12 Yr old dies from Computer-Game OD

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by RX8LP, Jun 24, 2005.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

So, if you've had experience with it, educate me. What takes place? Is your mind just used to the stimulation or what? There's still a gap for me as to why one is literally addicted to a video game. Would you say this is a self-induced or non self induced pshysological condition, where you think you have to play it? I'm just saying, there's a difference between thinking you have to play it and literally needing to play it. I'm sorry to hear about your former situation.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Here's a reminder that the boy died from epileptic seizures from looking at a computer screen and constantly shifting his eyes around all over it. The fact of the matter is that for some unhealthy reason, he played video games for 12 hours straight.

I think there's a difference between "addiction" and "obsession". "Addiction" would be used in cases where something genetic or chemical forces you to do something like smoke or drink. "Obsession" is when your mind feels helpless to do anything but do something such as play a video game. Personally, I think it's more of an obsession that an addiction.

And Link04, I know you're debating, but try and lessen on the whole provocation tactic.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

It's weird. It's sort of like what adrenaline junkies crave. How they feel, they feel that they don't want to lose that high. I played the game because it was constantly exciting, and I always got a adrenaline boost from it, and it was a good feeling, and I had it constant, so much so that when I stopped playing, I would lose it and feel down, and I hated that. It's really hard to explain.

And Mark, addiction is just a stronger obsession, one that is very hard to get rid of. I know and have felt the differences.

cooljelly

cooljelly Well-Known Member

might have been pacman! lol

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I guess you didn't see the post where Nate suggested renaming this thread the "official heartless bastards thread"? :rolleyes:

CloserToCrawling

CloserToCrawling Ambient

Poor boy. Pity that he died for such a worthless reason. :mellow:

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I thought this would be some of the contrived shit you read in the Daily Mail about people being influenced by video games to kill and stuff. Poor kid.

RX8LP

RX8LP Well-Known Member

Yep, i so agree with you there.

but honestly i dunno how you could play comp games for that long. Id play something for around 2-3 hours straight and then id have to take a break for that long lol. and this would be a game that id really be into.

Matt

Matt Official Ghost of the LPA LPA Super Member

Solitaire.

NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

how often do you play videogames? i dont play that often so when i do its maybe for a couple hours but if its a game i really like, ill play straight for a lot longer.. (MGS 4 and FFX were highly addictive for me)

xero agnostos

xero agnostos Well-Known Member

12 hours isn't that much. I have def played sessions that long during the summer or when GTA/Halo came out. However, it wasn't daily and it was awhile ago. I guess I'm just that hardcore.

I guess later in life I can brag to my kids about surviving the video game epidemic of my day...

bennylp

bennylp Guest

Idiot...at least controll yourself playing video games, i play GT 4 for 12 hours, but i have breakes. like every hour or so, i take a walk, or streatch or something. You can't sit in one spot for 12 hours without any drinks food...etc

i don't believe this

cya

benny

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

Sorry but i gotta, I agree with the person who said they should put Natural Selection on his death certificate.

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

If you're playing for 12 hours and taking breaks during that time, it isn't really 12 hours, now is it? ;)

Justin

Justin See you there

No shit, your username is 'eXess'.

Poor kid, but what a total dumbass. I agree, they should put 'Natural Selection' on his death certificate.

Hopefully, the parents can get a refund from the game company. :lol:

bennylp

bennylp Guest

Honestly, of my mum didn't have any washing, cleaning, cooking, jobs etc, she would play spider solitare all day

...12 hours total time of playing GT4, so there fore it would be about, 14 hours ^_^

Justin, Your EVIL!!!!!

But honestly, they should get more, like compensation, because they didn't go to the kid (or at least we think) and say "oh, you have been playing for 2 hours now, we require you to get a drink for a few secs, and have a break" They just let him "Computer" Himself to death

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

A refund or compensation from the game company has been mentioned. Uh, they don't owe the family shit. Its sad the kid died and I feel sorry for his family, but it was his choice to play the game that long. A stupid and fatal choice, however, his choice and no one elses. Just as bad as people suing McDonalds because the food made them obese. Everyone needs to stop being so sue-happy and stop viewing tragedies as goldmines.