Is Brad a good guitar player??

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by P.D., Dec 26, 2006.

?

Is Brad a good guitar player?

1. Yes! He rocks!!!!!!

75 vote(s)
    49.3%
  2. No! He sucks!!!!!!

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. He's O.K.

65 vote(s)
    42.8%
  4. Don't know

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
    P.D.

P.D. Well-Known Member

What do you think?? He's better now than he was when Hybrid Theory came out ;)

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

I think hes a good guitarist, you'll never hear him make a mistake in concert. Its true that Lp songs arent very complex, but i bet even Hendrix or Knopfler would play one bad note sometimes if they were asked to play an LP song. Brads good, he just doesnt challenge himself.
    :cloud:

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I'd be willing to argue that.

If anything, I think Brad has degenerated his guitar playing a bit. At least HT had variety.

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

One Step Closer, Rock Am Ring 04'

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I was just about to say that.

I have no doubt in my mind that Brad is a good guitar player. The guy is in a well-known, talented band. If he didn't know more than power chords, what would happen if the band wanted to go into more difficult guitar playing?

As he has said before, the Power chords are for the music. I don't remember the exact quote, but he does that for a reason.

Don't Stay and QWERTY are great examples of guitar playing he doesn't do often. It's obviously a bit more complex than power chords. Even though it's not that different, it's still something and it still sounds cool.

For all we know, Brad could be playing much tougher stuff on the record. Evidently, through interviews and pictures, he's using Fender Stratocasters and such. He wouldn't put guitars like that to waste with Power Chords, I would think.

I don't doubt Brad's ability one bit. I actually respect him more than most guitarists who try to play rather complex riffs. For him to play easy riffs like such, and yet not feel restricted or frustrated with them, that just makes him a better guy and a much better musician. I'm sure that if really wanted to, he would put tougher riffs. He was sticking to Power Chords for previous records because it sounded good. It went well, and I think, again, according to the quote I do not recall, it made the song more powerful and harmonic.

He's a good guitarist and an excellent musician. No doubt in my mind.

Pinkin.Lark

Pinkin.Lark Well-Known Member

Where does he make a mistake on that live track?

Harlz

Doesnt he just accidently play the chorus notes rather than the intro, accidently?

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Harlz

Ah thanks for that, i thought thats what happened. But even still, yes he played the wrong part, but it was due to a lack of concentration, there still werent any bung notes or anything.

Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

it doesn't matter how many mistakes you make live. you're gonna make mistakes no matter what. you just need to improvise off of it or find your way back as soon as possible.

there are other better guitarists, actually, there many better guitarists then brad, but he's good for the band he's in.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Brad made a mistake once and hit an PMA note while doing In The End,

Rather then make a scene, he improvised and started playing Pushing Me Away which sounded awesome over In The End.

That's a sign of a good guitarist. One who recovers from fumbles well.

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

That would have been interesting to hear.

Derek

One of the LPAers has it. I'll ask them to upload it to yousendit later.

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

If he focus harder, he can be a truly great player!

m1tch103

m1tch103 Well-Known Member

didnt know that

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
    m1tch103

m1tch103 Well-Known Member

nah man im pretty sure he did that on purpose, if he did mess up he would get back into in the end not completely change songs lol

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Ask and ye shall recieve. I cut out that part of the song, the part in question starts 15 seconds in. I almost think it was done intentionally, he doesn't sound like he "misses" any notes and he stays on tempo the whole time. Plus, this is from the last show of Projekt Revolution 2004, where they did other random stuff (A.06 and Sweet Child O' Mine), so it might have been one of those last day of the tour random things.

http://download.yousendit.com/558741A34B554FF8

As for how often Brad messes up, well...he messed up High Voltage quite a few times in 2001 (the recording on LPU 2.0 is the best he ever played it), he pretty much always screwed up Sweet Child O Mine, on one of the Tokyo '03 shows he came in late on the intro to Figure.09 and the whole band had to stop and restart, the previously mentioned intro to One Step Closer at RAR04...the list goes on.

Not the most embarrassing messups though, I've heard Mike completely forget the lyrics to By Myself a couple times, and one time in 2001 he did the first verse of Step Up where the 2nd verse should have been. Chester screwed up Pushing Me Away at one of the Summer Sonic 2006 shows, he sang "why I played myself this way" twice instead of "why I never walked away," screwed up the first chorus to Don't Stay at one of those same shows, and at one show in 2003 he forgot the lyrics to the second verse of Runaway, which resulted in a mix of the Hybrid Theory lyrics, Reanimation lyrics, and some gibberish. Joe's turntables completely froze up during By Myself once and the band played the whole song without him, and he messed up the intro to Crawling at Rock Am Ring 2004. Phoenix and Rob actually make the fewest mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2006
    Derek

Lol, damn. Just goes to show that no matter how talented you are, you still fuck up like crazy sometimes.

Love that clip, I too think it may have been intentional.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Although the quality's slightly bad so it's hard to hear, that's a pretty good cleanup. Playing the same chord (or similar -- can't tell, bad quality) three times does kinda sound fucked.

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Chester forgot the lyrics to Breaking The Habit during the intro at Projekt Rev. (Alpine Valley show)