Good books

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by 越南, Mar 30, 2006.

越南

越南 Well-Known Member

What books are yall reading currently? Im looking for a few good authors..
    Suspense ones maybe? i really like plot twists

right now im reading Digital fortress by dan brown. im really following up on the Dan Brown books.. i want to get up to the Da vinci code before it comes out in theatres

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

A few weeks back I finished reading "Deception Point" by Dan Brown. That was good, I really enjoyed that. The next book on my list is "Gone" by Lisa Gardner. I'm mostly into suspense/action/thriller but I'm open to anything as long as it's interesting.

whoneedssubtext?

whoneedssubtext? gggg-uNOT

Deception point was a really good book.
    I also liked The da vinci code.
    I really like "the Broker" by John Grisham

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I want to read 'The Da Vinci Code' so bad.

I recently read 'Farenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury. Amazing book.

越南

越南 Well-Known Member

I heard Angels and Demons (prequel to Da vinci Code) was his best book written so far.. Just wanted to see if anyone read it yet and their opinions on it.

whoneedssubtext?

whoneedssubtext? gggg-uNOT

I started it, but it's a really big book. But the Font in it's huge too, so it even outs. I've only read 10 pages or so, but it kinda starts out the same way as the da vinci code, someone dies. Then the main character is called.

Versamilatude

Versamilatude Well-Known Member

Were reading that book in our 8th grade reading class. Good book.

dragon ninja

dragon ninja Well-Known Member

Dan Brown is the man of the moment, haha. Out of curiosity from the constant buzz around the Da Vinci Code, I picked it up and couldn't put it down. That led me to Angels and Demons, which I consider even better (although it's a prequel) and now I'm on Digital Fortress, which is equally fascinating. I guess you could say I'm on a Dan Brown high, as I'm eagerly awaiting The Solomon Key, the sequel to The Da Vanci Code.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I recently finished reading Flowers For Algernon, great book.

It's about a mentally handicapped man named Charlie Gordon whom increases in intelligence after an operation conducted by highly respectable scientists and doctors. As he grows in intelligence he realizes the prejudice, and injustice he had faced before in his life. As flashbacks of past memories continue to haunt his mind, he begins to seperate himself from his old self, and eventually ends up competing his own mind against the mind of his old self.

Anyways, I suggest anyone that loves to read, to pick up this book, I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.

Darcy

Darcy LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Lately I've been reading books by Jack Kerouac. He's so great. I'm right in the middle of Maggie Cassidy and so far I'm loving it.

I'm also reading Kingdom Of Fear by Hunter S. Thompson. Great book.

nari

nari Well-Known Member

my dad really wants the Da vinci Code and i herd it was a good book but we don't have in our library yet mu said she might get the fact one 4 farthers day then i could read it :bookread: shhh ! lol :p

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

Last book I read (in english) was Lord Of The Flies, I know it's an old book but it was great reminded me of Lost a lot. (It might have something to do with it I guess.) If you like Lost read the book because you'll see links to the serie everywhere!

Harry Potter and the half blood prince is great too I'm reading it in Dutch but I like the english books better.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

The last book I read was Jarhead. The film cut a load of it out and mixed up the order of some of the events. Oh yeah, it's good.

flyboy51

flyboy51 Well-Known Member

If you want a good suspense novel try the prey series by John Sandford, they're pretty good. The first one is called "Rules of Prey".

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Pleassse read 'Perdido street station' by China Miéville. It's such a great book, one of the best ones I've ever read.

Link

Link lolwut

Saddest book eva: 'Night' by Elie Wiesel. It's the autobiography of a young man's experiences in a concentration camp. I've never felt more defeated, and none of this happened to me. It's sad that the human race went so fucking low.

the_king_of_all

the_king_of_all LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

At the moment i'm read The 39 steps by John Buchan (I think, i'll edit this if that's wrong). Haven't really got into it yet but it seems a great read. otherwise, try Black hawk down (Mark Bowden) so much better than the movie, and i love the movie anyway. like Dean said with Jarhead, the movie cuts out a lot and switches events and people around. the book is a lot lot better. Also War of the worlds (H G Wells) Again, a lot lot LOT better than the movie, and CSI books are usualy pretty good (I think the one i read was 'Sin City'. not sure who it's by though)

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I'm going to start reading The Da Vinci Code again. It's going to be fantastic. I'm never bored of that book...no matter how many times I read it.

buddhabelly

buddhabelly Member

any book by Janet Evanovich

she writes the Stephanie Plum series
    its really funny, which is the main reason i like it, but it has lots of suspense

Pilkington

Pilkington Well-Known Member

I've never liked Dan Brown's style of writing, personally.
    I'd recommend anything by Terry Pratchett, Michael Crichton (Prey & Sphere would be favourites). Stephen King's short story collections are good, especially "Skeleton Crew". Jeffrey Deaver & Ian Rankin are also great crime/thriller writers. Ben Elton & Rob Grant write some good comedies as well.