Linkin Park Unveil New Puzzle For Hybrid Theory Anniversary - Help Us Solve It

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, Aug 7, 2020.

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

On to the day 6 of updates. This was the smallest update so far, but that doesn't matter:
    1. Another theme was added, this one is named "Inverted" and features a inverted band image from the Hybrid Theory photoshoot
    2. Two new emails are available, one from Joe, reading:
    3. The other email is from Mike with this gif: [​IMG]

Going on day 5 of straight updates.
    1. A new "Dark" theme was added
    2. If you go to "Start>System Properties>File System" you can now click on "Force Automatic Updates", this will then enable you to install new software.
    3. Under "Start>Programs>Software Installer" if you run it a piece of software called "PictBoard (Hidden File)" will be listed and when clicking next adds a folder to the desktop called "In Yourself Jam".
    4. This folder contains a file called "Demo_Pic_Board.mp3". The file is corrupted and can't be opened
    Another day, another update. Not as massive an update as yesterday, but still some interesting things:
    1. Two new emails are now available in the "MailNet Client", one from Brad and one from Phoenix
    2. In Brads email, we get a look at another four tracks, "completing the collection"
      1. 09_Carousel_4424_22_20.wav
      2. 10_Points_Of_Authority_4424_20.wav
      3. 11 Crawling demo.m4a
      4. 12 Super Xero.m4a
    3. In the email from Phoenix we get four old show flyers from the bands early days
    4. Another new theme has been added, this one is named "Cool"

For the third day in a row the site has been updated with new content, this time making available some cool media:
    1. If you defragment the C drive (Start > Programs > Defragger) a quick string of letters will appear, this is the password for the Passwords (Start > Settings > Passwords) tab. The password is "4P7LYE"
    2. When unlocked, two new tabs will appear in the Documents menu (Start > Documents), "For Review" and "Image Approvals"
    3. Under "For Review", four new tracks are listed:
      1. 01_Dialate 4424_APR20.wav
      2. 02_PB_Edit_2020_4424_20.wav
      3. 03_She_Couldn't_4424_20.wav
      4. 04_Could_Have_Been_4424_20.wav
    4. Under "Image Approvals" there are also four images from the Hybrid Theory photoshoot
    5. Two new emails have appeared in the "MailNet Client", one from Joe and one from Brad
    6. A new theme has been added to the themes selector, this time "Neon"
    The site has been updated with new content, as of right now these are the updates:
    1. "Essul" has been corrected to "Esaul"
    2. There are now three emails in the email application, from Mike, Rob and Phoenix
    3. A new "Light" theme was added, now making it three available; Light, Warm and Basic

*Original Post*
    Leading up to the Hybrid Theory 20 year anniversary, Linkin Park has just updated their website to be an ARG of their old band computer. We can explore it to find hidden treasures and easter eggs. One particularly interesting thing is the Admin Unlock part, requiring a password, sure to hide something really fun and cool.

If you go to the "Start > Settings > Network" section you can connect to a "MShinoda Music Server" showing four tracks:
    1. 05_Reading_My_Eyes_4424_20.wav
    2. 06_Rhinestone_Mix_4424_20.wav
    3. 07_Essul_4424_22_20.wav
    4. 08_Stick_N_Move_demo_4424_20.wav
    Except for Esual, all these tracks could be found on the Xero Casette Tape, the first release the band ever put out. It also shows that there are atleast four other tracks that are missing from the server.

There is also a readme text from Mike Shinoda if you go to "Start > Documents", containing this message:
    So head over to linkinpark.com and help us find more interesting things, and help us solve this puzzle!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Joe likes this.
    mt2oo8

mt2oo8 New Member

Has anyone figured out the email part? When I open the email, it's empty and I also can't select "sent items", "deleted items" etc

OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser New Member

GUYS GUYS SO FEW THINGS I NOTICED:
    20 year old computers - Hybrid Theory turns 20 this October 24th.

The recycle bin - It has the alternate covers for Hybrid Theory

Look at the date (bottom-right) - It is 24th October, 2020 (Hybrid Theory's release)

The wallpaper (DUH!)

But if you do
    Start>Documents>Readme.text

There is a message? Is it a treasure hunt? Is it just for Hybrid Theory? Or are they planning their upcoming new music?

linkinlovprk

linkinlovprk Lpfuse refugee

"Is this carousel?" Even 20 years ago he wasn't sure.

Jacob Wandersee

Jacob Wandersee New Member

It has to start with System Preferences / File System / Determining if this is carousel right? It's under Trouble Shooting and is the only active thing you can really click... I've been poking around trying to get somewhere since it was released with no success of any kind...

Kevin

That links to this:

idiot_with_a_uke

idiot_with_a_uke New Member

Having some trouble figuring this one out. I'll be refreshing for updates.
    I hope we can find the password!

Okay, I found something interesting!
    Start>Settings>System Properties reveals a system and hardware from 2001, while the date on the computer says 10/24/2000
    I have a feeling this may be important, as well as the "Registered to:" part.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2020
    Kevin

That's great, but please don't double-post.

Jadedjcbxnyc6981

Jadedjcbxnyc6981 Active Member

Well this could reference the single for In The End since it was released in 2001 or the LPU beginning in Nov 2001

CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

:shinado:

Had a quick glance at the code... there is no password set, so anything you enter is going to give you an "invalid password". When you enter the correct password, it's supposed to unlock an art folder called "Image Approvals". Maybe come back in 3 days.

idiot_with_a_uke

idiot_with_a_uke New Member

Look at the bottom of sasquatch browser, there might be a chat happening soon at 12:35 PST with the WebMeeting app on the desktop

It is now 12:45 PST and nothing has happened. I'm now doubting what I've said.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Interesting that one of the rejected covers has a Parental Advisory sticker given HT's relatively clean music.

Maybe there were supposed to be uncensored versions of Step Up and High Voltage on the album?

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I just got home from work, so im trykng to catch up. Where are the alternate covers?

Deliveranze

They are in the trash bin. There should be 4 files.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

On June 29th, which has long passed

Kevin

The site has been updated with new content, as of right now these are the updates:
    1. "Essul" has been corrected to "Esaul"
    2. There are now three emails in the email application, from Mike, Rob and Phoenix
    3. A new "Light" theme was added, now making it three available; Light, Warm and Basic

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Deliveranze likes this.
    rudeboimonster

rudeboimonster New Member

Howdy, I don't know if this has already been noticed or means anything, but I've noticed that despite them having an official soundcloud, when you go to the linked soundcloud from the music player, it links to "sastree". I will continue my digging after I finish some cleaning I need to do. Also, BOY HOWDY I need that Solitaire card deck in my actual hands.

Michele likes this.
    Deliveranze

Solitaire has been addicting af.

Ainur likes this.
    Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Never beat it yet. Kinda suck at it lmao.

rudeboimonster

rudeboimonster New Member

A friend has reported that Chrome saved a password for the admin thing but it doesn't work yet - "1st3pcl0s3r".

Edit:

Okay so I might be going too hard on potential theory crafting here, but I'm just throwing the spaghetti at the wall here. First note, this is a different 133t speak version of OSC than on Reanimation, therefor there's a chance that the way it's been modified from "One Step Closer" has some importance. So, we can potentially break it down as:
    1st3pc = the first three of something to do with the pc?
    10s = 10 seconds into one of the videos?
    3r = 3 remaining band members?
    3r can EITHER refer to how Mike, Phoenix, and Joe streamed the whole watch along thing for the 2001 show earlier this year OR at 10 seconds of the And One video linked through "Determining if this is Carousel" shows 3 band members: Brad, Joe, and Chester. Using this train of thought, a friend and I were thinking this could either build some kind of password or somehow hint to something else you can do with this whole thing.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Kevin and Michele like this.