Hoobastank Move in the Same Direction

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Hybrid_Bunny, Jun 25, 2004.

Hybrid_Bunny

Hybrid_Bunny Super Member LPA Super Member

From MTV.com:

There's a reason Hoobastank's next video seems a lot like their last one: The band is going in the same direction for the follow-up, so much so that the new clip will act as both a prequel and a sequel.

Thanks to nonlinear storytelling, "Same Direction" will make "The Reason" seem as though it should be sandwiched inside the tale told in the new video, which establishes what happened before "The Reason" and reveals what happens afterward, with just as many twists as its predecessor.

In "The Reason," the bandmembers stage a diversion so they can carry out the elaborate theft of a ruby gem from a pawnshop, but those facts are only clear after enough of the action unfolds, because nothing is as it seems — a girl gets hit by a car and then turns out to be an accessory to the crime, for instance. That same logic rules "Same Direction," where the roles some people seemed to take in the heist — especially that of singer Doug Robb — turn themselves inside out.

Though director Brett Simon's treatment for "Same Direction" puts a greater emphasis on Hoobastank's performance, it also has much of the same look and feel as "The Reason," and it starts where the first clip ended. Three thugs, led by the pawnshop owner, sprint up the staircase of the seedy hotel Hoobastank are hiding out in, stopping in front of their door, which the thugs smash in. "A bright red light floods the hallway, blowing out the faces of the thugs," the treatment reads.

From there, the video becomes a series of flashbacks that explain what led up to "The Reason." The next scene finds the band practicing, and in place of Robb, Hoobastank have a heavy-metal rocker type singing for them, standing at the mic and headbanging while the bandmembers make gestures indicating that this singer isn't going to work out.

The video will then cut to Robb in a police interrogation room, causing the viewer to assume he's been caught, until a shot of the pawnshop owner — in cheap slacks and a shoulder holster — reveals that he's actually a detective. The detective gives Robb a flier advertising for a local band needing a new singer. Robb tries out for the band and gets the job.

Little does the group know Robb's undercover, and in this dual capacity, he manages to pass a series of tests — fleeing cops in hot pursuit, picking the pocket of a police officer, etc. — that the bandmembers don't realize have been staged for their benefit. All of this helps Robb get in the band's good graces, because as it turns out, this band is really a crew wanted for a series of previous heists, and the cops are onto the group's plans for the pawnshop job. Like Keanu Reeves' undercover FBI agent in "Point Break," Robb has to infiltrate the gang in order to stop the crime spree.

Once this all is revealed, it becomes clear that the "thugs" and "pawnshop owner" smashing into the band's hideaway aren't thugs at all. The video jumps back into the present, and what happens once the police break down the door should remain a surprise — for now. It may even lead to the next video if the band decides to continue this storyline as hinted at in the clip's treatment.

Then again, maybe not. It could all end up differently if Hoobastank choose to use a second video that's being shot for "Same Direction," conceived by a fan who wrote it as part of a MasterCard contest, because as the song itself says, there's no right or wrong way to do anything.

"It's kind of about ... well, it's exactly about my distaste of everybody who thinks their way is the right way, and there's no open-mindedness at all," Robb said. "I don't know if mine's the right way, either, but at least I'm not telling anybody it is. ... So we're going to shoot two videos for the one song and pick the one that we like the most."

Mr. Benzedrine

Mr. Benzedrine Rock the 40 Oz

That is such a good idea, Has that ever been done before?

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

The video sounds like it's going to be awesome.

Although I knew that "Same Direction" was going to be their third single for a while now, I'm really looking forward to seeing this video.

emmmers

emmmers Super Member LPA Super Member

Wow, that video description sounded very dramatic.

Omar A

Omar A Beyond Science LPA Super Member

I'm not gonna read the video treatment. I can't wait for this video though

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

The video sounds great! I hope they go with this one!

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Cool! Can't wait to see the video. :)

RockdOutChic116

RockdOutChic116 Well-Known Member

It sounds great. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

PauletteEMLPGC

PauletteEMLPGC Super Member LPA Super Member

I can't wait to see this video. It sounds like it will be great.

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

The idea of continuing a storyline in a video?

If so, then yes. Daft Punk did it with their videos from that one album. I forgot what it was, though, but it was done in anime.

enfestid

enfestid Guest

Sounds cool :)

I think everyone who heard "The Reason" (the album) before the single for "The Reason" came out knew it was going to tear up the charts... I'm glad they did.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

If so, then yes. Daft Punk did it with their videos from that one album. I forgot what it was, though, but it was done in anime. [/b][/quote]
    Those videos had a storyline? I thought it was just dancing o_O oh well.

Anyway, Sounds like a kickass video, i hope they go with their idea.

Amy

Amy LPA VIP LPA Über VIP

That video will be too cool.

Omar A

Omar A Beyond Science LPA Super Member

If so, then yes. Daft Punk did it with their videos from that one album. I forgot what it was, though, but it was done in anime. [/b][/quote]
    And Treble Charger

DTF

DTF Well-Known Member

Well thought out video

Scarlet

Scarlet Well-Known Member

I'm so happy that Same Direction is Hoobastanks next single. That's one of my favorite songs by them.
    Well, I'm sure the videos going to be great... I don't really feel like reading that whole article. :innocent:

Hybrid_Bunny

Hybrid_Bunny Super Member LPA Super Member

From MTV.com:

Hoobastank have a choice to make with their next single — not which song to pick, but which video.

The group has made two clips for "Same Direction," the follow-up to "The Reason." The first is a sequel to that song's clip, and in the second video, Hoobastank's fictional former fifth member, "Ted," runs the show.

Ted, according to a treatment conceived by a fan who wrote it as part of a contest, was once the band's triangle player, let go in the fifth grade for artistic differences. Ted, now 25, is still obsessed with Hoobastank, and he builds shoebox dioramas in his garage to role-play that he is still part of the band. Ted's hand shots are captured with high-speed cameras to give his creations a frenetic feel.

Hoobastank perform and party in life-size versions of Ted's dioramas, where giant pipe cleaners, popsicle sticks, dry pasta, cotton balls, sugar cubes and other oversized art supplies form the band's rehearsal spaces, motel rooms, concert stages and parties. The video moves between the tableaus of the actual shoebox dioramas populated by action figures to their life-size counterparts, showing the contrast between Ted's present-day garage — which is gritty and shot with a flat, unsaturated color palette — and his diorama fantasies, which are lush and vibrant with color, with a "candy-coated slickness and the high-glam styling of a hip-hop video," according to the treatment.

Though the band parts seem real, cracks in the illusion keep that world from really coming to life. Microphones are revealed to be made out of trimmed cotton swabs with the cotton dyed black and the shaft wrapped in tin foil. Framed pictures in motel rooms are postage stamps; spotlights are Christmas lights.

Through these dioramas, Ted lives out a fantasy in which he never left the band and in fact became its most revered member, nibbled by models in limos and hot tubs (made of popsicle sticks with blue hair gel for water). Ted's older sister — played by Joan Jett — is concerned that his imagination is taking over his life, but there's not much she can do.

Strangely enough, the bandmembers — or echoes of them — are in the garage as well, watching Ted play with their miniature selves. Ted senses them, turns around, but there's no one there. But in one of the dioramas, the video for "The Reason" is playing on a makeshift TV set, and as the final scene plays, the stolen ruby's red light somehow has transformative powers to bring the real-life Hoobastank into Ted's garage and transport everyone back to 1987, when he was really in the band.

Overjoyed, Ted grabs his triangle and strikes the last note of the song. The band hugs, looks up, and then sees a giant Ted looking down on them, smiling.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

The fan-created video sounds stupid to me :mellow:

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

And KoRn did it in the video's for "Freak on a leash" and "Falling away from me"