Politics in Music?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by fallsogracefully, May 17, 2007.

fallsogracefully

fallsogracefully Member

I didn't really know where to post this in the LP, MtM, or Serious forum, so I decided to just do it here (seemed safest :p)

What's your opinion of politics in the music you listen to?

To me, it's all about the topic.

I like my music to be timeless. Anti-war anthems and songs about oppression and all that jazz, I'm fine with.
    It's when we get into the territory of songs like Hands Held High that I start to get a little annoyed.
    I am a big believer in the fact that things like this war are not one man's fault and am sick of people taking everything out on Bush.
    Now, I'm not here to get into a political discussion because, well, I don't know exactly how I feel about all those issures.
    My big pet peeve is that, nowadays, the thing that is "in" in Hollywood is to be anti-Bush and anti-war, and the only thing I dislike worse than people who feel certain ways without having real reasons to feel them are people who feel the need to tell everyone else what they think

Now, the United States, where a lot of this is happening (I haven't been around the forums for very long, but I'm assuming there are many people who live outside of the U.S.), prides itself on the fact that people can express their opinions in whatever way they feel, and I absolutely agree with this (“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”) But, when I buy a record that has a song on it that says negative thing about the leader of my country, actions being taken by my country, or other aspects of my country, I feel like I'm supporting these words.
    It's just like when you were little and there was that kid in the corner (or maybe you were that kid :rolleyes:) making faces at the rest of the class. "Don't laugh, you'll just encourage him."

Want to take a stand against diseases? Go for it!
    Want to fight world hunger? Go you!
    Want to help victims of natural disasters? Yes, yes, dear God, yes!

Would you like to complain about the state of the nation? Please, do so in a way that won't take up valuable disk space, not to mention take me out of the grasp of the record I spent my money on because I feel compelled to skip a track.

Now, quickly (this is long enough already), on the subject of Hands Held High, I think it is a great song and is pretty kind when compared to other songs of its nature. It is well written, I really love the "Amen" part, but it still all made me cringe the first time I heard it because I had always said "Please, pleeeeeeaaaaase don't let my favorite band go political."

Now,
    Discuss.
    (that is, if you can get through this muttled stream-of-consciousness I'm calling a topic.)

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Get any type of politics out of music. I don't want it in there. Talking politics and shit with your bandmates and such is fine by me, but I don't want you singing about it. Makes me sick.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I don't mind as long as I agree with the political views :lol:

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

If you don't like it, don't listen to it. It really is as simple as that.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I used to be against it entirely.

Now I think that if you can take your political views and turn it into a good song, go ahead.

I don't really care unless it's molded into good music in general. If it sucks, screw you. :lol:

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Whatever motivates a band to write good music is fine with me.

Dr. Faust

Dr. Faust "Your Epitaph Will Be A Barcode"

I would say be open minded to a bands (or everyday person's views)and not be ignorant.

SiriusLPer

SiriusLPer Active Member

I don't mind having political views mixed in with the artist's music. More power to them. Especially in democratic countries like the U.S. and Canada.

If the band have views that I don't agree with, then I won't listen to them. If the band has views that I DO agree with, but the music sucks, then I won't listen to them.

We live in a time where we should be able to voice our opinions, whether it be through music or not, its a beautiful thing.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Music is the ultimate form of expression IMO so political views are fine with me.

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

If this makes any sense; I like sly political reference in my music. I like all the politics in NIN's new album, as while it is quite obvious, it's not shoving it right in my face. However, if I find a song to be glaringly obviously about some certain subject matter, it just irritates me. Get what I mean? Or am I talking rubbish..Well whatever.

I don't mind politics to a degree, but when it becomes heavy, it just pisses me off. I listen to music to make me happy, not to hear about everything that's wrong with the world. Poitics should mostly stay out of my music IMO.

Fear

Fear Well-Known Member

I like politics in music. Nobody's saying that you have to agree with them.

LpFanatic911

LpFanatic911 Well-Known Member

Having politics in music is good. It allows others who don't agree with the view being presented to see the issue in a different way and prehaps make them change their mind.

Dr. Faust

Dr. Faust "Your Epitaph Will Be A Barcode"

An other reason I think I'm for it is because all my friends live in right wing conservative families, and I am all for liberal, left wing ideal-isms, as are most of the political musicians I listen to. Which sort of gives me hope.