Holly Brook For Hire?

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by lpkornfan22, Jul 16, 2007.

lpkornfan22

lpkornfan22 Well-Known Member

From her my space bulletin

I've been looking for a job because this music thing just isn't paying the bills. Help me brianstorm!

First of all, I should let you know that I am available to sing demo vocals. This means, singing songs for songwriters and producers that are looking for cuts. If it is too far to travel, I can record it at home. I can also do background vocals on material that will be released, but I would need to first approve the song. Send me a message for my rates.

Other than that, my ideal jobs would be:

1. Part time personal assistant
    2. Baby sitter/driver, but not to kids that are under 8 years old.
    3. Something working with students
    4. Something I could do from home on the computer
    5. Something in the music business
    6. Something in the aviation industry
    7. Something really different, like working on a honey bee farm

These are the problems I face when looking for a job:

1. It needs to be flexible, because I never know when I am going to get a tour.
    2. I need to make $10/hour bare minimum otherwise it doesn't cover my expenses.
    3. I am not a salesman. I tried to sell shoes once, and sucked.
    4. I am not a good waitress. I tried that too, and couldn't deal with mean customers.
    5. So basically, customer service jobs and sales jobs are out of the picture.
    6. I don't want to travel too far, and I live in Ventura County

Thanks for your help!

Holly

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

That makes me sad. Her CD was amazing and it's just not getting the attention it deserves.

I'd offer her a job at my job, but I'm in Texas.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

She's not going to get anywhere this way. Do you know how many unsigned artists there are out there that would love to be in her position, even if it's not paying all the bills? The next song she writes could be the song that could turn her into a worldwide phenomenon, but she'd rather just look for another job instead of continuing the pursuit of fame and fortune.

I guess good luck to her. She's replaceable, but then again, I never really liked her anyway. I know the masses here will come out and speak in support of her, just because she's associated with Machine Shop/Linkin Park/Fort Minor, but it doesn't make her any more or less of an artist because of who she was associated with. Computer is associated with Three Six Mafia, doesn't make him a good rapper (he's actually quite horrible).

Hahninator

Hahninator Well-Known Member

Not trying to sound bitchy here but you don't know all the facts. She CAN'T write any music right now. Anything new would belong to MSR. She tried to leave MSR 9 months ago, they accepted, but still won't let her go. It's Warner that's fucking her life up. As soon as she gets off this shitty label she can go and pwn with some new music somewhere else.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Ah that's just sad. I hope she gets a job and continues to make music alongside. She shouldn't give up on the latter just like that!

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Ah. You didn't sound bitchy, I just didn't know that. Like I said, I don't really like her. The facts out in the open though, that sucks for her. It reminds me of Trent Reznor's situation with TVT Records which lead him to record the Broken EP and jumpstart Nine Inch Nails. Perhaps the same will happen for her.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

That is a shame. I hope she works this problem out and continues writing music. I really liked her album.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Fucking Warner.
    Good luck to her though, beautiful voice.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

She's not giving up on music.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I find it a bit pathetic.

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Yeah, I agree.

She sounds so...childish, that's the first word that came into my mind when I read that.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Pathetic how exactly? She's asking for help so she can keep doing what she loves. If it's her name dropping Linkin Park and explaining she didn't get paid much for her contributions to Where'd You Go, well, that's the business. The life of a career artist is seldom ever luxurious unless you're lucky. Unfortunately, I think Holly's short-lived moment in the spotlight while performing with Fort Minor may not have been her calling card. That doesn't mean she should live in her own little world of optimism and believe time will pay her bills.

I think her demands/requirements for jobs are a little too strict and I think she may have trouble finding something that fits though. That much I agree with. However, I do understand where she's coming from. Running a studio no matter the size is hard enough, and also trying to fit in moments of inspiration in your free time versus spontaneous inspirational moments is definitely frustrating to an artist, thus they like to do unorthodox things work-wise. From what I can tell, it looks like she's doing it backwards. Usually artists work while doing music on the side, but it seems her premature moment of stardom perhaps catapulted her into a scenario she wasn't prepared for.

Also, I don't think Holly can say she should have expected a bonus from the Where'd You Go endeavor. Unless it were in the contract that stated she'd get bonuses or royalties for X amount of units sold (I think referred to as "milestones"), then she can't complain. Also, I HIGHLY doubt Warner would offer any ancillary rights to Holly for appearing on a Fort Minor track. However, if these were mentioned and agreed to in the contract signing from both parties, Holly should expect some extra money. My instincts tell me she probably just signed a talent release though. It is a common mistake a lot of eager aspiring musicians make.

But I don't know her personally enough to pass judgment.

Nevertheless, I don't think asking for help constitutes one to be considered "pathetic"... that's just being mean. We all need help now and then, there's no shame in asking for it. I'd agree if you consider her having to step back being pathetic as she obviously is talent waiting to shine, but in any other context, I don't agree.

savetomorrow

savetomorrow Well-Known Member

I wonder why she just didn't ask Mike for a small spot like on the Revolution Stage at Projekt Revolution and just share a bus with one of the smaller bands.

Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

I think she should open for lp, that would be cool.

Ant

Ant Ambient

I'm not a fan of hers, but how does she sound pathetic? She's not begging for anything, she's just asking for some suggestions and ideas... and what better place than the internet? Then she clarified the situation. Not sure what's pathetic.

Not a fan, but still wish her luck.