.:Graphics Contest:.

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by Nikki, Aug 6, 2003.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

I saw that same exact pic in EGM.

Don't rip other people's work off. [/b][/quote]
    I wasn't going ot say anything, but it's true.

EGM made an almost exact statement as that in one of their issues previewing the game. It was printed around the time MGS:2 was in the works, I do believe.

If I find the issue, I can scan and show it to anyone who doesn't believe me or Will :lol:.

Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

its a great game tho................it would be nice to see a Metal Gear Solid 2 art here

Rainbow

Rainbow Well-Known Member

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Uh... I thought that all the images for the competition were supposed to be JPEG???

Well anyways, I'm doing an entry right now and will edit this post and show it to all. Hope you all like.

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

I got all the pics from sites and stuff and just put something to make it funny. I'm not saying I got that pic all my myself. :p

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

You're supposed to be making these images yourself, not taking an image and throwing a quote onto it.

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

Sorry. Was just making a joke. (Can't make graphics to save my life)

Bryan

Bryan Guest

they are. the person said this wasn't for the contest, they just wanted to show it to everyone. read the whole post. ;)

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

they are. the person said this wasn't for the contest, they just wanted to show it to everyone. read the whole post. ;) [/b][/quote]
    Ah, okay.

Well, anyhoo, here's my entry:

[​IMG]

Hope everyone likes. :D

LinkinJunior

LinkinJunior LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

[​IMG]

Terry

Terry Yeah, but I wish you were my shadow. LPA Super Member

Wow, that's an awesome entry, LJ.

LinkinJunior

LinkinJunior LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Thank you Terry. :)

Nikki

Nikki I have no idea what is going on LPA Super Member

Well kids, it's the 1st of September and this contest is now officially closed. No more entries from anyone will be accepted.

All judges will recieve a PM including all entries, if I do not recieve your PM's back by tomorrow afternoon (I'll say around 6, 7 or 8pm depending on how much time I have, then your votes will be disregarded. Yeah I'm being slightly harsh here, but yeah... *shrugs*

Anyway, thanks again to everyone that has entered and proved me wrong in thinking this was a failure :)

*temporary-closeaga*

Nikki

Nikki I have no idea what is going on LPA Super Member

haha. Sorry I've taken so long to reply, but I've become really lazy, and really buzy at the same time, so yeah...my bad :p

Anyhow. The votes are in, the graphics are up and here come the judgings.

[​IMG]
    <div align=right>(Linkin Junior)</div>

Kat said: "Hm. I like the way this graphic has no "fixed shape" it's not scrunched up into a small rectangle or anything like that, so that caught my eye a little.
    The colours compliment each other very well, they are contrasting, yes; but in a very subtle way, I mean Blue isn't exactly at the oppostie end of the colour wheel is it?
    The way the text is orgasnised is a little dissapointing, mind you there was a lot to fit on so that could be a reason. However, the text could have been made smaller (especially in the second "block" where the game's quote is."

Elie said: "Probably one of the best entries in this entire contest. The amount of detail distributed evenly throughout the entire piece is great. You can easily tell this took a good 2+ hours, more than the average member would take on an online contest with no set prizes. Everything is evenly spaced, the shield is a nice touch, and everything just works great."

Votes: 9, 7, 7, 8 = 31/40

[​IMG]
    <div align=right>(Keaton)</div>

Elie said: "Nice, but simplicity may be the downfall to this one. Although this also may be one of the top entries in this contest, it is definetely not the winner in my opinion. It's the type of entry that you will look at once, look at again for a deeper investigation, than never look at it again. The amount of depth in the picture itself is quite nice, and Keaton portrayed that nicely through his use of the dark layers and effects/brushes, but again, simplicity could be the downfall."

Kat said: "I love the simplicity of this. Dark tones and simple layering techniques are some things I really love in graphics. The small text in the background that's not very important but is still there...the way that one of the characters ina faded layer is there to catch your eye and even the games logo just to break the norm, it's all excellent. I don't think I can find a fault with this one.. "

??? said: "I liked this one A LOT. The blues, just all of the intense color captured my interest."

X0r said: "Simple and still looks good. Its layout simply and it looks awesome"

Votes: 7, 9, 9, 8 = 33/40

[​IMG]
    <div align=right>(Derek)</div>

X0r said: "Nice and simple. The colours look good together and it looks great."

Kat said: "Again, simplicity here is a good thing. Although there is no quote (naughty) there are still the basics that need to be there. I love the "scrawlings" in the background and the "old photo" effect surrounding Lara - who is looking somewhat crisp in this image.
    The only fault I can spot with this is the fact the "made by Derek" tag is squashed right at the edge of the image. Not good mate. Not good. Besides that, the general "flow" of this picture is just amazing. I love it."

Elie said: "Great entry. The simplicity on this one could provoke it to being one of the top entries. See, on this one, it's more than just simple layering, you can see some of the effects used only on Lara Croft's face, then different effects used on the background. Very nicely done, very neat, everything flows together extremely well."

Votes: 6, 8, 9, 10 = 33/40

[​IMG]
    <div align=right>(Aaron)</div>

Elie said: "Great graphic. There's not much to say. The little touches like his name fading to the left at the bottom on that blue background, or the masses of characters on both sides, evenly placed. Also, the divider changing up into a curve is very nice, instead of one that goes "straight down". I think by doing that Aaron captured the essence of the "speed" of Sonic, which adds a nice touch to the entire entry. But overall, it just doesn't float my boat for some reason."

Kat said: "Very evenly spaced, clear and easy to see, but something bugs me about the text, and that's the fact that it is faded so much, that it's hard to read at some points. I do like the little curving divider and the small space created around the game icon. Very good work. An eight in the bag."

??? said: "Loved this one a lot, very vibrant. A+."

X0r said: "I think it just looks the best overall. Its all layout well and just looks awesome"

Votes: 9, 9, 8, 8 = 34/40

[​IMG]
    <div align=right>(LinkinParkRockerChik)</div>

Kat said: "Very poor quality JPeg...but sometimes that can't be helped. I can't make out the images and I can't read the text that is squazed at the top and the bottom of the image. A four because I'm kind :\"

Votes: 3, 4, 2, 3 = 12/40

[​IMG]
    <div align=right>(Aaron)</div>

Elie said: "This is a very creative entry, placing the picture into the TV box, but it could have been executed much better. The edges of the screen look very choppy, which makes me think "How much time did you truly put into this?" That's like digging in your own backyard, finding out you have gold there, and then covering it back up. Honestly, this is a great idea gone to waste. Please use something to smooth out the edges and a frickin' glow effect, it'll do the entry wonders."

Votes: 6, 6, 7, 6 = 25/50

[​IMG]
    <div align=right>(Broken Fist)</div>

Kat said: "Again, bad JPeg quality, so the argentinian looks like Hitler for some reason. All the image fuzzes into one big blob, it isn't pretty :\. Five."

Votes: 4, 5, 3, 4 = 16/40

[​IMG]
    <div align=right>(Minus Xero)</div>

Elie said: "Very decent entry. Um, not much I can say about except you obviously tried to go for a "black" and "blue" color scheme, than you have that redhead sticking his head into the picture. You may have wanted to layer him into a darker feel, so the image flows better. Other than that, decent image."

Kat said: "I like the dark colours and the simplicity. The images are organised very very well. Good job in such a small space."

Votes: 6, 7, 5, 7 = 25/40

[​IMG]
    <div align=right>(Linkin Junior)</div>

Elie said: "Nice image, but definetely not the best in this contest. LJ's showing that he is "Teh Shizzle", but his effects and bordering won't beat his first entry, or some other people's entries. This entry is simply too cluttered, and things just don't flow. Maybe a background of a raceway wouldv'e been nice, or something of that nature. When you start placing objects onto a white background, it simply doesn't feel right, and could make the simplest image feel cluttered."

Kat said: "Hm. A bit cluttered but at least you can see what is actually what. The images are very crisp but there is nothing to keep your eye on the images for longer than ten seconds (That includes the car interior by the way) I'm afraid. "

so then. in asceding order....

Linkin Junior - Legend of Zelda - 31/40
    Derek - Tomb Raider - Angel of Darkness - 33/40 (joint)
    Keaton - Tekken 4 - 33/40 (joint)
    Aaron - Sonic - 34/40

Which makes Aaron the winner of this first LPA graphics contest! ^_^

Thank you to everyone that entered, I really did think that this would be a flop. Thanks to everyone that proved me wrong, the fact you took time out to put work into something that you might not be rewarded for is a very big thing and is not being taken lightly in my mind. Thanks all, and congratulations Aaron - You certainly deserve it :)

Maybe I'll organise another contest. But not yet...not just yet :p

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Wow, I did better than I thought... :lol:

Good job, everyone :D

...and...

Congrats Aaron, a job well done!

Terry

Terry Yeah, but I wish you were my shadow. LPA Super Member

Congratulation, Aaron. You really deserved it! ^_^

LinkinTheory

LinkinTheory Well-Known Member

Hmm, I guess I didn't deserve to be voted on.

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Congrats everyone, you all did nice work!

Jamie

Jamie Super Member LPA Super Member

Congrats Aaron..your reign will end soon and I will NOT be victorious

20. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Runner up...again.

Dr. Evil: "....well...sh*t. Lets just do what we always do then."

I'm shocked I even received that many votes though and I'm thankful, its better to get the silver medal twice then no medal at all if you get my drift.

Hopefully I'll manage to nab first place in one of these things soon. Only fair Keaton stood with me on the 2nd place step, he's my inspiration..:wub:

:lol: *hides*

*Edit* The grading system was a brilliant idea. Helps us find our faults and stuff. *Writes down your advice* thank you people!