Atlantis?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by El Muerto, Aug 13, 2007.

Fear

Fear Well-Known Member

I don't see how a civilization underwater could ever happen. It's a cool story, nonetheless, but cmon.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

What? Atlantis sunk, it wasn't always underwater.

Anyways, I think one theory no one ever thought of was that Atlantis was an alien spacecraft that just decided to leave one day. :lol:

Fear

Fear Well-Known Member

Touche. :D

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

That actually very possible :D

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I am one of the many people out there who believes an Atlantis did exist, so yes..I am a believer.

I hope we find the ruins someday before they disappear forever.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I think it's certainly possible that Atlantis existed at some point, after all we know more about Space than we do about our own planet.

Rachel

Rachel look at my horse. LPA Super Member

In this book I read, this Armenian mother told her son that Noah's Ark is the reason Armenians and Jews are "cousins". Cause it landed on Ararat.

Didn't they find pieces of the boat up there o_O

devilsnight2003

devilsnight2003 Dogs Don't kill People, Wabbits Do

I think Atlantis is fairly interesting, to me its the same as the Egypitians, the Aztecs. Amazing civilisations that just seem to disappear. I think it is pretty hard to say it is true but i also feel that it cannot be disproven that Atlantis doesnt really exist. I think it would be to fair fetched to think that the stories of an underwater civilasation could survive but we know less about are oceans then we know about space and thats saying summit since most of the planet is covered by water

I do believe that a civilisation can only advance to a certain level before it finds constraints like are current problem being that we cannot get every memeber of the population of the plant to get along. It is in are nature to be self distructive, it is what makes us human.

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

This may sound stupid, I dunno, but did it sunk, or was it flooded? Cause sinking and flooding is a whole other thing.

El Muerto

The original texts says: "There occurred violent earthquakes and floods. And in a single day and night of misfortune... the island of Atlantis disappeared in the depths of the sea."

So yeah, it's not precised, and although there are some theories that Atlantis was just flooded by giant waves the general opinion is that the island acutally sunk.

Messy Marj

Oh...so it first flooded and then sunk lol. Thanks.

El Muerto

That's what I call bad luck :lol:

Messy Marj

Yeah. :lol:

Tom

Tom LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

I believe Atlantis does exist. But my version may differ from..well..everyone.

I believe Atlantis was a great city with technology far superior to what we have ever and will see and that Atlantis is out there but is eluding us via the use of it's technology. The city might have hidden itself from mankind to prevent a larger disaster, because if they had firepower, mankind would surely abuse it and dark times would follow, so to prevent this they have been hiding away since the dawn of time.

When the Earth is in critical danger of some sort and faces possible extinction that Atlantis will rise and with it the solution to the problem.

Yeah, call me crazy or what not, but wouldn't it be cool if it were true?

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I think I'm one of the few who thinks the idea of Atlantis is really intriguing, but I don't think it ever actually existed. I mean, for an entire island to "sink" is one thing, but to not be able to find an island of the size Plato described is just ridiculous, especially since we've mapped pretty much the entire sea floor. Then again, that doesn't mean it's not below even that, but if it is, we certainly won't find it for a very, very long time.

As far as I'm concerned, Atlantis was just a story made up by Plato.

Dart

Dart Well-Known Member

so...atlantis is a very complex theme...as a student of archeology and looking from a professional point of view there are simply not too much real evidence which can point that atlantis existed...

but...

evidence is not everything :) i am a passionate believer in the theory of existence of atlantis.the works of plato must not be taken as 100 percent realistic because no work written arond 2000 years ago can be taken litterally...for god's sake,people then believed in the minotaur...

anyways...more evidence has been surfacing through history and if you read a couple of good books(not the fanboyish "OMFG the atlantidians were aliens from jupiter and then jupiter collided with the sun and some of them ended up on earth teaming up with lizard people to form the new world order" crap) but books with logical explanations you will see that atlantis was not just maybe real,but also very possible...

like everything it must be viewed from an objective and an open minded perspective

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

:lol: Student of archeology and all that aside, you do know modern philosophy and all of our modern ideas on life are based on those of Socrates and Plato right? But I do agree that you shouldn't just take what he wrote literatelly.

About Atlantis?

Maybe there was a place like that, but I think it just refers to a certain existing place that we already know off and we just see it differently than how Plato did.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I think he meant in a scientific sense. Philosophy can transcend centuries and cultures, but science changes every day.

As far as Atlantis goes, it wouldn't surprise me being that we know so little
    about the oceans that surround us.

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

:lol: Why would you want to base science on Plato? He's not a scientist...

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Exactly. That's why we should take his musings on underwater cities with a grain of salt. Like Dart said, they believed in fricken' minotaurs ! :lol: