Earthquake hits Asia

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Chris, Dec 26, 2004.

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

I live in India and My friend lost his Mother.They had been to The Andaman islands for a vacation and it turned out to be a nightmare.I strange the the Indian government came to know about the news only when the officials saw it on TV.This is what has angered me.With a government like this no wonder India is in the dumps.

I also heard that one of the Sri Lankan cricketers have lost a relative.

peripeteia

peripeteia Ambient

i remember a few years ago my history teacher went to india as well to do some charity work as well, but guess what? even though the goverment gave them the okay to built a school at a village, they still couldnt carry out the construction because the villager chief said NO.

strange, isnt it. the goverment said okay but the villager chief said no. :mellow:

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Death toll update:

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

The American media's coverage of this disgusts me. I was watching the local news, and they made a point that a dozen Americans have been confirmed dead and they act as if the 122988 civilians who died are no big deal.

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

So is ours though. 10 (or more) people are dead, but we also care about the people there.

A good 9.7 million Euro's has been collected by the dutch people. On Tuesday we collected 2.3 million.

DruSilla

DruSilla Member

Sadly that's similar to what's happening here in germany....
    most of the time the news deals with the german victims (which is horrible and sad!!!) but they seem to forget the other victims...
    or they only speake about german ppl being brought home and getting out of those countries...but they forget the millions of people who don't have a home anymore, who just can't leave, who have to live there.....that's just disgusting!
    not every tv station is acting like that, but a lot are!

Leeuwnie

Leeuwnie Well-Known Member

This is so horrible! A family from where I live (Nijverdal) is on tv. They've lost their mother. I really hope they find her back but the chance is very small. Their son is coming from Nijverdal to Thailand to search for his mother. The death toll is now 120.000... This may be the worst disaster in history :mellow:

A uncle of my friend lives on the maldives, I'm so happy for her that he didn't get hurt!

Burningsoul

Burningsoul Well-Known Member

its 125000 now. Here in england they are talking about the english and the rest of the people affected. But it disgusts me that we can spend billions on a war but only give 15million to such a needy cause.
    Also in my opinion they should force every movie star, sports star etc to give a little donation, it wouldnt harm them.

EngiShinnizle

EngiShinnizle Active Member

where is ur indonesian friend live in???
    If he/she live in outer of Aceh, south sumatra, weh island, n nias island...I think she/he is okay....
    I also indonesian....

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Hmm, this could end up as the worst natural disaster ever.

Leeuwnie

Leeuwnie Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking...

This is really so terrible, I still can't believe it. I'm not going to buy fireworks. My mom and I are giving our money to Asia instead

Arhaz

Arhaz ...waiting. LPA Super Member

120,000 and counting....

i can't be happier to be alive....

i'm a survivor!!!

Holiday

Holiday Married and on a life-long adventure! LPA Super VIP

the death toll is around 125,000

4mill are homeless, many w/o food or water

just as many ppl are expected to die from disease outbreaks of dissentary(sp) and other things

this is the second worst natural dissaster. in China a while ago there were huge typhoons and upwards of 250,000 died

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

This is the most awful thing I have ever been alive to hear about. Upwards of 135,000 are now dead. They say around a hundred thousand more are still unaccounted for.

I agree, Todd. It's like, "125,000 cilivians killed in Asian Tsunami, including 11 Americans." They're just treated as statistics. So the next hour of coverage includes 58 minutes talking with a gas station attendant who once pumped gas for a nice lady from Wyoming, while the last 2 minutes arre just the mentioning of numbers and percentages. It's sickening.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Around 25,000 more deaths and it will be the 1st greatest natural disaster.

The english coverage is bad but it is good they are listing all the people who live in England who were there as safe.For those of you who have heard of him,David Attenborough (lots of animal and planet documentaries) has lost his daughter to the disaster.I do hope this all ends soon,its so sad to think of all the children who will grow up without their parents or parents not having their loved ones around anymore,these familys having to go to a centre to identify which body is their reletive.I'm actualy gonna donate some money for this,its so sad andsuch a waste of life

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

on Yahoo it says it's near 150,000 now :(

Holiday

DYN: that this tsunami made one of these islands(im sry i cant remember which one) move over a whole 100 feet????

isnt that insane?

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

It completely "vaporized" other islands, apparently. They no longer exist over the surface.

It also caused the Earth to wobble on it's axis and displace a fraction of a millimeter.

Holiday

It completely "vaporized" other islands, apparently. They no longer exist over the surface.

It also caused the Earth to wobble on it's axis and displace a fraction of a millimeter. [/b][/quote]
    wow. crazy stuff. the earth is amazing in its power.

peripeteia

peripeteia Ambient

wow. crazy stuff. the earth is amazing in its power. [/b][/quote]
    yeah. mother nature is really really mad.

just a random thought, with all these islands 'vaporized', do scientists or geologists now have to redraw the world map?