Religion Dilemma

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Cale., Apr 22, 2005.

Cale.

Cale. Banned

Ok. Firstly i am a Christian. I believe in God and go to church and all that kind of stuff. But i recently quired A Perfect Circle's Mer De Noms album and i've been hooked on the "Judith" track. I just can't stop singing it. But the issue arises is that the song is pretty much anti-christ. Here are the lyrics

Do you think its wrong for me to sing that song, just for the reason of it being catchy and a good song. Not to promote anti-christ kind of stuff. I don't know if its a conflict of interest or not :unsure:

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Probably not, but then again, I'm biased since I agree with the lyrics 110%

WalmartvsKmart

WalmartvsKmart Extremely H! Vltg3

Its ok to sing it

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

If a certain religion makes you feel guilty for singing along to song lyrics, I think it's time to reconsider your role in that religion.

Anyways, the lyrics aren't even really anti-christian. Yeah, they are, but they were written out of anger when Maynard's mother, a woman who lived her life exactly the way a Christian is supposed to, died, and yet all the terrible people around him are still alive.

Good song, too.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I agree that religion shouldn't say what one can listen to, depending on the lyrics. In my opinion, people should be allowed to disagree or say something against a religion and not be flamed for it. It's their opinion and it should be respected.

Casey said it best, read his post.

blondeBLOOD

blondeBLOOD New Member

if it truly makes you feel guilty you shouldn't listen to it. but if you don't feel bad when you listen to it, then go ahead. a church can't decide what you listen to, only "suggest".

Link04

Link04 Ambient

Do what you want, man. Don't let your mind be oppressed by such fixed ideas. Liberate yourself.

Cale.

Cale. Banned

i don't feel guilty or anything. Or maybe i do. i dont know. Whenever i'm listening to it (right now infact) I start singing the chorus "talk to jesus christ as if he knows the reason why" i just keep thinking is this right? But i think Casey summed it up pretty well. I will keep singing along ^_^

LPfreaK1852

LPfreaK1852 Well-Known Member

i think it depends on how religious you are. if uoy go to church every sunday than its wrong.
    but i gotta tell you the lyrics are so damn true.........

a life in ashes

a life in ashes mercury summer

i think it depends on how strong your faith is. personally as a christian i wouldn't listen to that song, but if i liked the band i'd listen to their other songs just not that one.

for example i love NIN but some of the songs e.g heresy are really anti-christ so i skip those tracks and listen to others...
    so just because one song is bad doesn't mean you can't listen to the band, but at the end of the day it depends on how guilty you personally feel.

fallenangel

fallenangel Well-Known Member

totally agree. i am so fed up of religion dictating your own life. at the end of the day, it's only a song. listen or not listen, it should be up to you.

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

If you sing the words and yet you don't believe in them, then I don't see why the hell you're singing them in the first place. I don't see how someone could like a song and yet not believe in the message it's carrying out. I don't believe in liking a song just because it's "catchy".

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

The hell? You think you can only sing along to a song if you believe in the lyrics?

Or maybe I read that all wrong. And I hope I did.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

I disagree...some things are just fun to sing. Example: I rarely drink, but one of my happiest memories is belting out "Drunken Lullabies" at a Flogging Molly show.

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

I disagree...some things are just fun to sing. Example: I rarely drink, but one of my happiest memories is belting out "Drunken Lullabies" at a Flogging Molly show. [/b][/quote]
    That's cool. But I can't do something like that. Like, if a song is catchy and it's lyrics are about something that I can't relate to, I'll just think it's a waste of a catchy tune. Usually I try finding an instruement only version of the song if that's the case. But then again, I'm quite lazy. =)

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

That's cool. But I can't do something like that. Like, if a song is catchy and it's lyrics are about something that I can't relate to, I'll just think it's a waste of a catchy tune. Usually I try finding an instruement only version of the song if that's the case. But then again, I'm quite lazy. =) [/b][/quote]
    Instruemental versions of songs (usually) rock...

yes yes I know... [/off topic]

Weezy

Weezy Well-Known Member

Eh, listen to the song. What you do is for you to decide, not someone else. :)

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

you can listen to what you want and think what you want....you didn't write the song did you? then you don't have to take responsibility for the song lyrics, to yourself or anyone else.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I am a christian and I believe it is completely fine for you to listen to music of that nature, as I do not believe a religion should influence what music you listen to.

I have since confessed to liking Manson music and everyone knows how he's as far from christian as they come. ("I'm not a slave..to a god, that doesn't exist...")

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Religion shouldn't choose what songs you listen to; you should choose what songs you listen to. :)