Windows Vista

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by mcpancakes, Apr 2, 2007.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

*rolls around laughing* And that's what you get when you have Microsoft trying to copy Apple. Complete and utter failure.

chaosblade

chaosblade Well-Known Member

Unless you're copying to Program Files, Which is now a protected system folder, I wonder why did you get a prompt.

Reaction to UAC depends on where you're coming from. If you're an XP user.. Welcome to the world of security. No more default-godly-admin accounts and barely any permission-based security.

Since going Vista, I simply made another "Software" folder and i install all my things there. No UAC prompts, No issues with said software.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

UAC is pointless, and here's why:

You have 2 types of people. Those who know what they're doing, and those who don't and just make random mouse clicks until the computer does what it wants.

Those of us who know what we're doing know that deleting the C:\Windows directory is a bad idea and we're not going to do it, or even attempt it. So for us, what purpose does UAC serve? To annoy us? Because the only time we'll see UAC prompts is to change the fucking wallpaper. Of course, we know it can be disabled and probably will disable it.

Those who don't know what they're doing may try deleting C:\Windows (either on purpose or by accident) and get prompted by UAC. But they've been clicking "yes" to all of the other UAC boxes they've gotten while messing around with settings and installing their software and are desensitized to it and are just going to click "yes" to the C:\Windows warning and bye bye Windows. The same thing can apply to viruses and spyware that are trying to install themselves. They're probably going to click "yes" just like they have with the million other UAC prompts they've gotten because they're dumb.

chaosblade

UAC's purpose is not a technical barrier. It's social engineering. Maybe the next time someone sees a UAC prompt after he knows the last time things got screwed up when he OK'd it.. He'll learn.

Thats what most of the security features in any OS depend on - Social Engineering.

ManClub

ManClub Active Member

Does anyone know how to turn off all the annoying Firewall's Vista has?

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

start > run > 'msconfig' > last tab

chaosblade

You don't need to enter things in Run anymore, really. Just writing them in the Start search box works :)

Write 'firewall' and choose the 'Windows Firewall With Advanced..' item.
    Then shutdown all the three profiles, done.

ManClub

ManClub Active Member

Thanks a lot guys.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Search still needs to look through the index to find what you're looking for, taking time depending on how well indexed your computer is, and the performance of your computer. I prefer run because a. I'm used to winkey+r, b. faster result (no need to look through the index, c. there is no d