Cindy Sheehan - Support or Not?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by USAF.07, Aug 20, 2005.

?

Do you support Cindy Sheehan?

1. Yes, she is right to question the invasion of Iraq

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, she weakens the morale of our military

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Somewhat, she makes a few good points

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Who's Cindy Sheehan?, I don't follow the news

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    USAF.07

USAF.07 Well-Known Member

What are your opinions on this story? I personally feel she is a patriot and hopefully is the start of a nationwide peace movement to withdraw our troops from Iraq soon. The right is very scared of her because of the support she is receiving and they should be. Left-wing groups are not using her, but rather supporting her. The majority of America and the world now feels this way, but what are the views here on LPA?

Weezy

Weezy Well-Known Member

Okay well as some of you may know, I'm quite liberal when it comes to my political beliefs. :)

I believe she is trying to get the US out of Iraq asap, and respect what she is doing. Citizens should protest when the believe something is wrong.

My views on the war were like hers a while ago, but I thought about it; we can't pull out of Iraq until the job is done.

Personally I would have never started the war. But since we have an idiot president, we're stuck in there. If we leave now like she wants, Iraq will fall -- to terrorism, bombings, or a civil war.

I do not believe in the war, but I support the troops.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

I agree...but when is the job done? If it's up to Bush, we'll never pull out yet we shouldn't pull out right now. We need to compromise and come up with a solid objective. When reached, we should gradually pull out.

What the hell is the objective anyway???

Link04

Link04 Ambient

Perhaps it's the presence of the troops that is instigating terrorism and insurgency? I'm not so sure those things wouldn't happen if we stay there.

Too bad to hear about her ill mother. Though I don't exactly see her means of protest too genius, she's got the right idea. It's too bad that it took an experience so close to home before she realized that war does not solve a damned thing.

No matter which way you slice it, this war is crap.

The United States has managed to even FURTHER undermine international efforts of progression (even excluding their stances on the International Criminal Court, Anti-Ballistic Missile treaty, ect) by taking action against Iraq without UN backing. If the weapons inspectors had been given more time and resources to do their jobs, they would have found what we've found; nothing. Then there would be one less major justification for war. What's even more rediculous is that at one time, the Bush administration had the nerve to condemn Iraq for refusing to cooporate with the UN!

Not that the other justifications were in any way right to begin with. Iraq isn't guilty of having any significant ties to Al-Qaida, or other Afgahn militant groups. Or at least, not as many as we've had whist arming them during the Cold War, or even after with our MASSIVE Arms Trade.

And now? We're libertating them, supposedly. We're bringing the good ol' democratic process STRAIGHT to the Iraqi people! And what exactly will the ramifications of such actions be? Well, the Public Execution of criminals is one, along with the torture of Iraqi suspects. There are still several ethnic and religious issues that even the hallowed democratic process may not be able to solve. I guess we'll have to wait and see how minorities like the Sunni Muslim and the ethnic Kurds are treated. This, along with the Hundreds of Displaced Refugees, and tens of thousands of Civilians murdered, makes for a bleak situation. US troops haven't been exactly met with showers of flowers as some would like you believe. The reconstruction hasn't exactly been up to par either.

USAF.07

100% agree with everything you said, couldn't of stated things better myself

Ant

Ant Ambient

I don't really want to get too in-depth into it, because I'm sure I'll start a heated debate, but I just don't agree with her.

When you're signing up for any form of the military -- any form at all -- they do their best to try and persuade you not to join. The military actually does a rather good job at making sure people know what they're getting themselves into. Of course, sometimes when you live in poor neighborhoods they won't stress it as much, but they still explain it to you none-the-less, and you should be able to read what you're signing yourself into to begin with.

That said, her son (I believe it was a son, correct?) should have known what he was getting himself into. She can complain about it all she wants, and I feel sorry that she lost her son, but he should've known what he got himself into, and chances are he did.

And whether you agree with the war or not, I don't think the right thing is to leave Iraq at this point in time. It would be the absolute worst thing we could possibly do. History has shown it's utterly stupid to leave a country after occupying it for a short period of time -- just look at Afghanistan for cripes sakes!

Lots of people don't agree with the war and don't supprt it... but I think no matter what your beliefs are, it's hard to make a good case as to why we should leave. That's just my opinion, though, and I'm not going to spend the entire topic debating it -- everyone has varying beliefs.

And, lastly, one thing I do have to say is that the United States is recieving better recognition from the Iraqis than the media will have you believe. I can say this from knowing quite a few people stationed there and in other portions of the Middle East. Yes, there is anti-U.S. sentiments, but from what I've been told from people who were actually there, there's far more pro-U.S. sentiments.

Edit: So much for going too in-depth, but oh well. :lol: Don't expect me to respond to any posts in this topic, but anyone can go ahead and disagree with all my opinions if they wish :)

LD50

LD50 Well-Known Member

I don't follow the news.

Besides, war's good for the economy... (<-- it's called satire)

Weezy

Weezy Well-Known Member

Really? They came to my school and said great things about the military-- great starting pay, college tuition help, being able to tour the world, good job experience. I didn't hear any cons about joining the military. :unsure:

Link04

Link04 Ambient

I definitely agree with you on the whole point of a soldiers volition. I mean, when you sign the dotted line, you should realize what you're getting yourself into.

From what I hear from independant media, there's a whole load of anti-US sentiment. But of course, their opinions vary as much as ours do.

DIJ Metal

DIJ Metal Banned

I support her. The war is ******** and isn't necissary (sp?) I think we should come to some agreement with the country instead of going over there and blowing everything up, hundreds of our troops have been killed over there.....but we also need the troops there to catch the guys that seem to think they can go and blow up our buildings and buildings in London. It's all a big mess, I hope they stop soon because I'm almost 18 so if a draft happens I'm up shit creek without a paddle I know I'd die....I can't even beat a war game how am I supposed to shoot real guns and kill people? lol

Ant

Ant Ambient

Yes, I know that -- they do that at most schools. First they promote the military and tell you how it's going to be great, but when you actually go in to sign the papers and everything they do their best to dissuade you and explain to you how hard it is. At least, in most cases (like I said about poor areas -- sometimes they don't stress it as much in these places... not saying you live in a poor area) they do.

Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

Ant... I think I love you.

'nuff said.

Detri

Detri Well-Known Member

Did you need to hear the cons?

There's really only one con, getting maimed or killed. :wth:

Link04

Link04 Ambient

I think killing others would be a fairly large second con.

USAF.07

I definitely agree with you on the whole point of a soldiers volition. I mean, when you sign the dotted line, you should realize what you're getting yourself into.

From what I hear from independant media, there's a whole load of anti-US sentiment. But of course, their opinions vary as much as ours do. [/b][/quote]
    I'm currently in the US Air Force and although I knew what signing that contract meant, the point of sending us to fight in an illegal, immoral war outweighs that committment. I'm all for supporting everyone who is sent there and has to deal with the hardships, but the point Cindy Sheehan is trying to make is not that her son didn't know what he was getting into when he enlisted, it was that the war itself is illegal and he should of never been sent to die there in the first place.

When you commit yourself to defending your country, you are prepared to give your life in it's defense; on the other side of the process, you are supposed to trust in your government and your president that they will NEVER put you in danger unless it is needed. Bush has violated and broken that sacred trust, no one's life is worth that war; Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11, there was no WMD found, and Saddam was not a threat to US national security.

I cannot wait until the truth is brought out surely enough through documents and memos, only then will the rest of the Bush lovers realize that man for who he is. He made of won a 2nd term, but he will eventually go down in presidential history with the likes of Nixon, not the "man who brought freedom to the Middle East".

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Bush keeps saying that if we pull out, it will be a threat to our security. Why the hell would it be a threat if all the troops came back to help our defenses?

USAF.07

Glenn:

Bush says that by pulling us out of Iraq we will weaken our national defenses because without a military presence there, his radical plan to dominate that region of the world cannot be achieved. I can't say if it's for oil, revenge for trying to kill his father, to deter Iran (probably all 3), but one thing is for certain, we have created even more extremists now and probably bought ourselves another 9/11 in the next 5 years due to this war, so if anything the decisions he has made have cost even more American lives in the future not to mention the 1800 military killed already and tens of thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians.

If Bush really wanted to go after those who attacked us on 9/11, the job in Afghanistan would have been finished a long time ago and top Al Qaida leadership including Osama himself would be history by now, but the war in Iraq has taken away from that and because of it, we are trying to sustain two wars at once. Now let's assume something happened with North Korea or Iran, would we be in a position to fight in a 3rd theater of conflict? Most likely not, at least not without a draft, then the world would really notice.

So no, we are much less safe now thanks to Iraq, we've bred more terrorists, weakened our military, and turned many against us, only when Iraq is over and Bush is out that the United States begin to restore the credibility it once had with the nations of the world.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I can't stand her.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

Agreed. And, you're close. I believe the cause is the furthering of America's mission to extend its supremecy by making itself a military and economic force in all of the areas of the world with vast resources (and, not coincidentally, are kept in political chaos). Kosovo, the Gulf, Southeast Asia, ect. All more coal for the furnace of the empire.

savetomorrow

savetomorrow Well-Known Member

I voted Yes in support of Cindy Sheehan. Don't call me unpatriotic. Just because I don't support the president doesn't mean I don't support the military. This war is becoming more and more pointless. I mean Rumsfield and Bush are coining the new term " The Struggle Against Extremism". A struggle doesn't sound like we're making much progress. The soldiers have done great: they've captured Saddam and other "evil-doers". But now that Iraq has established "a democratic society", I think we should have our troops come back and have the Iraqis form and run their democratic government as they wish.