New EP Titled 'Post Traumatic' Released from Mike Shinoda, Includes Three New Songs

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jan 25, 2018.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Justin Timberlake's new song says "Sometimes the greatest way to say something is to say nothing at all." Sometimes it is good to sit back and ask if they truly mean what you think they mean.

Anyway, I am really digging this EP. I still feel that Place to Start feels short and I understand why he included the talking at the end but from a musical standpioint, I dont think it fits. Thats probably my only complaint about the entire EP which shows you how talented Mike is!

I think Over Again might be a top 3 Mike written song ever, up there with Where'd You Go and Sorry For Now for me. My favorite part of this song is combining a more singing melodic voice with hip hop elements so perfectly as well as the lyrics. Even though a lot of the lines in the lyrics are specifically with the situation of Chester, I still relate to lyrics and message of the song. As I posted about the song One More Light before, My best friend died back in 2012 and this song really hits home for me. 5 and a half years later and the lyrics "Sometimes you dont say goodbye once, you say goodbye over and over and over again" still are 100% true. Being mutals on Instagram and Facebook with a lot of the people who were affected by the same tragedy I was, you get yearly reminders even if you try not to think about it. Memories come back to you at random times as well. Sometimes people still bring it up in person. The lyrics resonate with me well because you never truly say a final goodbye, you are always saying goodbye over and over again whether you want to or not.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

My 2 cents because I am an opinionated person late to the party:

@The Free Element Your comment, correct me if I'm wrong, very much seemed like you are unimpressed with the level of how personal OML is. Which, imo, is where I agree with Elaine. Ultimately the band wished to express themselves, their stresses in life, and their pain through their music in a way that makes themselves vulnerable and honest, yet gives room for listeners to insert themselves into the songs/lyrics so they can relate to the songs. For example, if Mike were to insert the words "my kids" into Invisible, that immediately makes the song unrelatable to a vast majority of their fan base. And let's be real here, OML is a commercial album. One of the goal's of OML, along with making an impact on fans/listeners, was to sell. Linkin Park is a business (in addition to a group that expresses art through music). They had to find that happy medium between a personal, honest album and one that could be relatable to a wide base of listeners.

Post Traumatic is not that. Mike isn't trying to sell anything. He's just trying to open up. And that's where this gap that you have noticed was created.

/rant.

Vic

Vic No game no life

"Hearing such sincere feelings is piercing" - A quote from my favorite Anime and it goes so damn good for this EP, I have so much respect for Mike, this guy truly is inspirational.

wolflink

wolflink I feel very privileged in debt for my thirst

Thank you mike for share with us your pain,, we, the fans,, will always be here to support all of you.

I send you thousands of love

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

01 Place to Start
    Interprètes : MIKE SHINODA, Producer, Mixer, Vocals, Writer, MainArtist
    ROB BOURDON, Percussion
    Michelle Mancini, Masterer
    Label : Warner Bros. - Warner

02 Over Again
    Interprètes : MANNY MARROQUIN, Mixer
    MIKE SHINODA, Producer, Vocals, Writer, MainArtist

03 Watching As I Fall
    Interprètes : MANNY MARROQUIN, Mixer
    MIKE SHINODA, Producer, Vocals, Writer, MainArtist

Credits grabbed from my digital download

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

I have a feeling this is going to be a 4-part EP. Maybe by April, July then October. 12 tracks by the end of the year.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

This is great, and there's more on the way in due time.

Duragon

Duragon Well-Known Member

It's painfull to see this man so hurt.

After going through something no one deserves to go through, it's unbelievable that he got back on the stage and pushed as hard as he ever could.
    He sets an incredible example of a strong person being dragged through hell and back. And he keeps on going.
    These songs were very hard and painfull to listen to. And must have been very hard for him to write.
    You are my hero and idol Mike, you and your late friend.
    Your wisdom, your music and your kindness. Is something I will always follow and use as a continues inspiration in life.

I don't think Chester could be any more proud of Mike

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Fuck, Over Again hits so hard.

Abel, iamsatan, Gibs and 4 others like this.
    Blake

[​IMG]

I'm guessing this is just a coincidence because they are made by the same person and not a rebranding of Fort Minor?

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"Place To Start" is my favourite track, but my favourite line right now is from "Over Again": "all the sudden, you hear what I said a hundred ways before?"

Female vocal engineer and co-writers on the last album, female mastering engineer on this EP (and the live album)

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

I respect that and I understand where you're coming from, but I just want to point out that not everyone relates to lyrics in the same way. Sometimes Linkin Park's tendency to over generalise issues and write meaningful but ultimately vague songs makes it very hard for me to relate to them. This isn't a criticism of the band or their effort in lyric-writing, it's just a personal preference for the kind of lyrics that resonate with me. It's the difference between describing emotions and describing situations that evoke said emotions. Linkin Park's lyrics tend to do the former; telling us directly the feelings and emotions while removing any specific context, and while there's nothing wrong with that, I personally tend to enjoy the latter approach, where situations are described and the listener is made to fill in the gaps. For example, Mike's descriptions in Over Again make me viscerally feel the mix of confusion, dread, anxiety, and fear for the future that he's been going through, even though I'll clearly never be in exactly that situation myself. But I can relate to it because I've had moments in my life where I've felt exactly that way, even if it was to a lesser extent. On the other hand, if he had just described those emotions directly, it wouldn't have had the same impact on me. For me, it's like how a good book or film will tell you a story and hope that you relate to what the characters are going through, rather than trying to painstakingly, explicitly describe the whirl of emotions that they are feeling. Because for me, some emotions are too complicated to be adequately put in words, and can only be described indirectly by showing us how they might arise.

And for the record (because some people seem to be getting upset with anything that sounds vaguely critical of the band), I want to stress that there's nothing wrong with the vaguer, more general approach to lyric-writing. I get why many people find that more meaningful and personal, and I'm certainly not criticising the band for using that approach for the majority of their career. However, personally, I usually find myself resonating more with lyrics that describe a situation and let me experience the emotions through that, and while I do genuinely love most the lyrics on OML, my only personal, minor gripe is that I would have preferred more lyrics that let me do that. On the other hand, the Post Traumatic EP does exactly that, and that's why I'm blown away by Mike's approach to lyricism here. Because personally, I'm resonating with these lyrics a lot more than I resonated with OML on my first few listens (although there's no way of knowing whether that will change with time or not). And that's not a knock on Linkin Park's lyric-writing on OML, it's just a reflection on the kind of lyrics that I enjoy.

IronDust71, Hybrid, HybridT and 3 others like this.
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I find that lyrics describing specific situations tend to hit me a bit more as well. A number of pop singles from the last couple of years have succeeded from words that really paint scenes

IronDust71, Lotus, Iopia and 2 others like this.
    MadNyankomon-Senpai

MadNyankomon-Senpai Well-Known Member

The song "Place To Start" is now trending at #17 in Germany on YouTube. But it is still not trending in America and England yet. It might trend at #1 tomorrow in Germany, who knows.
    The video "Chester Bennington - Memorials Around The World" was also trending in Germany only.
    Linkin Park has truly a dedicated fanbase in Germany.

IronDust71 and Ksandory like this.
    about2break

about2break Well-Known Member

Hard to write a post after reading all of that. I just don't know what more there is to say without getting too personal. Let's just say that I very much liked and appreciated hearing these today. Even though it's hard, I find comfort in the fact that it's bringing folks together, preserving the LP legacy, whilst continuing to "keep on". I hope Mike will find comfort in the positive reception of this. Looking forward to the rest he has in store! *tear <3

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Very fair points. For me, I just feel like compared to other albums, OML is a lot less general when it comes to the lyrics. Especially after Chester's passing, I saw much of the lyrics as reflections of Chester's and Mike's lives. Especially with songs like Halfway Right, Invisible and Sorry For Now. But I do get your point that maybe the writing on OML could have used a little more shove. I agree with you; I also prefer more specific writing (I absolutely love the lyrics on Over Again, and also how on Eden's song icarus is all about his personal struggle to find happiness at the height of his fame). I just dont think that The Free Elements' dig at OML's writing really had a place in this thread, and I for one saw his argument as a little flawed. But I do appreciate your open-minded response :)

Iopia likes this.
    SmallCapybara

SmallCapybara Member

When I watched this I thought about how LP are my favourite band and I've followed them for many years, and now I'm watching Mike on his own rapping and singing about Chester's passing. It's really strange.

Another thought was that at first I was somewhat surprised to hear such painful lyrics from Mike, but then I remembered he wrote a lot of the lyrics in the LP back catalogue, and many of those deal with pain.

I was a bit taken aback by the anger in the songs - as people said earlier in the thread Mike always comes across as fairly easy going and cheerful when he talks to people (this isn't a criticism - I'm pleased that he was able to be so honest in the songs). I have sometimes wondered how Mike was able to write lyrics about such difficult topics in the past, when he came across as quite a happy person. In terms of life experiences LP songs often came across as a closer fit for Chester than Mike. Then again, I don't know either of them personally so my concept of their lives and personalities is unlikely to be accurate. - Having re-read this point, Chester always came across as cheerful as well, but he also talked candidly about his experiences of depression and addiction, which Mike hasn't done (either because he doesn't have those issues or because he doesn't want to talk about it).

Edited to add - it seems Mike may be reading these comments so if he is reading through I want to add to the many people thanking him. The way he has dealt with all of this has been inspirational and encourages me to keep going through my own struggles.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    about2break likes this.
    Blake

So I finally went back and read all the Q&A answers by Mike. I love how much detail he went into. He really spent time and thought into each answer. Hes a really good dude and I appreciate him a lot.

This is one of the instances where 280 characters is good for Twitter too.

Thank you Mike!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    about2break, Sasuke and Iopia like this.
    Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Watching As I Fall reminds me of 311 and I can't really explain why.

HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

Watching the 'Over Again' music video, I realised that he wears the same outfit that he had at the Hollywood Bowl concert. So, I already know that the first verse was written before the show, but maybe he also recorded this part of the video too at the same time.