My "Hybrid" Theory

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Will, Oct 19, 2005.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I am going to propose an idea that I know that no-one has thought of before.

What if it is, in fact, Mike Shinoda that is holding Linkin Park back?

I have been thinking about this a lot, ever since Shinoda’s “Fort Minor” side-project was revealed to the world. I started to think about Linkin Park’s music, and how it related to Fort Minor. The problem that I found myself facing every time that I thought about this is that I could not find a relation – at all.

During Linkin Park’s early years, when they were still called “Xero,” the band was much more rap-oriented than they were rock-oriented. After they changed their name to “Hybrid Theory,” they became more rock-oriented, but not by much. Their debut EP, an aptly-titled self-titled release, had two tracks that were pure hip-hop on them, and also featured a freestyle interlude. (Yes, I am aware that those two tracks had guitar on them; I don’t care.)

The band’s debut album, which was released after they changed their name to “Linkin Park,” didn’t contain a single rap-oriented song. All of them were fairly hard-rocking – even “In the End.” (You can call it pop if you’d like, but it’s not; the Backstreet Boys might be able to play their own instruments but Linkin Park sounds nothing like them.) There was even a song in which Shinoda seemed non-existent, and which also happened to be the band’s first single – “One Step Closer.”

Fast-forward two years to a remix album that everyone either loves or hates. What’s featured predominantly on the album? What’s that? Rap artists? Hip-hop artists? That’s why almost no-one likes the album. Linkin Park aren’t rap. They’re rap-rock. There were too many songs on that album that tipped the scales with their rap orientation as opposed to the songs that were rock-oriented.

A year later, we get Meteora, an amalgam of rap and rock – or is it? There is one hard-rocking song again, with no presence of Shinoda at all – “Don’t Stay.” (A coincidental song title, maybe?) However, this is to be expected – Linkin Park is a rock band. However, Shinoda wrote a song that was all rap – “Nobody’s Listening.”

That song shouldn’t have been on the album. The only way that it even fit in with the album was because of the addition of superfluous guitars in the chorus and Bennington’s seemingly-forced vocals. I think that the only reason this song was on the album was to give fans a look into Shinoda’s upcoming side-project, “Fort Minor.”

My proof? Collision Course – a rap-oriented project.

Maybe it’s Shinoda that’s holding the band back by being too controlling and focusing too much on what he wants instead of what his band’s fans want, which is a hard-rocking album with songs like “One Step Closer,” “Don’t Stay,” “Crawling,” “Easier to Run” and “Faint.”

I’m sorry if this seems a bit thrown together. It’s 2:30 AM. Give me a break.

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

Sorry but I dont want Linkin Park to sound like the hundreds of other rock bands out there. Thats why I like them because there rap-rock. Didnt Mike write Breaking The Habit which is the farthest thing from rap? So much more to say but like you said its 230 and I'm really tired.

Maybe a hundred Linkin Park fans want an all rock album but I bet yea LP is making it rap-rock just for me ^_^

Will

If you ask me, I could hear "Breaking the Habit" alongside any other song that we've heard from Fort Minor... if there was some kind of R&B artist on the track.

That's just how I feel, anyway.

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

Do you like rap at all?

Will

I like some.

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

Some is how much and who?

MaX

MaX Well-Known Member

As far as I know, I think LP is much more unique then other rock bands.

The thing is that I don know why Mike Shinoda wants to produce songs with Fort Minor.

And Chester is soloing.(I ain't sure about this)

:(

Purehatred

Purehatred Member

Well the Theory is not that bad you know... :teehee:

But i think its pretty much about what kind of Music lover you are..

lets make it clear, In linkin Park we got 2 Front Genres Hiphop/Rap - Rock/Metal. and the fans still say the same thing about, "oh i love the Mix of It", but we dont have to be naive to figure out that Linkin Park is NOT that perfect pieced together..

But who do you think has the voice in Linkin Park, if Mike or Chester said; I Think the music is to much Heavy/ The Music is to much influenced by Hiphop....

I personally think that Mike is the Really "Owner/Voice" of Linkin Park. hees been there from the start, and you can see how "Every" project turns to his way..

When i first saw Collition Course, my first though where; Chester you NEVER Gonna get a voice in this project !

MaX

MaX Well-Known Member

You sure?

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

i have never looked at it that way before Will.... and to be honest with you i kinda agree, its a very valid point to make :wth:

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

Didn't Mike, like, start the band? Surely he's going to be the one controlling it if he started it?

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Mike is probably the most talented out of all the other band members because he will master any musical instrument or technique that's given to him. To be quite honest without Mike do you think Hybrid Theory would have been the best selling album of 2001 worldwide? I sure as hell don't.

NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

Exactly. Without Mike controlling everything, Linkin Park is garbage.

EDIT: Purehatred, resize your sig!

Purehatred

Purehatred Member

Garbage is a pretty big word ;).... Linkin Park would prob. just stop working together.. but your right about; without Mike they would'nt drave the same attraction, or uniqe style..... :mellow:

NickelNine

Garbage is a pretty big word ;).... Linkin Park would prob. just stop working together.. but your right about; without Mike they would'nt drave the same attraction, or uniqe style..... :mellow: [/b][/quote]
    What you said is pretty much what I meant by it.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I disagree. I think Mike is by far the most talented and creative member of the band. He pushes their creative envelope. I liked 'Reanimation' (which Mike produced) more than 'Meteora'. Mike's shown he has lyrical skills in what I would call Linkin Park's most Linkin-Park-esque song; "Dedicated", along with other songs like the stuff from the HTEP, "It's Going Down", and more.

For the most part, 'Hybrid Theory' is an album with rapping verses and singing/screaming choruses and bridges. There are exceptions, but that album is the best material Linkin Park have ever released. It's an overall amazing album, with most of the songs that Mike dominates, namely "Papercut", "A Place For My Head", "Forgotten", and "In the End" being the highlights from the album.

I think Linkin Park just needs a new producer. I'd trust Mike completely with that role because he made 'Reanimation' into more than just a boring remix album, he actually improved on some of the 'Hybrid Theory' songs (which is a tough thing to do). And the instrumentals for these Fort Minor songs are off the hook. He's a very talented musician,and I don't see him as the one who's pulling the band back. I think it's the record company and producer trying to make them fit into the mainstream mold. If they can make an album with no strings attached, no one controlling them except themselves, then I think they could make some great music, especially with Mike at the helm.

越南

越南 Well-Known Member

Good point.
    I have to admit that i didnt really like any of the remixes either, as well as the song 'nobody's listening' on the meteora album.
    Its not that i dont like Mike its just that when he does his rapping on the songs that are mostly him singing, it doesnt really sound good with any of the beats and riffs that linkin park has put out there.Put chesters voice and some guitars in there and it gives it a hip hop/heavy rock sound, which many fans perfer. Which is why mike and chester are probably doing solo albums right now, to promote their singing and to see how they would sound out without 'the band',what limits they could take their skills to, and to see how many fans would perfer mikes album over chesters , or vis versa.

The reanimation just didnt sound good to me because the rappers in there didnt really connect to the music of hybrid theory, they ruined it with bad rhymes and remade lyrics of the songs (which really didnt fit with the bands music).There were barely any songs that i liked on that album.

Mike has a different and unique sound that i rarely see in any emcee's/rappers.Which is why i think he sounds so good with linkin park. They have created their own sound in the music industry, drawing in rock and rap fans in from all over the world. Every fan wants more of rap or rock from the group, but if one had its way then many fans would begin to lose interest. Which is why i think the band wouldnt just be the same if chester or mike left.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Will makes an excellent point, but I disagree.

Mike Shinoda is not necessarily the one 'in control', but he is basically the member of Linkin Park who drives the band. Not controlling it, but more or less helping it out greatly. Xero's material was excellent, and yes, it was more rap than rock. Hybrid Theory EP had it's share of rap. Hybrid Theory had some rap in it, but its metal side was what the album, for the most part, was. Reanimation was a rap album for the most part, but it was truly Linkin Park's best material to date. Meteora's only true rap was Nobody's Listening, and even then I think that song sucked and that it shouldn't have been included on the album.

And Collision Course was probably as close as Linkin Park got to rap.

Fort Minor's released material has been amazing to me. Sure, the lyrics are a bit weak compared to lyrics such as 'Dedicated' and 'It's Goin' Down', but Mike isn't restricted now. Who knows if the rest of 'The Rising Tied' will truly show a side of Mike's rapping that we haven't seen before? Who knows if it will be amazing? We have to wait and see.

It's production that has brought Linkin Park to what it is now. Don Gilmore did pretty good for Hybrid Theory, but Meteora's production was, well, pretty bad. Think if Mike had produced the album. Reanimation was just excellent. Meteora would have been much better.

As Mark said, if Linkin Park did make an album with 'no strings attached', there would be a positive outcome. Especially because of Mike Shinoda.

But you made a good point, Will. A very good point.

quiksilv3r91

quiksilv3r91 Member

1) Mike is probably the LAST person who
    wants to hold LP back why would he want
    to destroy somethin he helped build? I'm sure
    he wants LP to succeed in everyway possible
    (unless this is something bigger..beyond LP..
    maybe this is his way of getting back at Warner?)

2) Collision Course was just a fun album that MTV
    Mike and Jay-Z got together to do besides thats
    what MTV wanted 2 diverse groups/bands coming
    together to create 1 album

3) I'm not sure every single fan wants to have
    a hard rock LP album..I have a lot of friends that
    listen mainly to rap and the only thing close to rock
    they like is Linkin Park...LP is a bridge between the gap
    if they went all rock or all rap they'd lose half of their
    fans

NickelNine

1) Mike is probably the LAST person who
    wants to hold LP back why would he want
    to destroy somethin he helped build? I'm sure
    he wants LP to succeed in everyway possible
    (unless this is something bigger..beyond LP..
    maybe this is his way of getting back at Warner?)

2) Collision Course was just a fun album that MTV
    Mike and Jay-Z got together to do besides thats
    what MTV wanted 2 diverse groups/bands coming
    together to create 1 album

3) I'm not sure every single fan wants to have
    a hard rock LP album..I have a lot of friends that
    listen mainly to rap and the only thing close to rock
    they like is Linkin Park...LP is a bridge between the gap
    if they went all rock or all rap they'd lose half of their
    fans [/b][/quote]
    I agree 100% with everything you said.