Who did Linkin Park inspire?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by lparks41, Jan 20, 2008.

lparks41

lparks41 Well-Known Member

I was wondering, have any famous bands or musicians in particular cited Linkin Park as a primary influence to their own music yet? I was searching for this and couldn't find anything. They've been known to the mainstream world for over seven years now, surely they must have influenced some significant band by now?

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Lupe Fiasco has somewhat cited them as an influence...there's an LP shoutout in "And He Gets the Girl" on his Return of the Nerd mixtape, and he's openly admitted to having an account on LPU at some point.

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

Nevada Tan (German).
    Not really known worldwide but is quite famous in Germany.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Evanescence.
    Just listen to Bring Me To Life, as well as the general tone and use of their guitars.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Bring Me to Life is the only Evanescence song that sounds even remotely like LP, and the demo version of the song had no male vocals/rapping whatsoever. Putting that vocal part in the song was entirely a decision of Wind-Up Records because they wanted Evanescence's first single to cash in on the nu-metal craze.

Plus, Evanescence formed in 1998, so LP really couldn't have been an influence on them anyway until several years after they had already been a band.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2008
    Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

They could still easily have influenced Fallen.
    Going Under could easily be LP, minus the vocals.

And anyway, whether it was the label that wanted them to or not, its an influence.
    LP influenced the label, the label influenced Ev.
    And it wasn't so much cashing in on the nu-metal craze as it was cashing in on the LP craze.
    Nu-metal was half dead by then anyway.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I don't think Evanescence sound much like LP at all to be honest. There are some similarities here and there on Fallen but apart from that I don't think so.

The_Rising_Tied

The_Rising_Tied Well-Known Member

Lol..Believe it or not..Jesse Mcartney..yea thats wut i said

Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mean by then Hybrid Theory would be 3 years old when Fallen was released. That little gap there is pretty significant. Anyways I have noted some similarities of the sounds between Linkin Park and Evanescence. There are some samplings and electronica sound in it that vaguely would remind me of Linkin Park (slightly different but if you add some of Linkin Park's vocals in it it might actually sound good).

And seriously if I ever get into the music industry I'd pick Linkin Park as my inspiration, not that I'd be famous or anything. :lol:

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Let me correct you on something here. While you are correct to say that the label forced them to have a rapper on Bring Me To Life because of Linkin Park, you are wrong to say that they were completely influenced by Linkin Park because Evanescence as a band actually formed together before Linkin Park ever did. It's just they only got big after Fallen came out due to the runaway success of their first single.

Basically as the story goes, Wind Up Records had contacted Mike asking him if he wanted to rap on Bring Me To Life as part of a collaboration with Evanescence. Due to the fact Mike knew the label was just trying to turn Evanescence into a 'female Linkin Park' he politely declined, and Wind Up went off to find somebody else to feature on the song.

Fast forward to a few months later...LP and Evanescence are recording in the same studio. For LP it was Meteora, and for Ev it was Fallen. Amy Lee comes up to Chester and complains that Wind Up is trying to force them to put 'rap' in Bring me To Life to sound like Linkin Park, and Amy Lee just wants the music to be her own thing and nothing like LP. Chester urges Amy to stand up for her musical creativity and gives her support, telling her to basically tell the label to shove it up their ass and that she isn't going to do it.

Well, we all know who won that battle (the label) and Bring Me To Life went on to become Evanescence's least favorite song because of it. To Amy, BMTL was her sacrificing her musical integrity and it wasn't until after 'The Open Door' that they started performing the song without 90% of the rap lyrics included.

All demos of Bring Me To Life feature a solo in the bridge rather than any 'rap' (I say this because Paul isn't really rapping persay), and there are no "WAKE ME UP"s in the chorus either. Having Paul from 12 Stones in there was a forced decision at the last second because Mike refused to rap on the track. The label wanted to capitalize off of the success of Linkin Park so they forced Ev to sound like them on just that song.

The original song without any rap:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91cyzb4TUCs

Xenogenesis

That's a pretty interesting fact. Maybe that's why I like Fallen more than The Open Door; cause it has rap and bares some similarities with Linkin Park. :lol:

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

The Open Door was Amy's baby. It was her not listening to the label and doing whatever she wants. That's why it sounds so different than Fallen. She actually had to fight for it's release with tears in her eyes because the label didn't think it was "marketable" since it bared little to no similarity to Fallen.

LPgator

LPgator Well-Known Member

RED has stated before that LP was one of their main influences

edit: found a quote from their website:

Rachel

Rachel look at my horse. LPA Super Member

I rather like Open Door more than Fallen. Fallen seemed too commercialized-OMFGZ NU METAL MEETS GOTH LAWL for me.

Open Door is just so much prettier and artistic, rather than HEY WHATS UP MTV.

Or maybe that's just because I'm a music major :lol:

Xenogenesis

Eh, The Open Doors has some of its good side but I tend to prefer Fallen. Though I'm not sure how its commercialized. Would Hybrid Theory or Meteora be commercialized?

Rachel

Rachel look at my horse. LPA Super Member

I'm not saying Hybrid Theory or Meteora are commercialized.

I'm saying commercialized how everyone automatically assumed that OMFG AMY LEE WEARS CORSETS SHES GOTH.

When in fact she's far from goth bands like Tristania or Within Temptation.

Like, MTV took it and ran with it, is what I meant. I didn't even mention LP at all.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I'd imagine Linkin Park influenced Falling Up and Pillar to some extent.

Xenogenesis

No no no no, that's not what I meant. I was more like asking what does commercialized mean but I didn't put the "wonder" part in there. :lol:

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

They probably haven't been around long enough to have influenced that many bands.

handthatfeeds_25

handthatfeeds_25 Well-Known Member

The vocalist for Lacuna Coil has sited Linkin Park as one of her favorite bands.