GCSE Options

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Debus, Mar 10, 2004.

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

We got all our information about our GCSE options today and i am already stressed out about them. I really do not know what to do.
    I have in my mind 4 subjects that i am interested in but i can only choose 3. These three subjects are :

History : I really enjoy this subject and the course over the next two years sounds really interesting

Music : I am good at music in the sense that i can play the guitar and keyboard. Only problem is that in the course we have to compose and write our own music which is one thing i cannot do.

GNVQ ICT : For this one i could get 4 GCSE's. This course inculdes web design and new skills in computing that i am very eager to learn

Business Studies : My mate explained this subject to me today and i read the information on it and it sounds very intersting.

My dilemma here is that i don't know which one of these subjects to drop. I really want to do Business Studies and GNVQ ICT so that leaves Music and History. I don't know which one to drop though because both i equaly enjoy. My prefered job when i get older is a computer engineer or anything to do with computers.

Does anyone have any tips on what i should do because i am already stressed out about it all and our option forms have to be in on the 22nd. I would really appreciate the help and advice.

(I hope this is alright to go in here)

Jamie

Jamie Super Member LPA Super Member

If only I could have done that man! That would be ace.

I ended up taking..History, Art and BCS (Business Studies for the PC hehe)

[Fool]

[Fool] Banned

i gotta choose to lol and your right its very stressy (is dat da right word?) i got 2 of my options its jst the 3rd one i cant decide on lol ill help ya mate :teehee: just cuz i can

[Fool]

ass_kicker

ass_kicker Banned

well, you already know what id do. or maybe you should go for music because its easy. i dunno.

Nikki

Nikki I have no idea what is going on LPA Super Member

You're right about the 4 GCSE's, however I took GNVQ at high-school level and it contained none of those things. So unless the syllabus has changed, you've been duped =\

paulmca2001

paulmca2001 Active Member

Business studies and ICT GNVQ are really similar, all except you get more qualifications out of a GNVQ. I took ICT GNVQ and got a merit last year, and i had mates doing business and most of the coursework is almost identical. I really enjoyed the course but could have got a better grade if i was actually there most of the time... :whistle:

If i were you i would do History, ICT and Music, but it's your choice in the end B) .

On my course we did web design etc. I started the AVCE couse at college and fount it crap and boring so i quit.

Debus

Hmmmm. Thanks guys. I'll probably put Business Studies as my reserve option but i still got just over a week to think on it ^_^

I assume these are in addition to English, Maths, a science and a modern language?

Debus

I assume these are in addition to English, Maths, a science and a modern language? [/b][/quote]
    Yeah but not a langauge. I can choose to not do a language

paulmca2001

you're lucky. we had to do french and we could choose to do spanish aswell as that but we couldn't choose not to do french :( . but we didn't have to do a humanities subject or R.E so thats ok :) .

Suffice

Suffice Well-Known Member

You younger lot are SO lucky, im in year 10 and we only got to choose 3, we HAD to do a language and you lot get the option! LUCCKY. Ive taken music. It really helps if you can read music, but if you cant its ok. But composing is a major factor of the music gcse as well as theory - learning about different periods of music. You have to be able ot play your instrument well to a certain degree. If that helps lol..

BloodOnTheDashboard

BloodOnTheDashboard Well-Known Member

i am doing mine in may! we got our timetables the other day which tells us exactly what time each one starts and finishes and i was like :unsure:
    some people have already started revising and i am FREAKING out....*must start studying today*.... :mellow:
    don't worry ginja it will be okay.... :mellow:

Jamie

Jamie Super Member LPA Super Member

I wont get my timetable until the final assembly before the GCSE's..thats goin on past year groups telling me..

I aint started revising yet :mellow: better start soon though..

Nikki

Nikki I have no idea what is going on LPA Super Member

Yes it's best to start revising now.

One of the main problems I had in the exams was time. Especially in the English exams. You have to plan out your time really well - it's best if you ask your teacher for some practise papers or something, they'll help you a lot.

And yeah I took GNVQ ICT, French, English, Maths, Science (Double), Graphic Products and R.E. Short Course and I managed to get good grades, so you can message me if you have any problems =\

paulmca2001

:unsure: english was the worst. i didn't read the material, and couldn't write an essay. i still managed to get a C but god knows how. i didn't even give in the coursework on most of it. i guess i was just lucky in the exam ^_^ .

The easiest is GNVQ ICT. the exams were so easy (Got distinction in all units) and the coursework was easy too but i missed a lot of the last year, and when i was in the lessons i was too busy f**king about so i only ended up with a pass on most of it. It all rounded nicely too a merit though! :D

I got decent grades on most of my GCSE's, 2B's(Merit GNVQ), 5C's, 1D & 2E's, But at the moment i am not at college and i don't have a job, so i suppose you could call me a bum :lol: .