Rant

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by riddle, Feb 29, 2004.

riddle

riddle Well-Known Member

I know I’m really quite new to this place, but I have a little peeve here that I want to get out of my system.
    I sense a sort of... hostility here. I know I must sound like a psychologist or something, but it’s true. It could be my imagination, but is there a division here? Between people who like certain albums by LP?
    Is it considered to be impossible to thoroughly enjoy every album? It seems to be the way here. Go to the HT forums and they’re full of criticism for Meteora, and vice versa. Go to the Reanimation forums and everyone hates it, and complains that the album should never have been made.
    I LIKE ALL THREE ALBUMS.
    EQUALLY.
    WOAH.
    Yes, it is possible. I love Linkin Park’s music – ALL OF IT. And in fact, it is very important to me in a very personal way – it actually changed my life. But that’s not the point. The point is that I like all the albums.
    Yes, even Reanimation. I’ll admit it took me a few plays for me to get used to a track or two, but I actually enjoy listening to it. And I certainly don’t think it should never have been made. It’s an exploration of sound, interesting, different and exciting. It toys with the emotions evoked by the songs and, if anything, punctuates them. I think P5hng Me A*wy is a masterpiece. Pts. Of Athrty is just a little bit more Points of Authority-ish than the original, if that makes sense. Krwlng is disturbingly brilliant. Yes, I do like it.
    Hybrid Theory is a great album that explores imagery and obscure poetry that is really very cool as well as provocative. It begins to play with the unusual style of sound that is LP’s trademark, most obvious in Cure for the Itch. It really doesn’t need much of a promotion from me, seeing as most people seem to love it here.
    Meteora is the logical next step from HT. Though I admit the lyrics are less interesting and variable than those in HT, the music itself is far more mature and evolved. It’s amazing to listen to if you find a silent space, stick the album in your discman and listen to it in loud, full stereo. There are some incredible minor parts that work together flawlessly to make the unique sound, and it’s interesting to listen out for each individual part. I don’t think I’ve found all parts in every song, and you have no idea how often I’ve done that.
    You see? It’s possible to like every one of the albums. If everyone could stop assuming everyone loves either HT or Meteora and hates the other, and that everyone just hates Reanimation, I think the hostility around this place could be alleviated.
    Hmm. We need a rants section in this place. ^_^

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Not everyone thinks the same. Not everyone will ever agree with the same things; you just have to get over it and accept it. Some might and some might not agree with you, but ranting about it doesn't do any good.

It's called an opinion, by the way ;).

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

What's with the number's and the wierd jumbles you put in between all of your words? :huh:

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I believe that happens when you type it in Notepad or Wordpad, and then copy and paste it to the internet.

Or something like that. He didn't do it on purpose though.

riddle

riddle Well-Known Member

I believe that happens when you type it in Notepad or Wordpad, and then copy and paste it to the internet.

Or something like that. He didn't do it on purpose though. [/b][/quote]
    :p Yeah, I wrote this on word this morning, when I was feeling very annoyed because I had no internet connection. So now I'm in a happier mood, I read it again and see that I don't really believe much of it. ^_^ I still believe there's a bit of a split, but it doesn't get to me at the moment.

By the way, I'm female. :D

HARLEYsheXda

HARLEYsheXda Well-Known Member

Or something like that. He didn't do it on purpose though. [/b][/quote]
    it happens to me once...

guess i was just too lazy to type that same s**t all over again...

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Oh.

Sorry. My bad.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I don't hate Meteora, but it's nothing compared to Hybrid Theory. To be perfectly honest, I think even Reanimation was better than Meteora. They stuck to too tight a formula and it didn't turn out how I expected. Therefore, I don't like it as much as I could.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I like all three of the albums, but Meteora has to be the ugly duckling of the three. Hybrid Theory was absolutely incredible, flawless, Reanimation was quite good (other than the "dump on your lawn"-calibre rappers) because it was experimental, there were some awesome experiments going down there and Mike did a great job producing.

Now, Meteora seemed like a vain attempt to follow Hybrid Theory's success and formula. There was nothing really new here, other than the annoying japanese flute and the amazing BTH (which shouldn't have been made a single, by the way, but that's another subject. Breaking The Habit's an incredible song, but will make Linkin Park's reputation look horrible when it's played ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT on radio and tv stations across the world for months at a time, there aren't even any audible trademark heavy guitars. Teenie infestation pending). Meteora was okay for the first month, but it quickly got monotonous, as if we were listening to a heavier "Hybrid Theory" with more screams and less meaning. I wouldn't care if they put out an acoustic album, as long as it had thoughtful and deep lyrics. I think it was a letdown and I know they can do better without having a producer water it down. They have so much potential and it's just not getting reached.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

that's just wrong.

They chose to hire some talented rappers for Reanimation, and people #### all over them because a few of them were bad.

Okay, let's just hire people like Method Man, Red Man, Ja Rule, etc. to rap with Linkin Park, and see how you like it.

Don't say all the rappers on Reanimation sucked, just because of one rapper's lyric.

Besides, how can you say Pharoahe Monch & Black Thought sucked?

Mark

that's just wrong.

They chose to hire some talented rappers for Reanimation, and people #### all over them because a few of them were bad.

Okay, let's just hire people like Method Man, Red Man, Ja Rule, etc. to rap with Linkin Park, and see how you like it.

Don't say all the rappers on Reanimation sucked, just because of one rapper's lyric.

Besides, how can you say Pharoahe Monch & Black Thought sucked? [/b][/quote]
    You're getting absolutely ridiculous, Casey! Back off!

I didn't say ANYTHING about Pharoah Monch or Black Thought, so take another damn look at my post. I just said that it's somewhat embarassing to be listening to a f*cking Linkin Park song then to hear lyrics about taking ##### on peoples lawns. And I didn't generalize all the rappers as Amp Live-calibre rappers, I just mentioned him and the lyric he used. The lyrics from Frgt/10 and WTh>You were great, and everything else was pretty good too. I can only imagine how great H! Vltg3 probably would have been without that looped piano. Many of the rappers were tlaneted, just not all.

You're getting way too confrontational, and you're too quick to jump down other people's throats, I've noticed it and I'm sick of it. Learn to respect other people's damn opinions, no matter how passionate you are about a certain subject. Think before you act, Casey.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

You're getting absolutely ridiculous, Casey! Back off!

I didn't say ANYTHING about Pharoah Monch or Black Thought, so take another damn look at my post. I just said that it's somewhat embarassing to be listening to a f*cking Linkin Park song then to hear lyrics about taking ##### on peoples lawns. And I didn't generalize all the rappers as Amp Live-calibre rappers, I just mentioned him and the lyric he used. The lyrics from Frgt/10 and WTh>You were great, and everything else was pretty good too. I can only imagine how great H! Vltg3 probably would have been without that looped piano. Many of the rappers were tlaneted, just not all.

You're getting way too confrontational, and you're too quick to jump down other people's throats, I've noticed it and I'm sick of it. Learn to respect other people's damn opinions, no matter how passionate you are about a certain subject. Think before you act, Casey. [/b][/quote]
    look who's jumping down throats now..

anyways, sorry if I "misread" your post. Gets kinda old seeing everyone here #### all over Reanimation just because the rappers sucked.

Yeah. My bad.

Mark

look who's jumping down throats now..

anyways, sorry if I "misread" your post. Gets kinda old seeing everyone here #### all over Reanimation just because the rappers sucked.

Yeah. My bad. [/b][/quote]
    Ever hear of either of the quotes "what comes around, goes around", "every action has an opposite reaction" or "an eye for an eye"? Well those can be implemented there. You get what you put out, Casey. You can't just expect someone to say "well, my opinions have just been voided by some guy, better respect his" because it's not going to happen. That post has been a long time coming.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

I love BTH. I hate how there are all these singles are coming up. I've actually been thinking recently that Meteora is better than Hybrid Theory, but I switch back and forth from my favorite album.

You people have to remember: Don Gilmore produced the amazing Hybrid Theory.

Mark

I love BTH. I hate how there are all these singles are coming up. I've actually been thinking recently that Meteora is better than Hybrid Theory, but I switch back and forth from my favorite album.

You people have to remember: Don Gilmore produced the amazing Hybrid Theory. [/b][/quote]
    I'm pretty sure Warner Bros didn't care nearly as much about Linkin Park's success when HT was coming out, then for Meteora. I can bet HT was as much as a suprise to Warner than it was to LP when it became huge. Why not rape that success for the second album? Don Gilmore was just a puppet for Wanrer, trying to make everything mainstream of Meteora. It was a trainwreck to many people, a change is needed.

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

:p Yeah, I wrote this on word this morning, when I was feeling very annoyed because I had no internet connection. So now I'm in a happier mood, I read it again and see that I don't really believe much of it. ^_^ I still believe there's a bit of a split, but it doesn't get to me at the moment.

By the way, I'm female. :D [/b][/quote]
    Oh okay I see know. At first I thought you were crazy! :lol:

Amy

Amy LPA VIP LPA Über VIP

Yeah, I like all the albums too but I think Meteora just isn't as good as the others. That's all their is to say :\

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

It's not just about the albums, some of the hostility is because certain people here get on the nerves of other people. It happens all the time, especially when someone does something that is totally within the limits of the forum rules, but it still pisses everyone off. People get sick of people's opinions and start to b*tch... Others introduce new theories that sound completely insane, and some people are just plain stupid.

It's all part of being a forum, a community, I suppose you just have to ignore the people who get to you, and move on. People are fully entitled to their separate opinions and I suppose we all have to live with it. *shrug*

riddle

riddle Well-Known Member

Thanks for this reply. You're right.

It's strange. I've never been to a forum quite like this one. All the other communities I have been part of have been made up of members who all get along, and are in fact bonded quite closely together. The hard part is actually becoming part of that group. Oh, they accept new applicants, but there's a definite hostility towards newcomers, and it's practically impossible to really become part of the community. I like this place. It accepts people straight up.

Anyway, I disagree with everyone. ^_^ To me, Meteora is no better or worse than HT. I'd have to say I like HT more, but I don't think it's better as such. It's just very different. Yes, there are some recurring themes in the music, and some are quite similar. But that's Meteora for you. The whole album flows from one track to the next, and how can that possibly sound right if the songs aren't related?
    I don't really think the album was designed for the single tracks, but rather to be played as a whole.

As for that idea of conforming to popular trends, I completely disagree. Think about this. The popular music you refer to (I assume we're talking about the same music) generally talks about being in love or angry I-Hate-You-Get-Out-Of-My-Life themes. Few actually discuss weakness, not wanting to give up that which causes you suffering, bittersweet relationships. Some do, yes, but not many.
    That aside, I actually don't think Meteora is about the lyrics, but is instead about the music, as I think I talked about before. So I don't think it's right to ridicule it and say it's an inferior album when all it is is different.

By the way, I think the Japanese pipe is cool. :D

crawlin_fan

crawlin_fan Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. That was very well said.

I suppose you could say I'm one of the few on here who actually thinks Meteora is a better body of work than Hybrid Theory. To my ears, it's a definite musical progression, and reflects the fact that the band have matured together. Of the two albums, Meteora is the one that is on repeat all the way through on my stereo, something i haven't quite managed with Hybrid Theory, as great as it is.