Does it piss you off that...

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Jimmy Mac, Dec 31, 2004.

Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Well-Known Member

people hate a band just because they are popular? At the radio show I do, bands like Linkin Park, Metallica and Nickelback (my 3 favorite) are looked down upon because of their popularity. It sucks tho because they have so much good stuff that doesn't get a lick of airtime on mainstream, and all of a sudden people hate them because they are popular. I mean... it's one thing to be upset because the band you had in your back pocket suddently became everyone's favorite band... but to hate them for being successful? it just seems to me like many people just want to see the mighty fall.

With that said, if you haven't gotten them, get Nickelback's "Curb" and "The State". They are fantastic albums.

Lpfan668

Lpfan668 Well-Known Member

I do hate that. People flame me for likeing Green Day. But the truth is, even if bands are popular, a TRUE fan wouldn't care. They would stick with them anyway.

savetomorrow

savetomorrow Well-Known Member

Just because a band is popular doesnt mean you should hate them. The people who are haters for bands being popular are the same people that wear Hurley shirts just to be considered skater and hate all people that wear anything unskater like Abercrombie. These people get on my nerves.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Yeah, I hate a lot of people that say that they hate bands because they are sold out. i can understand their annoyance if they keep hearing overplayed songs, but that's the way the stupid media and the radio work, just get used to it. If you are truly a fan, you will listen to music and disregard how many other people listen to them.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

It's a stupid idea for people to hate a band's popularity anyway because doesn't that mean that the "good" bands are the ones nobody likes? But then why do you like them? Do you want everyone else to hate your music and nobody to relate your music to? And if your "good" bands got more fans would you hate them then? People that say popular bands suck don't realize how contradictory it is.

越南

越南 Well-Known Member

Most people dont even listen to other bands music and they assume that they suck or hate them.
    I think its stupid. But if i ever hated a band i'd listen to some of their songs first before i made the decision of hating them.

TeMpEsT

TeMpEsT Live To Thrash LPA Super Member

"Underground" music listeners hate bands not only because they're popular, but that the popular music is in terms the lesser talented music. The term "sold out" comes from bands that will use their image in any way, shape, or form to get to the top of their game and gather as much money as they can. Thus, most popular music groups are "sell outs."

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Except that bands who make it mainstream don't always use their image in that way. Do you think they have a choice? The music industry is very harsh, the only way to potentially earn money is to sign up with a major label, and the MAJOR LABEL is the one that twists their image through contracts and the like. It's the MAJOR LABELS that want bands to sound a certain way or to do something.

How is it "selling out" to want to earn money from an occupation? Isn't it everyone's dream to make it to the big time? So once you're good enough to be signed to a major label, and if you do, because you need the money or the distribution, you're a sell out?

Bands signed to major labels don't have less talented music. Example 1: Nine Inch Nails. Example 2: Jane's Addiction (although broken up at the moment). Example 3: Linkin Park.

lpassailant

lpassailant Well-Known Member

I liked LP before they were very popular, but now they got so popular, i kinda felt like i was doing it to be like the "cool kids" because the band i liked got huge, now i don;t feel original, i don;t like them any less, i kinda wish they'd get a little less popular though..either way, linkin park kicks ass.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

I don't like those bands because they're popular, I don't like them because I don't like their music. I'm not too into "mainstream", but I don't immideately write anything off just because it's popular. For instance, I'm a fan of Pearl Jam, Iron Maiden, and a few other big name bands that DESERVE their popularity (not implying that yours don't). That being said I usually consider myself pretty objective when it comes to music.

TeMpEsT

TeMpEsT Live To Thrash LPA Super Member

Except that bands who make it mainstream don't always use their image in that way. Do you think they have a choice? The music industry is very harsh, the only way to potentially earn money is to sign up with a major label, and the MAJOR LABEL is the one that twists their image through contracts and the like. It's the MAJOR LABELS that want bands to sound a certain way or to do something.

How is it "selling out" to want to earn money from an occupation? Isn't it everyone's dream to make it to the big time? So once you're good enough to be signed to a major label, and if you do, because you need the money or the distribution, you're a sell out?

Bands signed to major labels don't have less talented music. Example 1: Nine Inch Nails. Example 2: Jane's Addiction (although broken up at the moment). Example 3: Linkin Park. [/b][/quote]
    Sell out refers to bands that care for their money more than they care for their music, which is why a lot of bands have better debut albums than later albums.

Matt

Matt Official Ghost of the LPA LPA Super Member

The fact that people hate bands because they're popular is bulls**t. There are actually a few kids about my age that live in my neighborhood, and I've had to pretty much be careful of what's in my CD player when they're around, because they are the kind of kids that are always ranting about how they think all modern-day bands suck. They're all into stuff like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, and Slayer sort of stuff, so when they see me listening to Story of the Year or Linkin Park, they crowd around and go on and on about how LP doesn't even have solos, or how SOTY just plain sucks. And to let you know, I listen to some of the stuff they listen to, but I don't do it just because it's cool, I do it because I actually like it. Like Link04, I'm not much of a mainstream listener because I like to "assert my individuality", but I still think it's stupid that Underground listeners just say "They suck!" right when you even mention a band that only has so much as merchendise at Hot Topic (Hot Topic sales have actually gone down because of the same problem we're all writing about). My point is, it's not the band's fault, it's all the screaming girls/guys saying they're so hot, and the media just playing too much of them.

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

once, i walked into hot topic, and they were playing the song nelly did with that chick from destiny's child. after i left in a blinding rage, i walked by later and heard them playing 311- amber.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Well my favorite band is Linkin park and no one ever takes them seriously,I remember once on MTV 2 around march they actualy had a Text,drugs and rock n' roll special edition where you discussed how 'uncool' Linkin Park are,people were writing in with all sorts of bullshit and it made me very damn angry aswell.

Here in London its kinda rare to find a Linkin Park fan around (a proper fan,not a here-there listener),in London people just act like idiots and think that just because the street they're hanging around on has loads of graffitti and a history of crime etc. that they're livin' in the ghetto so no music other than Hip-Hop can be allowed to be listened to.Its all about peer pressure really in my opinion,I reckon if you sat down with one of these anti-rock people and played a whole load of Linkin Park/Limp Bizkit/Green Day/Metallica/Blink 182/Offspring etc. they'd actualy learn to like it or maybe they do like it but just don't wanna say because they wanna blend in with their peers,its annoying even to think about it!

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

That's not just London, it's the whole of the UK :lol:

Except Afflecs palace *Orgasms*

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

That's not just London, it's the whole of the UK :lol:

Except Afflecs palace *Orgasms* [/b][/quote]
    :lol:

Alacrity

Alacrity don't stop talking to me; i haven't been listening LPA Super Member

I tend to kinda try to stray away from really mainstream bands- just because when I know they're mainstream I know there are going to be teenies that I will hate.

Take Taking Back Sunday for instance. They went mainstream and now every stereotypical 12 year old girl that likes "rock" (because they don't know enough about the music to say they even like screamo or emo) likes Taking Back Sunday ONLY for "Cute Without the 'E'" and Adam's mic swings. I don't even WANT to go to a TBS show now just because they piss me off.

So I like lesser known bands like Norma Jean and more local bands cause the fans are a little more chill and I can tolerate their shows.

This isn't saying I don't like Taking Back Sunday or Linkin Park or other mainstream bands.. I just sometimes can't tolerate the things that their (well earned) fame brings with it. If I like the music I like the music, but it kinda takes away from my respect a little, somehow. It's hard to explain for me.

I really think that if a band is mainstream, you shouldn't write them off, though. They might be pretty good and just because of that you shouldn't hate them for it. And don't hate others that like them because they happen to enjoy a popular band. Eh. Ignorance kills.

Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Banned

you stole that from Kirk Hammet :p

Metallica went mainstream when they released One and they haven't dissapointed me since then, they keep making great albums (even St Anger ;)) Fans tend to dispise The loads & STA cuz they went mainstream witha different sound and IMO they were just evolving. You can't keep doing to the same thing for 20 years

;)

Lpfan668

Lpfan668 Well-Known Member

Excaly!! I think the fans don't like it when they change. Kind of like when Pantera broke up and then DamgePlan was formed. So many Pantera fans were mad that they changed. But not all change is bad.

Example: Metallica - St.Anger

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

And what was the change there, from great music to absolute shite. :p