Linkin Park - One More Light | Release Day Thread

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, May 18, 2017.

1. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Yeah, I would hate it if LP just borrowed from trendy music.

Hybrid Theory - an album capitalizing on the super popular nu-metal movement of combining rap vocals with rock instrumentations.
    Meteora - an album capitalizing on the super popular Hybrid Theory and cloning it nearly song-for-song.
    Minutes to Midnight - an album capitalizing on the resurgence of more traditional alternative rock.
    A Thousand Suns - an album capitalizing on the growing popularity of electronic-based music.
    LIVING THINGS - an album capitalizing on revitalizing the sound that the majority of their fans want while also trying to capitalize on the growing and popular singer-songwriter folk movement.
    The Hunting Party - an album that intentionally tries to cater to fans of heavy rock and metal music.

But you're right, I hate it when LP doesn't do something original!

Rhel likes this.
  2. Brawler

Brawler Well-Known Member

I really don't know what kind of genre will be the next album

3. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Eh, in my opinion, it doesn't need to be grandiose. There's nothing grandiose about losing a loved one, and it locks us into a mellow and sad mood, which I think the instrumentation greatly reflects. Plus, the song does evolve as it goes, gradually but it foes evolve (I love the added piano in the final chorus). I just think the song gets its message across fine.

4. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

the first verse sounds like a suicide to me or real close to it, then the first line of the chorus "i wanna feel wide awake now" i get the impression that means he wants to be in the afterlife which is most likely better than this shit hole we live in.

5. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I hope the next album is MTM part 2 or Trance Linkin Park

6. Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

I agree with the first verse sounding like a suicide note, but I don't really think the pre-chorus means about the afterlife to me. Rather, it's more to do with enlightenment of the mind, that's why some people say they feel renewed or their 'eyes are awake/clear' both mind and body after going on a spiritual journey of some sort to find themselves. Especially when you consider the outro:

And only I can save me now
    I'm holding up a light
    Chasing out the darkness inside
    And I don't wanna let you down
    But only I can save me!

The bold lines pretty much says the the person in inner turmoil can only save him/herself, while subconsciously knowing he/she has people worrying/supporting him/her. That's my interpretation of the song basically.

You and me both. :thumbsup:

I'm hoping for a reggae or folk-inspired album. :p

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  7. Vic

Vic No game no life

So after a good amount of listens I will rate the songs, NCSM changed from "ehh" to my favorite, that's crazy.
    So far:

Favorite: Nobody Can Save Me
    Amazing: Talking to Myself, Invisible, Sorry for Now, Halfway Right, One More Light, Sharp Edges
    Good: Good Goodbye, Battle Symphony
    "ehh": Heavy

Very solid album, won't complain if they take this route again but that might be impossible with this band.
    This album really made me more open for more musical genres, I was very worried when Heavy was released but now I'm glad they took this route. You did it again LP :fedora:

Halfway Dwight likes this.
  8. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Scans of the UK physical tell a different story

Foreshadowed_LP likes this.
  9. cloudscream

cloudscream Static

I hope this album is just an aberration. LIVING THINGS is mostly pop, but this one is so hard to like because it's so bland. If this was not from LP, I wouldn't have listened to every track in the album.

Looking forward to their next album to NOT sound like OML.

One More Light - tried to capitalize on the current music trend, but resulted in an unambitious, terrible album.

Right? Right.

It's sad when defenders of OML latch onto anything, even to faulty logic, red herrings, and horrible sarcasm, simply to fend off criticism of a bad record.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Michele likes this.
  10. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

Since they're doing lyrics first in this new album, I hope they will continue this approach for LP8 or any future releases. I know they mastered the old approach for a long time but this new approach will give them more creative freedom in developing and crafting the music. Hoping for more collaborations in the next album cycle. I want to see LP work with Jason Mraz, Hayley Williams, Coldplay, Echosmith, etc.

wattmatters likes this.
  11. Flozuki

Flozuki LPA VIP LPA VIP

OML defends the peak position the second day in a row on the worldwide Itunes album charts. I would have never thought that and I am amazed they can still pull out such a successful album.

Blake likes this.
  12. Blake

Nice!

Can't wait until Hits Daily Double updates on Tuesday so we can see how the album is doing on the Billboard 200

13. Rajjo

Rajjo FAN FROM INDIA

though the band will always progress in a genre of their choice..... I'd love it if they touch "alternative" genre to its deepest core..... something like ALT-j, silversun pickups, tame Impala, cage the elephant, etc...... with really good pronounced bass lines and all other guitar work revolving around that..... let Dave lead on the next album.... for once please.

ashish likes this.
  14. Nimz Lp

Nimz Lp niimz94

It dropped to #2 on iTunes. #1 is Harry Styles album.

15. Paree

Paree I love my scars!

Imo, One More Light= Minutes to Midnight x Living Things + Elements from modern pop -Wall of guitar.

lpfaneki likes this.
  16. Flozuki

Flozuki LPA VIP LPA VIP

The iTunes charts are updated more often daily (every few hours I think). You have to check http://kworb.net/ for cumulative "numbers" (album charts: http://kworb.net/aww/).

Nimz Lp likes this.
  17. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Oh well, good for him since his album is pretty impressive. :)

By the way, when was Harry Styles' album released in the US? Wasn't it out the same day as Paramore's?

18. Blake

Yes. It debuted #1 last week in the U.S.

19. wattmatters

wattmatters Well-Known Member

Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 12.55.36 PM.png

Plays till Now. :D :D

bogdan971 likes this.
  20. Nimz Lp

Nimz Lp niimz94

Yes it was released last week and had an impressive sale of 220k+.
    I'm hoping for OML to debut at #1 and have a good 200K sale since THP first week sale was just 110+ down from LT 220K.