Chester Bennington Support Thread - We're here for you

Discussion in 'Chester Bennington' started by Kevin, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

So with the dreaded day coming next week, how is everyone doing? Stunned it's already been a year almost already. I feel like the period from then till now has been an absolute blur.

2. Ksandory

Ksandory Well-Known Member

I was in a really bad mood last week 05.07. -06.07. saw all the pictures and videos from Birmingham the last one... hits me really hard.
    I wouldn´t have thought that, but now Im feeling okay/normal again.

On 20. July I need to work and that's probably not bad being busy there,
    on 21. July I attend to go to the LPMemorial in my city with people I´ve never meet before. Im kinda nervous but happy and curious about that!
    We´re going to hear music of course, do grill/picnic having a good time in honour of Chester.

What your going to do on these days?

Foreshadowed_LP likes this.
  3. Derek

Unsure. LPA will probably do some type of live stream, as we did last year the day it happened...but there's no LP memorials very close to me so who knows. Might see if some of my local LP friends wanna get together.

And yeah, Birmingham was a hard one. Band was on the top of the world, and had no idea in 14 days they'd lose their best friend. Despite what people say, I don't think even Chester himself knew yet at that point.

Foreshadowed_LP likes this.
  4. Foreshadowed_LP

Foreshadowed_LP Well-Known Member

I'm okay, although it's still hard knowing that next week will be a year since we lost the great man that is Chester. I still remember how I was still buzzing a couple of weeks later from going to Birmingham, seeing Linkin Park live for a 3rd time, spending the day with my sister, who got to see them live for the first time, meeting the band and getting to hug Chester and tell him "you are a legend", driving back and sharing my thoughts on LPA; looking over the autographs, merchandise and video recordings on my phone the next day and beaming with excitement, receiving the photos of the meet and greet and then it all came crashing down a couple of days after receiving the final set of photos from the LPU.

July has been an awful month, I then lost someone else close to me 9 days after Chester passed away so I had that to deal with that also and will be another day (July 29th) to remember this month. This past Saturday one of my work colleagues and someone I consider a good friend, lost his Dad unexpectedly. So yeah, it hasn't been the greatest month to reminisce on.

I know it's surreal knowing I was there in person at Chester's last show, that I met Chester at his final meet and greet and people have reminded me of that and it'll always be a really special moment to me and is something I still can't believe... that I truly experienced meeting my heroes! However, I'd give anything to have Chester back and that is something I think about more over the epic moments I experienced at the Birmingham show. At some point I'll start to remember that amazing day and think of it fondly but at the moment, Chester's death still overshadows that. However, as I said, I am doing fine but as you said Derek, I can't believe how the year has flown by so quickly!

As for this month, I've been playing Linkin Park non-stop, gone through One More Light twice and currently listening to One More Light Live. I've also put up 6 framed photos from the Birmingham meet and greet in my bedroom, which look great. I feel that is perfect timing with the month we're in. As for what I'm doing on July 20th, I have no idea but I'm sure I'll be blasting LP in honour of Chester.

Love to the LPA, LPU and the LP Family.

Nicholas likes this.
  5. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Hard to believe it's almost been a year.

When I think about it in any sort of great detail, it still affects me. I think it will for the rest of my life, honestly. It's easy for me to listen to their music and put myself in a positive mindset because that's what their music brought to me for 17 years: positive thoughts, comfort, and strength. It's when I think of Chester specifically that I face this crossroad of, "Am I going to think about him and be happy and thank him for contributing to who I am today?" or "I feel fucking sick that in one solitary moment of weakness nobody was there to catch you when you fell." It's usually easy to control which mindset I go towards, but there are times when I still let myself become remorseful for whatever reason. It's therapeutic sometimes, I suppose.

I almost always skip "Over Again" off of Mike's new album though. That song really hits hard because it triggers the really heavy and unpleasant feelings I had the day and few days after he passed. It really brings me right back there to that moment, and it's not exactly enjoyable.

Overall and in general I'm fine. Listening to their music really isn't a problem. Mike really has been a saving grace through all this. The tribute concert, the new album, knowing that he's still going to put his heart into the craft - these things have helped tremendously. But I'll never let myself forget what a huge impact Chester had on my life.

Dena-Jo, Foreshadowed_LP and Nicholas like this.
  6. Derek

Ben, I've experienced that same conflict since last year. I found myself being able to listen to (and enjoy) Linkin Park music again fairly early on, but thinking of Chester directly has at times been incredibly tough. It's the realization that he's not around at all anymore that kicks me in the gut and randomly triggers the waves of grief that come with something so sudden like this. It hurts to know I'll never hear his laugh, see his silly antics or hear his talented voice again. He was such a positive force and energy in people's lives, and I wish everyday this horrible reality didn't have to be true.

Next week will be hard. I can't imagine how Mike and the boys are feeling right now.

Dena-Jo, Foreshadowed_LP and Nicholas like this.
  7. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

I can put on my headphones and the same voice that's comforted me through all these years is still there, but now there's a different weight to it. I remember the exact sinking feeling I had when I first read that he had passed, I'll never forget it. It was a traumatic experience and his loss is something that will always weigh on me. Linkin Park is the only music artist/band that I have a personal attachment to outside of their music, losing Chester felt no different than losing someone close. I had lost my brother less than a year before Chester (Who was responsible for getting me into the band), and maybe this sounds weird to say, but after Chester passed it felt like a chapter of my life had closed. You never truly "get over" a death, what they leave behind can't be replaced and there's always reminders. Chester left an impact on this world that I'm ever grateful for, but it's heartbreaking that there was no other answer. Yet, I do understand it, and I know he's at peace now.

I owe so much to him and I never got to thank him for it. Those close to him, especially Mike and Talinda have been incredible in the way they've handled this and bringing awareness to mental health. I've never been more proud to be a fan/part of a community of something than this past year with Linkin Park. I've said it before, but between them and the fans I think we've all been able to come to terms with his passing in ways we wouldn't have been able to otherwise alone. All of this is easier to say as someone who didn't know him, but I feel gutted for his family and I wish them all the love and support to make the rest of this month go by as easy as possible.

8. zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

One thing I wish I was very good at, was to describe my feelings of gratitude properly.
    Whenever I feel the need to talk about Chester, I simply cannot put it in words.Such a beautiful human being that was gone way too soon.
    I wish one day I could listen to his music without feeling like I was punched in the gut.

Nicholas and Foreshadowed_LP like this.
  9. Jamtia

Jamtia Member

So I have been doing pretty good up until late.

From the one year anniversary, to Mike Shinoda's concert, things were going smooth. Of course everyday I miss Chester, but recently I think it overwhelmed me again.

I think it all started to hit me hard again during the Super Bowl. Watching it made me realize LP, or at least Chester, will never perform live. The casual listeners will never get to know Chester, casuals meaning those who don't listen to the band or don't know Chester. Most people know Chester now obviously, but you'd be surprised of how many still don't.

Then it carried on through the week. Last night I discovered the Morton track. I listened to it and really couldn't feel anything but frozen in my body. It was too surreal to listen to him again. It is a gift. Thank you Morton.

But now, I just feel like we are in an alternate timeline than we really should be. You know like Back to the Future part 2 or even Dragonball Z with its alternate timelines, I feel like we are in a timeline where we don't belong, this nightmare. The bad thing is that there is no time machine or do overs here. We are stuck in this timeline forever.

I try to think of the positives, of Chester not having to suffer. But that's about it. I just think of his family, fans, the band. How they go through. There is so much pain I feel, but I bet it's only a fraction of what others have gone through.

I think what hurts is thinking of what Chester had to give still musically. I always loved the evolution of the band, wondering where they would go next. Now the Morton track and the remarks of Chester loved getting back into metal made me think of this was a possible thing to come with the band's next sound. Now we will never know, unless the band tells us one day if they had any plans drawn up before Chester's passing.

I think of how young Chester was. 41. That is very young and so much more to live for. I feel so selfish for wanting more music and life out of Chester. When he has already given everyone so much. He didn't need to give us anything anymore. I guess I've just felt too dependent on his music and his journey. Yes his music is still and will always be part of my life. But I guess it's just too hard for me to accept that this is it. Maybe LP will release a new album with unreleased tracks, but idk if it will be the same.

I even had to cry it out, and even as I type this, I guess I want to cry to. It's ok to cry. What is scary though is that life around me still seems to be moving on, and here I am stuck, lost in the echo. I feel so bad about myself for wanting more music, wanting him to finish off stronger than what we got with OML. I like OML a lot, but I wanted more. I wanted a different sound. I guess I wanted something from what we got from the Morton track. I wanted people to shut up and for LP to prove that they still had that sound. But I shouldn't rationalize that the Morton track was for what was to come. LP may have polished their sound like how they went from their fourth and fifth albums.

Meeting Shinoda a few months ago, felt like some of the closure I needed. To celebrate with fans. But now I just feel like I need more support. Religion aside, I wish Chester could tell me that he is alright where he is now and not to worry. That everything will be alright and we will see him again eventually.

I'm sorry to all that my thoughts are sort of all over the place, but that's how it is as I type this. Even after typing how I wanted more music from Chester, I realize we got all that we really need. There is a lot of material out there, and maybe a lot more to come depending how much they recorded. The most important thing was that I want Chester to be happy. I wish he could have stayed happy here. All that pain he had, I can't even fathom. When he passed, all of the pain he had was bursted into waves all around the world. Now I feel like we carry some of his pain during grieving in some shapes or forms.

My worry is that I will never to fully get over this where it's just tearing me apart. Eventually I got over the passing of my other favorite artist Michael Jackson as time went on. Maybe that's what it will take. Someone I talked to today said they still feel the pain they got from when Cobain passed. I expect that will be the same here.

Especially now that Shinoda is wrapping the Post Traumatic era, I feel like I need something to cling on to. I will always have LP and its fans to support me. I do know that. I think right now this is a phase of getting stuck in the past, and wanting to go back there. I am not sure why it hit me this hard, maybe it was under me all this time.

So that's that for now. Thanks for letting me post. Again sorry I feel like I am all over the place.

10. Jasmine

Jasmine Member

So...
    honestly I will never get over Chester's passing... it hurts sometimes to think that I'll always have been to young to really understand when he died and how I just dealt with it by listening to their music. today it's different. I almost can't listen to some songs without crying sometimes or listening to the lyrics to just notice the pain in his voice and how music was his way out. I was younger then but I wish I could have really seen him in person, because if I had maybe he could've been not only an idol, but really, a friend. because all of my irl "friends" leave me alone all the time and don't give a crap so instead who do I have? Chester. Linkin Park. THAT is all I have and it sucks to know he's not even here today because maybe it would feel a bit better...

this probably sounds stupid and I'm sorry I just kinda needed to say this :)

i'll never forget him, as long as I live I could never forget. :chesterscandle:

11. Jasmine

Jasmine Member

Hey...

Look I'm not one of the VIP's or anything but we all feel you. we're all here even if sometimes it feels like you could be alone with this.
    I mean... it's hard, I know it is. I wish I could have seen Chester at his best and sometimes selfishly wish we could have more music just so we could hear his voice all over again. I wish he was still alive, but obviously the amount of pain he must have carried got too much.

You don't have to apologise for speaking up, trust me there's thousands of other people on here who probably feel exactly the same and are nodding their heads with tears streaming down their cheeks (like me). It's normal to feel this way, I mean, hell we all feel like this sometimes but overtime it will pass. at one point you will get that closure and will be able to keep moving forward, but for now, it's going to hurt and it's going to kill you on the inside but if you keep speaking up and allowing yourself to vent it all out you will get there. it just takes time.

I hope this helps :)

Jasmine <3

Kevin likes this.
  12. sam1232

sam1232 Member

we will always love chester. he is in our hearts

AndreyKamensky and Dena-Jo like this.
  13. Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Hello everyone, just wanted to stop by and say that Chester's passing is as impactful now as it was over three years ago. I think about him so much, and imagine what could have been if he were still with us. Although I never had the chance to meet him, he almost single-handedly (along with Mike) introduced me to a world of possibilities, when it came to music. I will always be grateful for that, always...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  14. AndreyKamensky

AndreyKamensky hakuna matata

What a beautiful comment man. I feel ya. To me it too feels as relevent today as the day it happened. The world without him in it is weird honestly. I feel like he was such a bright shining light in this world that without him it'll never be the same.
    I am still in a weird way kinda hoping for a new Linkin Park album with him in it, as if nothing happened. I wonder what direction their next album would have taken us.
    Hope the band gets back together one day. I feel like we'll be there when that happens. ❤️

15. Dorothy Perks

Dorothy Perks Well-Known Member

Well said my friend, yes I very much agree with your comment. :worship:

AndreyKamensky likes this.
  16. Trish

Trish Y2K LPA VIP

Look im not sure where i am supposed to post this, but i have been a member of this forum since 2003 and it has always been a source of joy for me. Chester being gone has been so hard on me, like all of you. I miss Chester alot every day.

Captain-EO likes this.
  17. Migueltorres

Migueltorres Well-Known Member

Some days it still hits hard, yesterday evening POA live Milton Keynes popped up in my recommended videos on YT and when i was watching it at a certain point I felt so sad like "I'll never see them perform this song like this again" and felt super sad.

18. KYLE!

KYLE! If i'm not back in 5 minutes ... Just wait longer.

Last night I watched Bad Wolves, Hollywood Undead and Papa Roach Live. Before the Papa Roach set, “In The End” started to play over the speakers. The Crowd erupted and everyone was singing. If you didn't know any better, you would think the crowd was at an LP concert. But while everyone else was excited to sing along, I thought about Chester and how much I still miss him. Its been over 24 hours since that moment and Im still depressed about it…..

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022