Linkin Park - One More Light | Release Day Thread

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, May 18, 2017.

1. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

90k, when albums sell even less than they did in 2014...is definitely still successful. I wouldn't consider that a failure by any means.

2. wattmatters

wattmatters Well-Known Member

Guys I have compiled a playlist of all the mellow tracks by LP on iTunes.

Do check out.

https://itunes.apple.com/in/playlist/mellow-park/idpl.54b412dd32724765977438e5aec78064

Tracklist MELLOW PARK -

1. Krwlng
    2. Jornada del Muerto
    3. Battle Symphony
    4. Not Alone
    5. Hands Held High
    6. Castle of Glass
    7. Nobody Can Save Me
    8. Leave Out All The Rest
    9. Skin To Bone
    10. Burning In The Skies
    11. Halfway Right
    12. Drawbar
    13. Shadow of the Day
    14. Heavy
    15. My December
    16. Roads Untraveled
    17. Sorry For Now
    18. Waiting For The End
    19. TinFoil
    20. Powerless
    21. Robot Boy
    22. In Between
    23. Wisdom, Justice and Love
    24. Invisible
    25. Iridescent
    26. One More Light
    27. The Little Things Give You Away
    28. The Messenger
    29. Sharp Edges

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Captain-EO likes this.
  3. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Is Ed Sheeran's album still doing crazy well over there?

I remember Kendrick Lamar debuted #2 over there to Ed Sheeran, a month old album.

4. Nimz Lp

Nimz Lp niimz94

I'm not saying it's a failure. It's just that I feel bad that the album won't reach #1 in US.

5. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Nah, its just on #4 in the moment.

Blake likes this.
  6. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Does anyone remember when "album sales" began to include streaming numbers as well?

If I remember correctly, that wasn't the case when The Hunting Party came out.

7. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

https://www.lpassociation.com/forum/threads/ultimate-playlist.43083/

wattmatters likes this.
  8. Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

No, but it's not impressive. Other artists and bands still sell more than that. And this was a mainstream pop radio album 100% so it should have done a little better. Nothing will ever do as well as the first three albums anyways. But it still doesn't change the fact that it's their lowest selling album ever.

9. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Album's been out a week. Bit premature to say it will be their lowest selling album ever.

wattmatters likes this.
  10. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

After reading through a string of YouTube comments and other threads on this site, I need to say this (and I hope this the right place to say it):

If you like the album, great. If you don't like the album, that's fine, I can totally understand why. But for the love of god, stop trying to prove to everyone who thinks positively of this album that it's bad and anyone who likes it is wrong.

Just get the fuck over it, stop shoving your opinion down other people's throats so far that you end up shoving it out their anus.

Blake, minuteforce and Halfway Dwight like this.
  11. Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

I was just going by the Ultimate Guitar article. Who knows, maybe the album will continue to sell a lot of copies. It's not like I want Linkin Park to fail. This album honestly isn't as bad as people are saying it is. It's not my favorite by any means, but it does have some good songs. I honestly think people are just judging the album off of Heavy. I don't know why Mike said that the album sounded like Heavy back in that first interview in February. IMO, nothing on the album sounds like Heavy.

12. wattmatters

13. kcg

kcg Well-Known Member

14. wattmatters

Read this on Halfway Right's audio on Youtube.

This person has poured a lot of details. Well said man !!

I have decided to share my review regarding the battle between the current situation on Linkin Park, the album, the fans and the subjects in between. I'm not sure how many of you will read to the end of it. But i really wanted to take my chances to represent my ideas in a group where i have seen accountable behaviors.

There are numerous claims by those who dislike the new direction of Linkin Park.The interesting point about those claims are that majority of them are out of sense.They are unrealistic. They are a result of idiotic stereotypes. People say Linkin Park is a Sell-out. That itself is a creation out of the stereotypes. Sellout definition: "Selling out" is a common idiomatic pejorative expression for the compromising of a person's integrity, morality, authenticity, or principles in exchange for personal gain, such as money.

Everybody must ask themselves, "Is this really what Linkin Park did?" If your answer is yes. Be sure your answer is based on stereotypes. Linkin Park would be a sell out if they would listen to the fans. Because in that sense they are trying to create a material that a float of fans are desiring and they are ready to spend money on the record. People are forgetting that a music band is not a restaurant so you walk in, order your favorite piece of music, they make it, deliver it and then you pay for it.

An artist must pour their heart, soul, spirit, feelings and emotions into a record and play the instruments accordingly. In order to create a piece of music that feels right and the artist can feel the most comfortable with. Then they release it with so much enthusiasm with this hope that peole would enjoy it and connect with it as much as possible. This is the pure enjoyment and privilege of being an artist. To surprise yourself and the listeners. Let's never forget that music is a combination of several factors. Musical aspect and lyrical aspect. The vibe, the meaning and the message that the music is trying to send. Please think about it for few minutes. Ask and answer this question: " Isn't this what Linkin Park have done " ? They take risks. They mix various sub-genres together. They always make what they are comfortable with. They trying to enjoy music first before creating it because they love doing what they doing.

So, How this can be called a "Sell-out" ? Linkin Park took risk from the start of their career. They tested nearly 43 times here and there and no studio label was ready to invest in them. Because when you look at the material they wanted to create. It was out of logic and music theory. You listen to Hybrid Theory. Track two is " One Step Closer " an aggressive crafted music. Heavy and sharp. Track eight " In The End " is firmly a synthesizer-based song with a Hip-Hop structure in it. Track thirteen " My December " a very softly-crafted music. This is one of reasons that studios could not accept Linkin Park, because they couldn't identify where this band stands. Moreover, Linkin Park brought in " DJ" and "Disks" in rock music. A very unfamiliar new element that does not entirely make sense.

The root of Linkin Park always have been taking risks and making hybrid music. The list of stereotypes that i am observing get marked by people constantly:
    1.Pop is famous music.
    2.Linkin Park making pop because it is trendy so they can make money.
    3.Linkin Park wants teenage fans like 12 years old. Pop is for teenagers.
    4.Linkin Park is making pop. Linkin Pop.
    5.Pop is shit music -I don't even know what famous music means.
    There have never been a concept such as this. So Rock is underdog and Pop is famous. Attention, It's music not a battlefield. We should not make it personal. -I already explained this part above -New information for me. Since when music genre found a very specific age? Music does not have an age limit. Any age can listen to any music.There is no regulation regarding this.

Meanwhile, One More Light is not even pop. It has pop roots but it is not pop. It's Alternative/Indie Rock. Indie Rock is sub-genre of Alternative Rock. Alternative Rock itself is a sub-genre of Rock. Now, Linkin Park used Synthesizers in a different dimension for this album. But this is not the first time. Synthesizers are part of Linkin Park's root. Mr.Hahn had this role since Hybrid Theory as the start. This time around. They decreased the guitar cores and transformed synthesizers ahead of the line. We have two basic sub-genres of Synths. Synth-Pop, this genre inspired experimental musicians to create and give birth to Synth-Rock several years ago. This album One More Light is a mix of Linkin Park's usual Synthesizers, Alternative rock and 80's indie rock. It's also a new experience and a new work in Linkin Park's skin.

How pop is shit? Isn't that a Pre-Judging and a prejudice behavior? Pop is a home of legends like Michael Jackson, Shakira, George Michael, Celine Dion, Samantha Fox, Sandra, etc Pop is a music genre like any other. But constantly bashing a genre with no logical reason is nothing but a growing stereotype. Even if few artists here and there are doing wrong. Using many auto-tunes and correcting-devices or crafting empty music in terms of musical and lyrical aspects.That should not destroy the image of Pop genre itself. There are many well-crafting pop artists out there as well. If we don't focus on hate and desire to see all angles. So even if Linkin Park creates a pop album. It's Linkin Park. What this has anything to do with other bad pop artists? It's LP. It's different.

Furthermore, it's really sad to see people generalize every soft-crafted song as pop and slamming instruments aggressively none-stop means music. I believe that's noise not music. Our global society is suffocating by stereotypes. As well as lack of enough education and understanding in what they listen but instead, they prefer to just fill the crowd and blend in. At that point. I would really say RIP to us as a society if this is how we feel the most comfortable to be. I do know everyone have different opinions. That is how it should be. It's entirely respectful. I have no intention to disrespect anyone but only stating my view respectfully.

Furthermore, if you dislike Linkin Park's new direction or a certain type of music. It would be so amazing if you do it civil, calm politely and logically. Focus on what you love than spreading hatred constantly. Calling Linkin Park members with names, cursing them and bashing them rudely only shows how low you are in value.

Thank you for reading. :)

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Fathom and The Joesen One like this.
  15. One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

I don't like the album. Was trying to like it. Talking to myself and Invisible are good but thats it. Sorry for now could be awesome if it weren't for that trap breakdown. OML might be the most boring LP song ever (and yes I know what the song is about still musically speaking its so boring it doesn't serve the song well). Along with TLTGYA. Sharp Edges is a blatant rip off of a song that is currently out (although I don't remember the title or artist). For the fact that there are elements/ideas I like though I give this album 2.5/10

16. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

There's been a lot of controversy surrounding this album, but once again it's been nice to spend an album cycle with people who are passionate (for better or worse) about Linkin Park. I wanted to post some reflections and thoughts I have about these songs before I probably bounce out of this site for a while until the next big release.

I think this album is phenomenal. I have enjoyed this album front to back many times at this point, and can safely say there is not a single song I dislike or consider skipping over.

I think this album is special. The lyrics clearly mean something to the guys in the band, who are creating music they want to make WITHOUT compromising their own integrity. This is my belief. I care not to argue with those who disagree. These lyrics are about very specific events and moments in LP's lives, and everything from the chord progressions to the harmonies to the cover artwork resonate with positiveness, optimism, and hope. These are themes I'm very happy to finally see in a Linkin Park album.

This album will become nostalgic with a very amazing part of my life. I got married last Saturday. The album came out last Friday. I spent the day before my wedding, the drive to my venue, the drive to my honeymoon, and time watching the ocean waves listening to this album. I have had the most memorable, special week of my life, and this album was the soundtrack to it all. I'm filled with hope right now. I'm filled with fulfillment and happiness. I got to marry my best friend, and this album's themes seem to continue a trend Linkin Park has of speaking to me personally, and the events going on in my life. I have only one tattoo. It says "Weep Not for Roads Untraveled" on the inside of my arm. Linkin Park, since I was a child, has provided me with a sonic landscape that brought me comfort. One More Light is the EPITOME of this trend. To experience this last week with an album full of hope from a band that has meant more to me than simply music, has been touching. The symbolism of all this is beyond words for me, so I'll leave it at that.

My strongest memory listening to a Linkin Park album was when I was 11 and listening to Meteora for the first time on Christmas day back in 2003. I already loved Linkin Park, but listening to Meteora was the most exciting thing I had ever experienced. I still remember how I felt the first time I listened to Breaking the Habit. Each LP album since then has been fantastic, and I've loved every album cycle and album itself. However, while they've been great in their own right, none have captured me the same way Meteora did until One More Light dropped last week. It may take my spot as top LP album. Only time will tell. It could very well be driven by emotions more than music. I don't know if I can discern right now. But honestly that point is irrelevant. This is some of Linkin Park's finest work.

Song by song, these are my impressions:

Nobody Can Save Me - Beautiful opener. For an album like this, they didn't need a banger. They needed something with a somber, mellow, and soothing vibe. That's what this song is. It flows, and Chester sounds fantastic. This is in the running for my favorite song on the album.

Good Goodbye - More amazing melodies. The instrumentation jives with the rest of the album. The rapping is nothing special, and truthfully I would've rather just had Mike do multiple verses, but because it's the only song with any rapping on it from Mike, I suppose I'm able to enjoy it more for what it is.

Talking to Myself - The heavy track. The sounds are appealing, the chorus is catchy, and Chester gets to flex his range a bit. More importantly, the lyrics, like many on this album, paint a very heavy picture.

Battle Symphony - I don't know that Chester has ever sounded as good as he does on this track. This song also oozes that uplifting essence this album is based around. It works really well near the middle of the album, several tracks away from NCSM.

Invisible - I'm in love with Mike's two songs. From his deep emo rapping on HT and Meteora to beautiful melodies and harmonies sung for his family. This song demonstrates the growth LP has achieved over the years. Absolutely in love with the line "I'll pick you up right off the ground."

Heavy - I listened to this song too many times when it first came out lol. I think this song is much better in the context of the album than it is on its own. Kiiara DEFINITELY adds some nice variety to the flow of the album, and I appreciate having her much more when listening to the album front to back than I did when the single first dropped. Still extremely catchy.

Sorry For Now - Another top album contender. It's so easy to tell this song received special production treatment. The vocal drops and "beeps" and "bloops" that are scattered throughout the songs add so much flavor on top of an already catchy song. Also...Chester's rap is dope. The final chorus also has that "payoff" moment. It sounds big. I love it.

Halfway Right - I love the "All you said to do was slow down. I remember. Now I remember" bit. It's beautiful. It goes without saying this is an extremely personal song, and I love how Chester goes from singing "grungy" during the verses, to "uplifting" in the pre-chorus, to almost "frustrated" during the chorus. I like the way this song shifts gears so frequently. The ONLY gripe I have is that the "Na na na's" would've sounded much better with the actual words for that particular melody. "na na na's" work really well in some songs, but I didn't feel like they quite fit here.

One More Light - Yes. I have teared up to this song. It's beautiful, the melody is fantastic, it's littered with amazing and delicate symbolism. This is the best "slow song" LP has ever made.

Sharp Edges - This is probably my favorite song on the album. People keep saying it sounds like a "hootenanny" or "happy". I completely get a different vibe from this song. The chord progression gives this song, especially in the chorus, a VERY somber and reflective vibe. Even the lyrics support this. This is not a jolly song, this is a song about reflecting on the mistakes one has taken throughout their life, and realizing they may have been unavoidable. It's not a hopeless sound, but it's far from joyful. I also LOVE the bridge, as well as the "wind" sound that gusts at the end of the song, leaving you with a heavy sensation that the album is over.

As a whole, I think this album makes for a better listening experience than any before it. Even without a concept behind the album, or transitions from one song to the other, I think this is their best album when played in its entirety. It's short enough to not feel like a chore, but long enough to hit you with a lot of different feelings and emotions.

I'm not going to rank this album, as I realize that the newness will take months to finally wear off. But my first impressions of this album are strong, and continue to make me proud to be a Linkin Park fan after 17 years.

It's been a joy, as it has been since 2009 when I first signed up here, to share in this album's release with those of you that feel the same way. The "hardcore" LP fanbase isn't one you can easily find out in a public area, and none of my family or friends fall under that umbrella, so it brings me some release to be able to come here and talk about this with other people who are just as die-hard about the band as I am.

I don't think I've ever thanked you, Derek, but this website has given me many opportunities to express my feelings about the band and hear the perspective of others who also feel strongly about their music. So, thank you. Each album cycle has filled me with so much excitement and anticipation, and you and your staff have made it a joy every single time. You do a lot for Linkin Park fans.

Thanks for listening to my thoughts, everybody.

Andreina, minuteforce, Blake and 2 others like this.
  17. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

18. Dyl

Dyl Well-Known Member

#1 yes!!

19. Foreshadowed_LP

Foreshadowed_LP Well-Known Member

So pleased for the band for regaining their #1 spot, a great achievement for in my opinion, a really great album.

20. wattmatters

Beautiful review man ! I second you on your thoughts about the album :clap:
    This album is really good.