Demo songs

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by DayDreamer, May 11, 2008.

DayDreamer

DayDreamer Member

hey can any one please give me a list of all the Lonkin Park demos??
    i have 13...but i want the full collection....please and thanx:D

LpHDFan

LpHDFan Well-Known Member

Well first there's the differences between demos which have more than one version which Astat has kindly outlined here.

There's also the following.
    Hybrid Theory:
    Now I See (With You - There's differences in effects)

Crawling (Chester screams at the start and Mike has a verse/breakdown with the lyrics "Raindrops" etc.)

Untitled (In The End - Basically Mike has different lyrics for his verses.)

Reanimation:
    Pts.Of.Athrty (Jay Gordon Remix of Points Of Authority that was posted on his remix site)

1stp Klosr (Humble Brothers Remix with a length of 6:13, as opposed to the final version on Reanimation which has a length of 5:46)

Misc:
    DJ Z-Trip Ft. Chester - Walking Dead
    X-Ecutioners Ft. Mike Shinoda & Mr. Hahn - It's Goin' Down (NOT the Promo version)

Hybrid Theory EP:
    Carousel and Part of Me are Post EP Re-Recordings from the 9-Track Hyrbid Theory Demo CD. These have previously been called demos, but are actually re-recordings that didn't make it onto their debut album.

Carousel has a different melody for singing "I never know just why you run".

Part of Me has Chester screaming "Cut myself free".

DayDreamer

DayDreamer Member

wait... let me clarify...i want just LP songs...with no one else... and i already have the following:
    Place for my Head demo (no clue which one)
    Super Xero
    Carousel demo (the one that you mentioned)
    Crawling demo (the one that you mentioned)
    Esaul (both live in Mike's room and studio)
    Rhinestone
    In The End demo (the one that you mentioned)
    Part Of Me demo (the one that you mentioned)
    Points Of Authority demo (both)
    Dedicated
    Now I See
    Plaster

please help me find more or clarify the names to the ones i have

Last edited: May 11, 2008
    LpHDFan

All the ones that have been mentioned are with no one else except the ones under "Reanimation:" and "Misc:". The Dust Brothers contributed to Now I See (With You Demo) and a few on Hybrid Theory have Mark Wakefield listed in the Hybrid Theory booklet.

I needed to mention Plaster, which if you haven't seen it yet, can read about Link: here and Link: here.

Dedicated isn't a demo, it's just a B-Side that didn't make it on to Hybrid Theory EP.

Again, what you have called "Carousel demo" is not a demo as it was recorded after the Hybrid Theory EP and was intended for inclusion on their debut album, however that didn't happen and the rest is history.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
    DayDreamer

DayDreamer Member

yes it does...but what's the difference between a b-side and a demo?? what is a b-side??
    and are there any ones i missed??

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

A b-side can be either of 2 things:

1. A track that is released on a single that isn't the actual single. This term comes from the days of vinyl records, which had an A-side and a B-side. When bands sent out singles to radio, since nobody wanted to waste vinyl and leave a side empty, they would put the single on the A-side and another song (usually one they didn't anticipate getting any real airplay) on the B-side. For example, My December and High Voltage (Remix) are b-sides to One Step Closer.
    2. A song that is recorded during the sessions for an album that does not make the final cut of that album. For example, No Roads Left is a b-side to Minutes to Midnight.

A demo is an early, rough recording of a song that is later finalized. For example, Rhinestone is a demo of Forgotten. I personally don't consider things like Plaster and the alternate version of Points of Authority as "true" demos, since they're essentially just alternately mixed versions of the final album recordings. I also don't consider songs like Step Up or Dedicated to be demos since those songs weren't re-recorded at a later date. Some people do consider these type of things demos though, so it's kind of a grey area.

Hahninator

Hahninator Well-Known Member

Great explanation.

I consider Plaster and the POA versions true demos because they were rerecorded later on. They are earlier versions of the finished product. They're the unfinished song in it's "demo" form.

Step Up and Dedicated are not demos, I agree. You can call Dedicated a b-side I guess.

QWERTY is a demo, not a b-side like many think.

Does Walking Dead have a demo version? I don't think I've ever heard it.

Astat

QWERTY is a b-side. It was recorded at Laurel during the Minutes to Midnight sessions = b-side. Not even up for debate. Not to mention that Mike said that when they originally recorded it, it was being considered for the album just like every other song they were making.

Plaster was not re-recorded...it's the EXACT same recording as on Hybrid Theory, it's just mixed differently. The vocals, guitars, drums, bass, etc. are all the same recording. The alternate POA is the same case, except for Mike's rap part being an alternate recording.

And yes, there's a Walking Dead demo, it was up on LPFuse for ages.

LpHDFan

On my In The End Single, it reads "Step Up (Demo 1999)" however it is the same recording just with 3 seconds of silence cut out at the end so I don't consider it a demo. Nor do I Dedicated, labeled with (Demo 1999) as well. But I suppose since it's labeled like that it depends what you consider a demo.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

What they mean by that is that "Step Up" is a demo in itself, not that what you've got is a demo version of the song. Same with "Dedicated". I personally don't call them demo's simply because they were never refined - they are thus the final versions of the respective songs.
    ^I just found this quote. This is pretty much my point.

LpHDFan

We're on the exact same page, I stated that Step Up is the same recording, I think you think that I'm saying I have a demo, however I don't have a demo of Step Up. They seem to consider the recordings demos, so they labeled them as such. Our definition of demo is the same, if something is refined later on, the original is a demo. We both don't consider Dedicated a demo either.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

There's also a radio edit that's 3:57

LpHDFan

I was going to mention that in there but he asked about demos and since I don't consider it a demo I thought I wouldn't mention it. Especially since it's basically a shortened version of the one on Reanimation. I'm not infering that you are calling it a demo though. The demo of A Place for My Head from the 2-Track Demo CD is probably my favourite demo. :)

Last edited: May 26, 2008
    DayDreamer

DayDreamer Member

ok i now have a crap load of demos...
    and i heard about a 4th In The End demo.....but i thought there was only Untitled so i dunno how reliable my source is.........srsly tho, 4 demos of in the end???

Astat

There is only one demo of In the End...there are 4 demos of A Place for My Head, however (if you count the rehearsal performance on Frat Party). That's the only LP song there are 4 demos of.

DayDreamer

DayDreamer Member

i have five Esauls
    1-3 are almost all the same
    4&5 are both in mike's apartment, but 5 has the guitar part at the beginning and 4 doesnt

Astat

Your #5 is fake. Someone just edited it and added the guitar part at the beginning.

DayDreamer

DayDreamer Member

no its real!!! it's the exact same song but with a live guitar part!!! theres no way that's fake.....

Astat

There is only one recording of Esaul being performed in Mike's apartment, and that's on Frat Party. Frat Party does not have the guitar part at the beginning, therefore it is IMPOSSIBLE for a version with the guitar part at the beginning to be real. I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that someone took the intro guitar part from another recording and tacked it onto the beginning.

DayDreamer

DayDreamer Member