Mark Morton's New Song 'Cross Off' Feat. Chester Bennington Out Now

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, Jan 8, 2019.

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

As previously reported, Lamb of God guitarist Mark Morton's forthcoming solo album, Anesthetic, features a collaboration with the late Chester Bennington titled 'Cross Off'. The album is due for release on March 1.

The collaboration has been highly anticipated by fans since April 2017 as both musicians previously posted on social media teasing new music. Chester posted a number of tweets about the track including the following:

Although the song leaked online on December 18th 2018, it officially aired on Zane Lowe’s Beats 1 radio show today. It is also now available to stream on a number of streaming platforms including Spotify.

Check out the song below:

What are your thoughts on the song? Let us know in our forums!

cradle, chris2, Kevin and 1 other person like this.
    insanefanboy

insanefanboy RIP Chester Bennington

Oh my God this is absolutely incredible! Love the the lyrics, tune, everything!

I don't mean to be rude or insensitive, but it briefly made me forget the terrible news about Chester for a few mins and I just rocked out hard! Then got incredibly sad as I remembered Chester is gone.

"What should've been what never was, became the end for both of us!" Is true, that leapt out to me immediately. I wish Chester was still here. Sorry I shouldn't have said that, we all do.

But in addition to everything else, at least he gave us fans this one last, absolutely incredible amazing gift. If Chester wasn't sadly gone, I'd be saying I'd want THIS to be the direction of the next LP album and everything. I'm sure that would've caused quite the debate, but still thanks Mark Morton for making this incredibly catchy song, until this was announced, I'd never heard of him, but because of this, I'm now going to check out his other stuff.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

Wow! I’m amazed. I forgot how well Chester screamed, he was so talented. And I actually agree that I would loved Linkin Park to follow this direction for their next album. But overall, very nice song, especially the bridge was so cool.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Such a phenomenal performance by Chester. The rest of the song feels like generic heavy metal and the lyrics are somewhat bland... but his vocals alone elevate the song to greatness which is a testament to his talent.

I think this is a sign that Chester is a timeless vocalist and the world will forever appreciate his gift to music. John Lennon, Freddy Mercury, and Kurt Cobain were immortalized for their music and it's safe to say Chester will join them too.

Bernuviel likes this.
    Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I got 2002 flashbacks in the best possible way. This was probably one of his better performances in a decade.

Linkin_way

Linkin_way LPA VIP LPA VIP

This song made me feel sad about his farewell...
    Maaaan we gonna missed him in LP soooo F**ing much.
    What a performance to be remembered from Chester !!! One of his best !
    I wish they replace him with someone who has at least 60% of Chester performance.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Gonna be hard as fuck to even get that. One of the things Mike brought up when putting together that tribute show was realizing how many different people it took to do the songs for that one concert, now try to replace the one guy who could do all of them.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

As much as I enjoyed One More Light, Cross Off is what One More Light really should have sounded like.

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Nah, should have had something like Cross Off on The Hunting Party. OML is what it was designed to be, and the album that the band wanted to make.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I understand that OML is an album the band wanted to make and I actually do like OML. I'm just saying an album like Cross Off would have most likely sounded better to me. Then again it could have the opposite effect like THP did to me.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

This usually isn't the type of music I listen to, but it's still pretty good. Chester gave us some fantastic vocals that just further adds to his range of vocal talents he had. He was such a diverse singer, which is proven with his work with LP, DBS, and the other features he's done over his entire career.

(fuck having to use past tense)

Bernuviel likes this.
    Vinifeijo

Vinifeijo i'm dancing with matt damons

Very generic instrumental, but Chester's vocals turn it into an epic.
    Dueling with "Soul Song" as his best studio performance.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Kinda funny that at the same time this song was made, OML was in made/finished too :lol:

Its a great song, i love it. Could've fit on THP.

2xPutt

2xPutt Well-Known Member

My vote goes for Jeff Gutt. 1. He has a nice raspy rock voice (last I remember atleast lol) 2. He has joined STP such as Chester did and 3. Hell, he did so well in Dry Cell that half of their library was labeled as Linkin Park B-Sides on Limewire back in the day, lol.

CannaKippers likes this.
    Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Not my type of music, but I thought this was solid. Hook is strangely catchy which I didn't expect. Definitely sounds like a THP track.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I loved this track. Partly because I missed his voice so much. It felt a bit awkward going through it knowing that he is no longer with us but I was continuely amazed at how his raw voice and screams were intact. Timeless, flawless, he could do whatever he wanted with his voice.

He had his weaknesses yes, maybe he wasn't the most brilliant lyricist, and this very song shows it (the reference to 'broken promises' yet again) but his ability to perform was unquestionable. Linkin Park was(is) a mystery box and I always looked forward to whatever crazy thing they would do next. I didn't expect them to be groundbreaking, but I did expect them to surprise me with a new direction each time. I'm proud of having been a part of this journey since it began.

You did great buddy, thank you for this song and I hope you're happy to see us enjoy it.

Deliveranze, brady, chris2 and 3 others like this.
    Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Only just heard of this, really cool stuff. Man, as great as his range was in terms of bouncing around genres, I think ultimately he was built for Heavy Metal. For ages I'd wanted to hear him do something like this, even just like jamming live with Metallica on one of their older tracks (like Creeping Death or something), stuff LP just wasn't capable of producing, so this is really great to hear. I really like it.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Was just stopping by to link that same video Moridin posted as it popped up on my YT feed.

Mark seems genuinely proud of getting Chester to work on a song with him. It struck me a bit that despite being in a band like LoG he thought of LP as this monstrous super act and getting one of their guys to work with him was farfetched. Sure, you could say that the metal 'market' isn't as big as it used to be from 00s backwards but I always thought of LoG as one of the bigger fish in that pool. He sounded very down to earth and I liked that.

He seems like a humble, cool dude overall so I respect that. I have to admit at first I made an early judgement when I found out he was releasing a song now featuring Chester but I changed my mind shortly and reading and listening to him just reassured me that he's putting it out there out of respect.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Me too! Lamb Of God is one of the biggest names in metal

Andreina likes this.
    Linkin_way

Linkin_way LPA VIP LPA VIP

Jeff Gutt ... Wow ... didn't think of him ... i wish it would be him SOOO bad ... he got that amazing strong vocal, kinda same Chester style ... so why not ?!
    Maaaaaaaan i am crazy now about that idea