CHVRCHES - Love is Dead

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Sasuke, Feb 28, 2018.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

It’s a grower. There’s really only two songs that I’m meh towards

LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

Graffiti is impressive, but I really like Never Say Die (even though it gets a bit repetitive). Deliverance is another good surprise, could be a single like Graffiti, love the vocals, the transition to the chorus is stellar and the slower parts are some of her best ever vocals. I had already liked Get Out, but that one sounds too simple in some parts, even though it's not the worst single.

Forever is quite good too, the drum sounds are great and the synths pop up amazingly in the chorus, should have a bigger chorus to be perfect, but still quite good vocally. Miracle is catchy, but I just don't get that Imagine Dragons vibe so well considering that it starts perfectly on the vocals and continues perfect on the other slow parts, but it has that big sing chorus which is amazing to sing-along to.

My Enemy has grown as well, since I enjoy the duet much more now and could see this song live this July as one of the highlights of the show since The National are on the lineup so Matt Berninger could sing it with Lauren.

Graves is another highlight, it's got that big chorus that is missing on one or two other songs. Great vocals as in any other song led by Lauren. Not the best lyrics, but it's very anthemic like Graffiti, Never Say Die, Get Out, even Forever despite the rather less explosive chorus.

Heaven/Hell doesn't have that memorable vibe, but it has some of the best lyrics and I love the line "We can raise our glasses, dancing on the ashes as it burns". Just lacks that memorability factor the chorus could bring.

The least impressive songs are God's Plan (thankfully the only with Martin's vocals, feels like he's drunk whatsoever, seems very distant the whole song) and Really Gone (not much going on on this track, the sound is flat, repetitve and boring, even though the vocals don't fail it's a bit more oriented towards the lyrics, could be more like Afterglow, but it isn't).

It finishes on a high note after the somewhat gloomy instrumental that makes a good transition to the last moment of the album. The last track starts right where the instrumental left off, which is good, it has some of the best lyrics like Heaven/Hell, even though I can't decide which is better, I enjoy the lines "Can't live forever with my head in the clouds/ Can't predict the weather with my feet underground", but the chorus would be better if it stopped right there. The synths have a good presence as well, but the vocals are better on those two lines than on the rest of the song.

I think overall they balance very well the softer moments with those where things get a bit faster and louder (excelling mostly on the softer parts), rarely failing when they switch between those moments, probabaly only in Miracle they don't that well. I'd give it a 7,5 or 8 at this point. I think Lauren's voice keeps getting better and better every time, but not an album in which every song is great like EOE. The vocals are the standout in the end, but I feel like they've always been when they have a brilliant singer like Lauren.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

:cool:
    EDIT:

Okay, I just listened through the whole thing! Damn near everyone has been relentlessly trashing this album so I thought it'd be really bad, but I actually enjoyed this one more than "Every Open Eye". Can't decide on favourites yet but I think "Graves" was the one that grabbed me the least (aside from "Get Out" which truly pales next to all these other songs)

I'm still not a fan of the cover art.

Sasuke and Modern Guitar God like this.
    Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

It’s pretty good imo. Pleasantly surprised. My favorite songs are Forever, Deliverance, and Heaven/Hell

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    The Free Element

The Free Element Well-Known Member

Ok, the full album surprised me and my highlights are probably Graffiti and Never Say Die... but this is probably their weakest effort so far IMHO. The songs in this album sound all very alike and they lack some identity, but maybe it's just my problem anyway. I enjoyed the album overall and they FINALLY announced an Italian show, can't wait to attend!

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Really big fan of this album. Especially enjoy "My Enemy".

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"Deliverance" is one I'm returning to a lot. There are some perfect moments in that song, to me