Minutes To Midnight - The "Emo" Genre Dispute

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Xenogenesis, Jun 13, 2007.

Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys Well-Known Member

He was saying that you're right, that it's stupid.

I think most of LPs lyrics is about being pissed at someone OR breaking off something and starting over. I could only mention two or three song lyrics from LP that I consider teenie.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I always thought power metal included dragonforce, and IMO i think they're pretty good.

Gage

Gage Well-Known Member

No, my post is not aimed at Metomorphosis, just wanted to clear some things up regarding people's accusations of this. First being, change. I presume LP said before Minutes to Midnight was released that they were "changing" up their "sound" resulting in the softer style of music. Second, as other people said in this thread there's no real lyrics symbolizing depression... in past songs on other albums the band was surely into making music about other things (as emo bands do) but with ONE big difference, that "thing" is not posing as a problem when LP goes about it.

Thirdly, the style. I've seen the "What I've Done" video a few times as well as heard the song. I can see where people who aren't too familiar with Linkin Park (or are they) that would portray the song as being emo due to the choice of clothes and some lyrics. This, of course, is NOT TRUE. They're addressing world issues that need to be addressed and I commend them for that. I'm going to go back what I said earlier: the band said they were changing their sound a bit and here we have it -- about a month into the release of the album.

Some people are going to like it, some are going to hate it. When it comes down to it all we have to do is accept the change. All in all: I don't think it's Chester's, Mike's Rob's, Joe's, Brad's, and David's decision to maintain a emo band. Besides, they've been around since 1996 and I have a strong feeling they're not considering going emo now when thousands of fans appreciate their sound on the stage and on record!

Cuidado314

Cuidado314 Well-Known Member

I agree... even though they said they were changing their style, there is no Linkin Park style set in stone. They said on Frat Party that they didn't want to be classified into one category, and their "change" is not really of style... it's of sound. It's a sound that still encompasses the rap/rock with Bleed It Out and the screams of Chester in Given Up and No More Sorrow... but, on a more mellow tone with the rest of this new album. Linkin Park is still Linkin Park. And they've got the record sales to prove it.

And as far as them being "emo," all music is "emo"tional, one way or another. It wouldn't be good music if it wasn't. Some bands tend to go a little overboard, which LP doesn't. Don't forget, Linkin Park isn't set into one particular genre of music... they encompass all kinds of genres into their ever-changing sound.

I have a feeling that the next record will be even more different than Minutes to Midnight. And I'm really happy that we won't have to wait as long this time... only about two years... lol. I'm looking forward to see how much they evolve into that one.

EDIT: I didn't realize, I just pretty much elaborated on Makino's post. (Usually I just scan through a thread, just to get a basis on where everyone stands... then I go in. I skimmed right over his post.) MY APOLOGIES MAKINO!!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
    Gage

Gage Well-Known Member

It's good to have a change and for the band to switch it up a little bit. Odds are people would get bored hearing the same old tone...

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

OMG, yeah, that's what i do! :D 'cause there are no solid borders as to what means what and most bands are experimenting (such that it's become a joke to say you blend different styles of music, haha) with genres.

eddie_ka

eddie_ka Member

*gives you a standing ovation*

I feel so old thinking about it, but I remember being in high school and people lableing me as a "n00b" for listening to bands like linkin park and dressing the way I did... and when I think about it, I haven't changed much in my personal style of clothing/music and now I'm labled "emo"... so I guess it doesn't really matter, we're all just considered mainstream posers.

*shrug*