Linkin Park's Chester Bennington Dead at 41

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jul 20, 2017.

1. thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

I had one exchange with Chester in my life in 2007 in Toronto at the Project Revolution show. I caught up him in the VIP area for ticket holders signing autographs. I'm 19, wasted/star struck and i approached himself and thanked him for the music and said it would mean the world to me if he shook my hand ( corny in hindsight but hey i was 19). He looked up, smiled, said thank you, shook my hand with both of his hands, signed the autograph then went backstage. I'm staring at that ticket right now with his signature "chaz" on it and i'm fighting the urge to not cry right now.

I've been speechless all morning and afternoon. Linkin Park and Chester's voice specifically was an anchor in my life (God I hate writing this in past tense). He screamed so I didn't have to. I am forever grateful for the comfort and escape he gave me when i had no one to turn to for guidance, help, or comfort.

Sad day. To anyone in the Linkin Park community who are battling similar issues internally. Stay strong. Life is beautiful.

RIP Chester. I love you brother. Rest now.

To the rest of the band, we are with you no matter what project you work on next. The LP community will alway support you.

2. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

I feel numb. I'm not crying. This just doesn't seem real yet. I'm sure it will hit me in the next day or two. Linkin Park is the reason I love music as much as I do. I don't even have words to describe this loss. I love the band. I love you guys. I love y'all.

3. Mitch

Mitch YTB

What absolutely shocking news to wake up to.
    The couple of times I got to speak to Chester I could really feel how connected he was with the fans and he really made sure us (the fans) had a great time at their shows. Such a good bloke.
    RIP

4. thesungoesdown

Same. I plan on going to the park later to catch the sunset and i'll be listening to Shadow of the day among other tunes. Probably will hit me like a ton of bricks then.

5. mainap

mainap Well-Known Member

Since I woke up today I had a nervous stomach and a weird feeling that sg was odd and I didn't have a slightest clue why I felt this.
    The whole day I listened LP, (to help me get in a better mood) I watched some live shows on youtube and I was nostalgic.
    Than tonight my friend texted me - "did you see it, chester died, and I was like, what the fuck"

Im 27 I've listened LP since I was 11, at that time my parents got divorced, and every night I cried myself into sleep, I listened Hybrid Theory
    since then, every time I had rejection from a girl, or had psychological pain or failure in my life they were my crutch.
    Every album of theirs came right on time in my life, every changes was good and helping, every song was so right and meaningful at the time
    At school a bunch of people knew me as "the linkinpark guy" everybody knew how much their music meant to me, still meaning to me

Despite the fact that Mike is my role model and I started to make music and rap because of him, Chester was always something more to me
    He was like a demigod or I dont know, but I trully admire him, his voice was the cure to all my pains. When I was angry I screamed with him, when I was sad I sang I cried with him because I knew that what he was singing about was real, the reason why he was screaming was because he went through the same like the tones of us.

I can honestly say despite I've never had the chance to meet him personally,(I only see they were performing twice at Nova Rock) I always kinda felt some connection between me and him or the band. I know a lot of you here feels the same way and its a true feeling
    so even if I dont really know him, I loved him, I still am, but Im also so angry with him
    His voice was saving me, I trully dont know what would I do without their songs, without those so well written lyrics that spoke on my behalf every goddamn time
    Those words came from his heart, thats why it found and easy way into ours.
    Even though in the last few hours I denied it, I was angry, I cried, I still cant procces it mentally

I love you man, you were my anchor, the reason to not give up, and yet you were the one who gaves up
    only you knew why,
    I dont know what the actual fuck should i do from now on
    There would be no more words from you to save me
    I know I know I can listen to all these song again and again but I will always know that you quit Chaz
    How can I be strong enough if you werent? All these lyrics are circulating in my head, all these memories

this is one of the worst day of my life, you are the first person I lost.

Im so sorry for your family and for the band
    I hope, in our next life or in some way that I could meet you, and we will be in a better state

mmmmtastycookies and HybridT like this.
  6. CannaKippers

CannaKippers Member

Hey everyone. Long, long time lurker, an even longer time fan of Chester, Mike and all of Linkin Park.

Incredibly shocked and I had to sign up just to say that. Loved all of their music and all of their albums through every change they went through. I hope the voices of the loud minority who didn't enjoy OML, (in an aggressive/insulting manner), didn't sour Chester's last few months anymore than I can only guess other things in his life already were. I hope he knew that lots of people love their/his work.

We've lost an incredible vocal talent regardless of anyone's opinions on their musical style.

R.I.P.

7. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

What the fuck.

I just heard the news out of fucking nowhere and I don't know what to say.

This is pretty fucking sad. I dunno. I didn't knew the guy, and I feel like I shouldn't cry, but I do. This is shit.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  8. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

Some songs are going to be too tough to listen to for me as well, I'm feeling broken. Sitting here drinking vodka and listening to Somewhere I Belong, can't believe it. This band means so much to me.

9. thesungoesdown

It probably played a part, but this type of chatter usually happens when someone commits suicide. People start thinking that they played a role in what happened. The reality of the situation is that this is a lifetime struggle that has been growing, then laying dormant, and obviously was triggered with Chris Cornell's passing. I've spoken to a friend about this before but i don't think anyone ever gets over depression. Once that "entity" is created it lives with you forever. You just learn to manage ir and live with it until it gets easier. I think with Chester he was doing all the right things: sobriety, healthy marriage, family man, etc --but when a backlash occurs on the new album, and Chris committing suicide, he probably had an existential crisis after the depression as triggered again. It takes a long of strength and stamina to live with depression. I've always hated the cliche " go ask for help". There is no solution. You have to just try your best and do the right things, like what Chester did, but sometimes your fate is inevitable. It was going to end this way for Chester no matter what. Fucking sad. RIP.

HybridShadow and CannaKippers like this.
  10. Noosh

Noosh Well-Known Member

I remember being blown away by What I've Done when I first heard it in 2009 and buying A Thousand Suns after gravitating towards Linkin Park in 2010. I loved the album so much that I bought their earlier music. It's haunting hearing them now knowing Chester's gone because his voice was so unique. One of few singers who could sing so soft yet scream with ferocity. I saw them for the first time in 2014 and his stage presence was electrifying and his voice sounded phenomenal bouncing off the walls of the MEN arena. If it weren't for what happened in Manchester, this would've been the second and last time I'd have seen him. His music has helped me through breakups and terrible days at college, such a terrible shame he had as many demons inside as those he made music for...

Can't even begin to imagine how his loved ones from his family to his band mates must be feeling right now...

11. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

I made a post soon after OML was released. It was about my favorite track off the album "nobody can save me". I mentioned I thought it was about suicide and forgiveness. Asking friends and family and God for forgiveness, etc. The for shadowing is eerie. But yes I do. I forgive you Chester.

Rest in peace.

Blake, CannaKippers and JSigcha10 like this.
  12. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I'm just posting what I posted on Facebook now that LPA isn't down for me anymore. BUT also adding a special section for the Linkin Park online community.

"I sit here and write this in shock. Chester Bennington, my favorite or 2nd favorite vocalist of all time, has passed away at just age 41. This truly goes to show how no one truly knows what is going on inside of others. Be kind to whoever you meet because you never know what will push people over the edge. Chester seemed extremely happy up until Chris Cornell's death and even then seemed to be in a stable place. You never know what someone os truely desling with. Linkin Park is in my top 10 acts of all time and at one point was my #1 favorite band. So sad to hear this and prayers go out to his family, his friends, the fans, and anyone else effected by this tragedy. Celebrity deaths don't normally get to me but this one hits really hard.

"Who cares if one more light goes out
    In the sky of a million stars
    It flickers, flickers
    Who cares when someone's time runs out
    If a moment is all we are
    Or quicker, quicker
    Who cares if one more light goes out
    Well I do
    Well I do"

RIP Chester Bennington

To add to that I want to day something specifically to the Linkin Park community:

I don't know what will happen to LPA, I don't know what will happen to LPL, I don't know what will happen to Mike Shinoda's music career, but I do know it was a fun ride. All of us coming together with a mutual interest in the band. For a lot of us, this band was out favorites. I ask you all to cherish the memories you made not only with the band's music or live shows but always with the strong presence of the online Linkin Park community. I've had an account on LPL since 2010, I've been talking about Linkin Park on Kanyetothe.com since 2010, and I've had an LPA account since 2012. I finally saw the band for the first time in 2014 qnd had plans to see them again this year, 2017. Time flies because it feels like yesterday that I just joined LPA when it's really been 5 years. The community of people here is the reason I always find myself coming back here. And regardless of if this website goes away, I will remember all the good times and even some of the not so good time on this website. I want to thank you all for putting lasting memories in my life that I will forever cherish.

Linkin Park to me is a band that never gets old, no matter how I feel about this album or that album. Linkin Park has released 6 great studio albums out of 7 to me and for that I will always cherish and always listen to their music. I'm positive the band will retire do to end with 6 great albums is accomplishment because a lot of bands don't even make it to releasing 6 albums. I am forever grateful about Linkin Park, about Mike, about Brad, about Joe, about Phoenix, but especially Chester Bennington. He's the reason I like the band as much as I do and it was a good ride. Thank you Linkin Park for all the great albums, the great EPs (Collision course included), the great demos, the great live shows out there, and the great experience of being a fan. I have never followed aby other band this closely. Even my favorite band Blink-182, I never cared to follow in depth like Linkin Park. Linkin Park has always been truely special in that regard. While the Linkin Park online community will start to dwindle let's never forget the times as a community and hope we can remain in tact.

RIP Chester Bennington :(

Deliveranze likes this.
  13. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I am speechless. I am 22 now and listend to the band for 8 years now.
    It all began when a friend of mine show me "this catchy song i should listen to". At that time, i was 14 and didnt listen to any kind of music. I was just a teenager who wanted to stick somewhere in. And then i listened to In The End. And when the chorus kicked in i was like "wow, that sounds great, show me more".
    My friend make me a mix of all 3 albums released to the moment so i had a nice mix. After i listened to them i decided to get the albums. After then i started to be a fan. 2010 nmy first concert ever, Linkin Park on the A Thousand Suns tour in Dortmund. I fucking loved it.

Chesters voice was so good. His singing and screaming always was awesome. His voice and the sound of the other 5 guys went with me through some hard times and gave me strength in them.

Now with OML, its weird. The songs seem weird now. I cant describe it in the moment. Its just... weird. I cant imagine how much pain Chester had to have. Its so so sad. I wish i could have met hime sometime. Now its too late. But now he is in a better place though. Wish his family and friends the best. Especially Mike, Brad, Dave, Joe and Rob.

He and Linkin Park will always be in my hearth. Rest in Piece Chester. Do some great duetts with Chris now.

HybridShadow likes this.
  14. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Something I forgot to add to my last post.

A band I listen to called Neck Deep has a representative from "Hope For the Day" go around on tour with them and regardless of if they are opening or headlining they will use the first two minutes of this set to let this guy talk about his organization and talking about Suicide Awareness/Prevention.

If any of you are struggling or know someone who is strugfling, I URGE you to check out this website:http://www.hftd.org/

15. Emiltayeb

Emiltayeb Well-Known Member

been listening to LP from age of 11. im 24 now.

i heard it at work and went sick. i still can believe this is real.

im hearing right now "Nobody Can Save me ".

ALl my friends, everyone know LP , i can't belive this is what Chester did.

why? the man, whose singing kept me sane and helped a lot took his own life?!

16. JSigcha10

JSigcha10 Well-Known Member

Mine too. Feeling so sick about this right now. RIP Chester

17. Kaique Smart

Kaique Smart There's nothing to fear but fear itself

This is so sad. Speechless.

Feel so bad for the other members, family and other friends. Losing someone close this way must the toughest thing ever. I doubt you can ever recover from it.

This sucks so bad. I never thought about the band ending. Obviously it was going to happen at some point, but I always thought it would be because they got too old and etc. Thought they would still release albums for the next 10 years or so at least. Never imagined it could ever happen like this. I know you can't never imagine this, but things seemed to be going pretty good with them, they didn't seem to be having major issues with drugs and alcohol at the moment. It seemed like the band was going strong. I can't see they keep on going after this. He was the heart of the band.

Cornell's death must have hit him pretty hard. Today's his birthday. Can't just be a coincidence.

Rest in Peace, Chester.

HybridShadow likes this.
  18. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

LP will never be the same without Chester. Though, Shinoda is the brain of the band but Bennington is the heart and soul of the band.
    RIP Chester. We will miss you.. (This is so devastating...got chills and made hair stand up upon reading OML tracks like, "Nobody Can Save Me" "Good Goodbye".

HybridShadow likes this.
  19. Giorgos [Blind View]

Giorgos [Blind View] blah

Chester, thank you for everything.

It was because of you and your band, Linkin Park, that I discovered the joy of listening to music.
    It was because of you that I got into more than one genre.
    It was because of you that I started to love with passion albums that got shit from the critics.

I feel honoured to have seen you sing live 2 times in my country, Greece. You were amazing, you always were amazing. You were always so polite, down to earth, funny, inspired and inspiring.
    I will miss you so much.
    I will miss the hype for every album cycle around the forums.
    I will miss the excitement of listening to every new album of my favourite band.
    I will miss a true artist that had so much more to give...
    My thoughts to the family and the rest of the band. Please be safe.

Fellow fans, the whole LP community, I consider you a family of mine, too. Stay strong.

Rest in peace, Chester. The world will never forget you, my friend. You are now a legend.

Blake and Bruno like this.
  20. Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

Seems even more surreal now. It's Chester Bennington. How can he be gone? Damn.

AndreyKamensky likes this.