Rick Rubin Says Linkin Park Are "Really Re-inventing Themselves"

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    culdadoo

culdadoo Member

rick said that the album is very "melodic", i wonder if there will be many heavy songs on the album, maybe some "heavy melodic songs" wanna hear the new single now.

senior

senior Active Member

sometimes diffrent things not always good Todd :)
    but i like LP alot !!! and i wish that difference will be AMAZING
    i really do, and i'm feeling that it surly will be , SO sure
    though i'm missin the Nu-metal/rap style, but LP are Geniuses and they will make such an unvelievable new great album ... coz they've been working on it sooooo long i guess ... and we're all sick of waiting 4 years !!!!!!!! lol

culdadoo

culdadoo Member

will be able to download the new single from anywhere when it comes out? from LPA ?

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

No, you are not going to able to download it anywhere. Chester himself said that.

culdadoo

culdadoo Member

okey, just wanted to know, then i guess we all will be listening on the radio a lot then^_^

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Well, if he did sing on the album those would be songs he practiced for as well, obviously. I'm not saying he's a great singer, but that point was kind of moot.

As far as we can tell, the one time he practiced and put effort into singing it sounded good.

However, I'm sure he'll just be rapping like usual.

Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

didn't mike say in one of the interviews that there is rapping on a song they were working on at the moment? I'm preety sure he did so i don't understand why some people think he will stop rapping, also he did say we would still be able to tell its linkin park so theres gotta be rapping in there

Pinkin Lark

Pinkin Lark Prince of Persia.

If anyone could fit rapping into a 'progressive, melodic' record it sure would be Rick Rubin. QWERTY was a very small improvement so anything along those lines is a complete letdown.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

True, but it was an easy part, and one part. It probably wouldn't be very hard to nail it. That's why I'm saying I don't know if he could do a whole entire album. He might be able to, but I think it's unrealistic.

I agree that he'll probably rapping as usual, but I would be disappointed if it was cut far down to make room for Chester's singing.

"/Shawn08\"

"/Shawn08\" Well-Known Member

I think the tracks on the album are going to be very different from qwerty. I mean qwerty is a very good song by HT and Meteora standards but it definatley isn't progressing their sound any if at all. They're saying its gonna be melodic and progressive and qwerty isn't either of those, so I'm sure there has to be some kind of change or what Rubin says is a complete lie.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

Unless the guys made QWERTY and were running around screaming: "WE'VE REINVENTED OURSELVES!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

He makes it seem like he's never heard their music before. "I've heard the guys say they're reinventing themselves...they seem pretty happy."

"/Shawn08\"

"/Shawn08\" Well-Known Member

I'm not saying qwerty was supposed to be a change showing what the music on the new album is supposed to sound like. I'm saying that because it didn't give any insight to the new sound and that rubin is saying that they have re-invented themselves means that there has to be some kind of change.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Well, Linkin Park seem to THINK they have changed more then they really did in the past.

If this happens again, QWERTY could have been a glimpse into the future lol.

Hahninator

Hahninator Well-Known Member

na man.

LP made QWERTY a song...then played it live...then went back to record it for the LPU CD and that's where the problem came in. LP totally fucked the remake to hell. Rick helped too.

Rick took the pre-chorus out which I REALLY think added to the song A LOT. I loved that part...and he also added 4 more hits to the intro which was totally pointless except now it adds more emphasis to the intro beats and makes you forget Chester just owning a scream.

Brad and Rob were great. Brad's redone chorus is SO GOOD. It's the best guitar work I think I've ever seen him do honestly. You can hear it on the LPU 6 trailer if you have no idea what I'm talking about. And Rob...Rob's drumming sounded great. I liked it a lot.

Chester and Mike really are the problem in eyes. Well, not the entire problem, but a part of it. They made the song live sound like the best song ever, but I have NO idea why they had NO enthusiasm on the studio track. Chester sounds so hoarse and Mike sounds like he has no enthusiasm at all. On the live version, Mike was spitting that shit and Chester was giving it all he had. It was AWESOME. You can hear a significant difference in how the vocals were done (aggressiveness-wise). I downloaded the Smurf remix of QWERTY and listened to it after I listened to QWERTY studio and wow...it seems like Mike and Chester really didn't give it everything on QWERTY studio.

And then lastly, the track is good and all...but it seems to me the only 'professional' part of the song is the chorus instrumental. It seems like everything else was just 1 take in the studio, which I don't like. I like it when LP layers the songs like they always have and not record shit in 1 or 2 takes. That's also part of Rick's problem....he encourages that and the band has even admitted it. They need to layer it, record everything and run through their entire songmaking process.

and wtf I just ranted all about QWERTY and got off topic >_>

I'll be honest and say I never liked Rick producing the album. I found out about it and honestly was pissed. I heard Mike was doing it and I was really happy. I wanted just Mike. But oh well.

I can't make a judgement about Rick until I hear the single, but so far I'm 50/50. QWERTY studio he really messed up, but ASP is amazing. So we'll see.

/run_endrant.exe

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

I agree.

I've thought for a long time that the QWERTY studio track sounded even worse than their Hybrid Theory EP, and that was only done in Mike's room wasn't it? I mean.. they were probably in a nice studio for the song, and it seems like it's just terrible quality.

Jacen

Jacen Well-Known Member

Well said Hahninator,

When I heard that Rick Ruben was producing the album the first thought that came into my mind was that "He is so gonna make them change their style". And that's the only reason I got into LP (Their Style), I love that "Rock meets Hip-Hop" kind of mix with a little bit of metal on the side even I use that style for my samples but when Rick said LP was "Really re-inventing themselves" I was like "Wow so they're really are changing themselves" and I bet they can do a hell of a better job of re-inventing themselves if Rick wasn't there.

For instance: When LP wrote QWERTY and played it live Rick Ruben wasn't there and didn't do anything to it and on the LPU 6 cd the studio version was way changed from the original live version probably because of Rick, and I think that change wasn't a good one.

The whole idea of somebody comming in and producing your music and changing it to suit "the audience" is a good idea but bands should be able to put what they want and not what somebody thinks sounds better....If they think thier version sounds better why not make a seperate track and listen to both the original (done by the band) and theirs and see which one sounds better. I'm betting the band would like their version better because thats what they want to hear....(And I'm not just talking about LP I'm talking about any band out there)

LOL I just lost myself :lol: :ermm:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
    -x-ecks-x-

-x-ecks-x- Well-Known Member

You guys really gotta stop whining.

Qwerty sounds like ass because its a DEMO. They didn't mix the hell out of it and thats why it sounds kinda crappy. I swear I've never seen music fans so biased to everything their "favourite" band is doing. Either you'll like the new album, or you won't. See what scares me is how some you you seem to be putting so much pressure on your own expectations, what happens if you think the album sucks balls?

I think most of you all need to take a step back and listen to another band. Not saying you should drop LP completely, but until their new album drops... go listen to something else.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Well, you know Hahninator, The Qwerty DEMO wasnt layered, and excessively mixed and produced, cos its just that: A demo.
    I think they never put much effort into it cos it probably disapointed them, considering they want to reinvent themselves.
    but yes, Rick screwed up the studio version, by cutting out that pre-chorus kinda thing.
    :cloud:

linkinparkgirl_6

linkinparkgirl_6 Active Member

I think that Mike can sing really good.
    I like the part on Live in Texas when he sing solo part of pushing me away...
    I think he can sing quiet parts great, cause he has some kind of deep voice..
    Ofcourse, Chester is much better as singer, but that doesn't mean Mike can't sing....

culdadoo

culdadoo Member

i think this album will be more vocaly driven, like chester said. so i think mike will be rapping as much as usual and maybe more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.