turns out to have been the case with their upcoming album as well. As a vocalist I'd say he is in pretty much the same position as Brad; his work on MTM wasn't necessarily amazing but it has at least opened up new avenues as to what can be introduced to the band's music.

Phoenix still doesn't seem to do a huge amount as of MTM as far as his bass playing is concerned. I've heard one or two Snax songs and I don't think the whole Flea-type funk rock style would really fit in with Linkin Park, but I think it is still evidence that he could probably do more. Of course there are those pictures of him playing the cello in the studio so it will be interesting to see what comes of that, and it's always good to have another multi-instrumentalist in the band besides Mike.

Joe is heading in the right direction. Hopefully he's past the stage where he would just scratch along with the guitar. The same goes for Rob, only even more so. It's probably fair to say that he's the most technically skilled member of the band on current evidence and he's developed pretty well as a drummer. This might start some debate but as far as drummers in more mainstream rock bands go I think he's up there. He isn't as good as Taylor from Foo Fighters but he'd probably be on one of the next couple of tiers, if someone were to devise some sort of tier system for mainstream rock drummers.

I'm not disagreeing with you Minus; I figured that it might seem like I'm challenging what you said at points but I basically just decided to quote your post and state my agreement, but then I ended up typing all of that to expand upon what I thought, haha.

XVZ

XVZ Banned

To many shit for my head :S

_cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

when LP cover Nine Inch Nails Wish song...i think it was so AWESOME :D It was kinda heavy a bit. hahaha

XVZ

XVZ Banned

THAT COVER WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

_cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

Hell Yeah! and I really wish they could cover at least 2 heavy songs from heavy metal bands like Metallica..I think LP will sound good :D

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I was happy with the verses on "Minutes To Midnight" so I wouldn't mind if there was more stuff in that vein for the next album. ^_^ But I agree with just about every other point in your post.

XVZ

XVZ Banned

Hmm verses were cool yeah, but on the other side Mike sang a lot :p

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

MTM was heading a a good direction, I'd just like to see a whole lot more instrumental breaks I think.

XVZ

XVZ Banned

Just the solo's were a cool add to LP I love the solo on LTGYA and IP

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

i want chester to find a good medium between his early vocal style(agressive with crazy screams) and his new style(more melody in his voice)

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah, I wouldn't mind more of that, either. :) But that's not too big a deal at this point.

XVZ

XVZ Banned

Hmm what JH said, it could be cool if Chester could combinate that his old vocals he used on HTEP, HT & Meteora with the new sing style from MTM :)

20. _cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

Oh! P.S. no more lots of rap. I think it was cool for Mike when he had In Between in MTM.It's quite a change and new. It's great actually. Hands Held High made a great impact maybe because of the lyrics itself.