Criticise Your Favorite Bands

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Luke, Jul 31, 2005.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

There was a thread like this a long time ago but it died out.The purpose of this thread is to highlight the good and bad aspects of your favorite bands (Including LP if you want) and speak about them.

Trivium

Trivium have certain things that let them down a little.For example they have a tendancy to repeat verses in their songs,this plainly shows they couldn't write good enough verses so they had to repeat.Trivium also tend to have the exact same pattern of style for most of their songs,every band experiments with different methods but Trivium seem to stick to the same style of flow.

Don't get me wrong because at just 19 Matt Heafy is one of the elite guitarists in the world at this time and Trivium are defenatly a strong part of the future of metal but its just these little things that for Trivium's next album should be worked on.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Blur: They really, really need Graham Coxon back. Most of Think Tank was appalling compared to what the band where with him. Either that, or they should split up and leave behind what's otherwise a great legacy. Damon can concentrate on Gorillaz, and Dave and Alex are a talented rhythm section who would most likely end up in new bands.

Linkin Park: Sure, they're talented, but they need to expand on... well, pretty much everything on Hybrid Theory. Brad was competent on that record but with the next he needs to show more experimenting, and the same goes for Phoenix. I'm not asking for some fuck off Dream Theater-style solos - it doesn't really matter if he keeps his riffs simple as long as he lays off the drop D a little bit. I'd say the only one of the three main musicians in Linkin Park that currently rises above competent is Rob.
    To round it off, they shoud step it up with the lyrics, and Mike needs to show more of the ability that he shows on the LPU cds instead of the basic flows from the mass-released stuff.

Deftones: Chino is an ass. 'Nuff said.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Nine Inch Nails

Usually sobriety means bringing out the best in a person. In this case, yes it did bring out the best in Trent Reznor's personality, but musically? Yeah... uh, no. Drugs did the guy good. Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth are two good reasons why drugs are good musical enhancers. Otherwise, you create pieces of shit. That's exactly what those two albums are.

I was on a Nine Inch Nails high for a few months, leading up to the release of With Teeth. Listening to The Fragile and The Downward Spiral everyday, shit like that. I probably shouldn't have, because I fooled myself into thinking he could make another masterpiece like The Fragile. Well, he can't. Or he doesn't want to.

With Teeth is the apex of Nine Inch Nails' career (in Trent Reznor's mind, okay Ant?). It's not a high point to me. This is probably the last album that I'll ever buy that Reznor puts out there. I think I've lost faith in Reznor. Unless the next album is in a complete other direction that With Teeth, nothing can restore my faith in Nine Inch Nails and Trent Reznor.

Well, maybe if Closure comes out sometime in the next DECADE.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Not to be a jerk or anything, but the definition of apex is basically "the highest point."

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

You're being a jerk. Get out.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Excuse me, I was just trying to explain something to you. My fault.

Mushroom Cloud

Mushroom Cloud Well-Known Member

this is going to be kind of hard me for me since I really dont follow many specific bands too much....but I'll give it a shot.

Radiohead....I love their sound......but I think they are leaning a little too much on the disturbed electronic sound....I think it would be nice if they would kind of go back to guitars leading their sound with electronica supporting it.

Coldplay- greatly arranged music....but they need to bring in something to make their songs stand out more....their stuff can get a bit repetative (especially you dont like them in the first place).

Linkin Park- Pretty much what Dean said....and more......They need to graduate from being a Nu-metal band to an Alternative Rock Hip-hop Electronic band. The need to turn down the distortion on their guitars and start making better arrangements in their sound. And they gotta stop singing about the same stuff.....feeling sorry for myself was all fun in High School, But I kind of want to listen to music that goes a little beyond teen angst. They also need to stop worrying about their image and start making songs that are fun like Step Up and Sell My Soul To Yo Mama and bring them onto their studio albums.

yeah....this is a challenging thread.
    Also helps us get out some frustrations

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

Linkin Park

Broaded your musical lyrics. Stop writing about feeling "ignored" , "wounds" , and "pain". Make longer and better songs. I don't want another cd that's under 40 minutes. Give me guitar, bass and drum solos. Stop making "filler" cds. I'm sick and tired of buying them.

Staind

Go back to playing heavier music. 'Nuff said.

Good Charlotte

Why do you guys look like you've fallen into a puddle of black ink? You guys are disgusting looking and I don't see how teenage girls can think you're so attractive. Benji & Joel, please stop writing songs about when your dad left you. You're like 25 or 26 and yet you're still bitching about it.

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

I love you :lol:

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I love you :lol: [/b][/quote]
    No you don't,you love Randy Orton :lol:

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

chiodos- voice too high
    lovehatehero- singer has no range
    linkin park- no creativity

a life in ashes

a life in ashes mercury summer

Linkin Park: Stay kind the same style , but be more creative, and try to advance more musically, i.e some solos and drum fills. and no more fill in/remix albums !!!

Lostprophets: get heavier and stear clear of that emo/indie stuff that some of start something had. songs like We Still Kill the Old Way, To Hell We Ride and We are Godzilla, You Are Japan are the way to go.

Trivium: I would agree with Hellflame on this one.

Nine Inch Nails: go back to the darker instrument sound of The Fragile, even if you have upbeat lyrics like those on With Teeth, becuase the upbeat sounds off With Teeth get repetative after a while.

linkinpark_ben25

linkinpark_ben25 In Your Face!

slipknot:
    need a new album, they a getting a live one, they sound terrible live (my opinion), they need a new album, that isnt live.

korn:
    they have gone soft, go back to the time with songs like, here to stay and here it comes again.

linkin park:
    i know they are gettin a new album but it needs to be out soon.

gorillaz:
    they changed their style dramatically on their album 'demon days'. took me a while to like them again.

linkin park and x-ecutioners:
    should get together and do another song together again, because it's going down was a good song.

blink 182:
    why did they split up. stupid decision :(

the white stripes:
    they changed dramitically on their album 'get behind me satan'.

drowning pool:
    need to decide who their singer is and keep him.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

I find it somewhat interesting that people are listing bands changing as a critisisim. Yeah, maybe we won't like the change much, but I'd have much more respect for a band that took risks and changed then one that stayed more or less the same.

Whenever a band changes, someone, maybe a lot of someone's, won't like it. That's just life. With every band that has a large catologue, each fan will have their "utopia" album, the one they think is the bestest in the whole world. And everytime a band puts out something that sounds different from that album they WILL be dissapointed, even if only a little.

Seb

Seb Active Member

Tool/A Perfect Circle-Maynard has amazing talent, but he's an asshole. I wish he would stop bashing God and Jesus in some of his songs (Judith, Sober,Eulogy). I was amazed when I heard Judith for the first time, but when I looked up the lyrics, shit. I just hope that lyrically the new perfect circle album will be more like thirteenth step instead of mer de noms. That's my only complaint. Everything else about there music is fucking awesome.

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

Both the songs you listed are newer songs, lol. ;)

Mudvayne: I love these guys so fucking much, but what happened? Their new album is good by all means but were's all the creativity from their previous works, I didn't hear even one crazy bassline through out the entire album. It just seems they just want more air play. Once again I'm not say their new album is bad, I just think it'd better if they kept with the creativity which they had in their older material.

Darcy

Darcy LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Weezer: They haven't put out anything really amazing since Pinkerton. The Green Album was really kind of generic. It had its fair share of good songs, but they weren't special, they were just kind of fun. The vocals were kind of emotionless, and the lyrics were kind of dumb. Maladroit sucked, enough said. Make Believe is good, it's a step in the right direction, but it needs to be less apologetic. The songs from Make Believe are really fun in concert, though.

Oasis: What's The Story (Morning Glory) was one of the best albums ever made. It was just perfect. I enjoy Definitely Maybe, even though it's not really that great, it's fun to listen to and it makes me happy. Other than that, everything they've put out has just been terribly bland British pop/rock. They made a huge improvement with Don't Believe The Truth, I'll give them that, but those songs are kind of boring, and no fun to hear live. All of the high points from the concert were songs from What's The Story (Morning Glory). They need to have more songs that are just fun and reflective and less songs that are just ''Holy fuck, we're broke, let's put out another album really quick so we can make another million dollars!''

Counting Crows: Put out a new album! It's been years!

I Don't Need No Accuser

I Don't Need No Accuser Well-Known Member

Linkin Park would sound stupid if they put guitar solos, drums solos etc. in their music. I couldn't picture it. I think they would have to change so much to actually make that work in their music and I would be so uninterested if they did put those in there. I want to hear from piano, scratching, and maybe a guitar solo. But not something that sounds out of place and they just do it to say ''We use guitar solos.'' And really, I think they would take the same amount of time to make a new cd regardless of the ''filler'' cds. So if you don't want them, don't buy them.

The only thing I wish is that LP change up their formula and make longer songs.

I really hope they go back to their old style on their new CD. Or do something different. I pray they don't do American Idiot pt. II

arT saveS

arT saveS Y2K

I'm not trying to be a jerk or asshole when I say this. I just want to explain something. Maynard is atheist. He doesn't believe in "god", he believes if there was a god his mother should not have died the way she did. He has anger against "god", and so therefore he writes it down. Maynards lyrics are amazing except for the oddballs.

That's why he bashes god. Most tool fans like his "bashing god" songs. I do.

Edit: About the Linkin Park thing. They aren't going to add solos, it's not going to happen. I doubt warner would let them if they wanted to anyways. Truthfully, they need to disband. Ever since reanimation they've been shit. Hybrid Theory was amazing, I still listen to it now and then. But Meteora was the shittiest album I've ever listened to. If they keep going, they need to expand the lyrical aspects of their songs, lay off the barre chords, arrange the songs differently, make them longer, just TRY a bit. Linkin Park have the potential to make something great, that's proven with HT. Otherwise when they go, they will be remembered as shitty. Actually, they might still be remembered as shitty if they broke up today, but atleast they only put out 3 (including the Jay Z thing) shitty albums so far.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I'm not trying to be a jerk or asshole when I say this. I just want to explain something. Maynard is atheist. He doesn't believe in "god", he believes if there was a god his mother should not have died the way she did. He has anger against "god", and so therefore he writes it down. Maynards lyrics are amazing except for the oddballs.

That's why he bashes god. Most tool fans like his "bashing god" songs. I do.

Edit: About the Linkin Park thing. They aren't going to add solos, it's not going to happen. I doubt warner would let them if they wanted to anyways. Truthfully, they need to disband. Ever since reanimation they've been shit. Hybrid Theory was amazing, I still listen to it now and then. But Meteora was the shittiest album I've ever listened to. If they keep going, they need to expand the lyrical aspects of their songs, lay off the barre chords, arrange the songs differently, make them longer, just TRY a bit. Linkin Park have the potential to make something great, that's proven with HT. Otherwise when they go, they will be remembered as shitty. Actually, they might still be remembered as shitty if they broke up today, but atleast they only put out 3 (including the Jay Z thing) shitty albums so far. [/b][/quote]
    How did his mother die?