Linkin Park Score Their Sixth No.1 Album On Billboard 200 Chart With 'One More Light'

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, May 29, 2017.

1. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Mate I wasn't talking about you, you've expressed what you like and don't like clearly and that's fine. Seriously :lol:. I was just calling out the notion that Fantano gave some deep, expert analysis that we all conveniently ignored because of one slip he made. Maybe he clarified later, I don't know, but in the video you were referring to, he absolutely didn't. Also, when did I say he has "literally no idea what he's talking about"? Please don't put words in my mouth.

Regarding "bubblegum pop", I think you're mixing up why people keep bringing it up. It's not about the other guy (that conversation's been clarified and is long over), it's about your comment where you said that "a lot of it really is (bubblegum pop), though." If you still think OML is bubblegum pop, or even the modern equivalent of bubblegum pop, that's totally fine, you've made your points and we've heard them, but likewise, others have explained why they disagree on several occasions, and it just feels like you're moving the goalposts away from "this album is similar to bubblegum pop", towards "this album is radio pop", and arguing vehemently as if people have a problem with the latter statement. Again, if you meant the latter all along, then that's fine, but I don't see why you're arguing as if no one's agreeing with you, because honestly I don't think anyone's disagreeing with you on that one. But that wasn't the initial argument presented, by you or the other guy. It just feels like you're drawing out the conversation and disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.

Anyway, as others have said, this discussion is just going in circles. I've said my piece. :)

(Also I don't think it's appropriate to call me a shithead for literally no reason, but whatever :shrug:).

Alexrednex likes this.
  2. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I just can't understand why some people cant be happy for the band for trying something different that they personally haven't done before, and congratulate them for trying new things even if they personally don't enjoy the record. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter if 10,000 bands have done this sound before, Linkin Park haven't. It should be considered impressive that the band has now made 7 albums, and somehow has managed on most of those albums to hit #1, and still gain new fans (while keeping old ones) with the amount of sound changes they've made. The band won't sound like this one album from now, so I don't get why it's been such a huge deal. I really don't.

Louis, Abel, Alexrednex and 4 others like this.
  3. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

KENDRICK IS HOT GARBA-- kidding... I'm kidding. Not going down that road again...

I get what you mean by most of this, but... Crawling, a lighter track? You don't consider the chorus and even the lead-up ("So insecure") to be aggressive screams? Even Papercut isn't "light", even if lighter than By Myself or A Place for My Head. Disagree about Runaway being in that group though, it's lighter than Crawling or Papercut.

Also, you used the term earlier... accuracy or inaccuracy aside, getting pretty tired of hearing about "bubblegum pop"... then again I generally dislike labels. So, there's that. Labels and comparisons are basically useless. Also, bubblegum being alive or dead aside, I just disagree that One More Light should be pinned as such.

You did make one good point, about how CD sales would look if not included with tour tickets. While I disagree with calling these CD's "free" (included with an expensive ticket can't be seen as free)... if aside from the tour, which some may have chosen to go attend due to hearing past LP material, and weren't going to otherwise buy the album, but got a copy because of their ticket... yeah, interesting to think about.

You also mentioned being done with this band (I think you said this site too so you may never even read this)... after mentioning this is the "first time" you've had a problem with a Linkin Park studio album. 1st time out of 7. And you mentioned being 31 years old so this band has been around through formative years of your life, but now suddenly, done with them...

One of those guys, eh? *shrug*... goodbye, then

(Also, nice generalization that chipmunk voices and "na na na" automatically equal cheesiness...over simplifying, to say the least)

For some it's as simple as any first/debut album by a band is what they set out into the world as, that's their sound, and thus a debut album way more often doesn't get stuck with criticism of selling out. Not saying I agree with this line of thinking, but it seems to be the case with a lot of people.

This gif made me actually laugh out loud. Thank you for this.

He said "I think" not "he is" (overrated). If it's his opinion, there is no right or wrong, and thus "Yes" and "No" don't apply here.

P.S : ...pretty much thinking Ultimate Guitar can generally shove it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  4. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

[​IMG]

5. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Jack_Farrell, Sonic, Sasuke and 2 others like this.
  6. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

:lol:

7. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Can you guys just stop

Abel, Louis and Michele like this.
  8. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

... yay for the band, right guys... right?

Eh fuck it, y'all just gonna argue anyways.

9. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Can you just start?

10. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

This shitty thread is still a thing?

Sasuke and Captain-EO like this.
  11. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

[​IMG]

12. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

No. I have the best opinions. Biggest. Trust me. I know some very smart people, good people, real smart. This is gonna be yuuge. Gonna make bubblegum pop great again.

13. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I wonder if these haters have a hard time sleeping?

wattmatters likes this.
  14. wattmatters

wattmatters Well-Known Member

Damn, Mike's vocals are so beautiful on this one.
    I think he should do more of this stuff.

:shinado: Mike, you super talented bastard. :lazars:

Sasuke likes this.
  15. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I guess Nobody Can Save Us now :kappa:

Abel, Gibs, Captain-EO and 1 other person like this.
  16. hybrid1988

hybrid1988 Fever Daydream

My sleep is wonderful.

17. Jayhov

Jayhov Well-Known Member

Me not liking the album doesn't make me a hater and I sleep fine ty

18. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

That's enough. Your snark only agitates and prolongs these already drawn-out, substance-less arguments you are all having. If you've got nothing productive or kind to say, spare us.

19. Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

It dropped down to number 30 within a week, thats very bad