Linkin Park - Heavy feat. Kiiara Lyric Video

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 16, 2017.

1. tripleh3lix

tripleh3lix Well-Known Member

Agreed. As much as I liked it.. I've taken a few more listens. It's a rather mainstream and crappy track, specially compared to all the pop/rock music evolving and finding tracks that are incredibly epic now. And it makes me scared for the album if Mike said this song represents it. Being 10 songs, we only have 9 songs to look forward to, and that's if ones not an interlude. Maybe I won't be waiting as much as I have been the last 7 album cycles and expect the worst, but hope to be impressed when it's out.

I've defended them since day 1. From people who now hate them, to people who became fans after MTM. I've loved all of their albums minus a few tracks on LT. This is a downgrade, even for a poppy Linkin Park. And I don't think I would've ever said that about a song before coming from LP.. as a fan who has defended them to no end.

frezer86 likes this.
  2. shadowofthehabit92

shadowofthehabit92 Well-Known Member

I felt like this song was more of a Kiira song featuring Linkin Park. I don't absolutely hate it, because I think Kiira's voice sounds really good on this song, but I don't love the direction they've taken.I've been a fan since 2005 so I have experienced all the drastic changes from album to album. I hope One More Light ends up being a lot better than I'm expecting at this moment.

Bane likes this.
  3. thor

thor Well-Known Member

I mean if people continue to wait for a sound that I assume they know won't happen again of course they're gonna be disappointed. Sometimes you gotta, "Let it gooo!"

4. ciao_fiv

ciao_fiv We Are Still Humanz

I'm a little disappointed as well, but I have hopes that another Fort Minor album will happen eventually. I can get my Mike rapping fix from that :D

Deliveranze likes this.
  5. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

Chester is singing either alone or together with Kiiara on more than 50% of the track, and it's his voice that opens the song.

6. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

To be fair, you probably shouldn't have to hold up a sonic magnifying glass to a song in order to enjoy it. Enjoy it more, maybe, but all that just to "like" the track seems like a lot of work.

frezer86 likes this.
  7. Reanimate02

Reanimate02 Well-Known Member

Like... so many of us got into Linkin Park because it was different to mainstream pop, now they're becoming mainstream pop?

This just blows my mind..

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    crazygolfer likes this.
  8. shadowofthehabit92

shadowofthehabit92 Well-Known Member

True. I just felt like she outshines Chester on this track.

I'm very interested to hear the rest of the album, especially One More Light, since it's a piano/acoustic song.

Bane and crazygolfer like this.
  9. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I think what people who aren't impressed with Heavy are trying to say is that ever since Minutes to Midnight, there's been a progression to Linkin Park's sound, the lead singles have arguably demonstrated this admirably:

What I've Done - Classic Linkin Park sound wrapped up in a new alternative landscape.
    The Catalyst - Exploring new boundaries in song structure, length, lyrical content, and vocal delivery while removing once quintessential Linkin Park elements such as heavy guitars, angst and aggression.
    Burn It Down - Combining the above two albums to create an electronic rock sound that is uniquely Linkin Park. Living Things itself could have been a self-titled album.
    Guilty All The Same - Ascending to new heights on a technical level with complex instrumentation, a two-minute buildup, a legendary guest artist, and finally accepting guitar solos while throwing lead vocals onto the back burner to let the instruments carry a song

What's new and progressive that Heavy brings to Linkin Park's repertoire? It's catchy as fuck and I can't get it out of my head and I WANT to love it. But for a song meant to be honest and emotionally compelling... it feels rather soulless to me.

10. MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

LP has always hated Pop music from my understanding, so basically LP took what they hated and made it apart of them, now it will never go away

Artur likes this.
  11. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

They were mainstream rock with huge pop elements in them. It's why so many metal lovers hate LP because of their poppy side. So, people really need to stop acting as tho LP were never poppy. They always were. It's why Mike's comments during THP were not treated seriously even by the fanbase.

What really has changed in this song is Chester's singing style. If he was singing like he did all these years with more angst, less number of people would be disappointed. Musically, we have heard such things from LP before. The real difference is Chester's vocals and the addition of Kiiara (which does not matter for the album as a whole given how no other song in the album features an artist).

You've got to hand it to the band for this. They didn't just change one or two things to make it sound slightly new. They changed the entire sound, sonically, just like they did with the music back with ATS. They really went all out and I think THAT is the reason why this album needs to be heard before people go off branding them anything.

Also, the live version of this song made me really like it now. Chester is singing well and I'm so happy about that.

12. Artur

Artur Member

if this lyric video is a cut version of the song. So in the album we will have an intro. (just dreaming).

13. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Video already has over 1 million views and it hasn't even been 24 hours!

I really hope this song blows up :D

Linkin Park deserves it!

ciao_fiv, Sasuke, Deliveranze and 2 others like this.
  14. crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

#goLPgo

15. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Bro, I really hope so. :lol: At least there is some rapping. Better than none. :p

16. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

After a few listens, I don't think the overall sound is vastly different from some things they've done in the past (Lies Greed Misery, the 4 or 5 softer songs from Minutes to Midnight, etc.).

I think the shock value in this track in the unexpected length (I thought it'd be longer), and the vocals. Chester's delivery is completely different from any studio release and it really reminds me of that time they did that jingle for Weeds.

Also, if this song didn't have Kiiara tied to it, I don't think it would be getting so much hate or labeled as "pop shit". Her female vocals really soften and brighten up this song which, is otherwise, pretty sad. If it were all Chester or was a call-and-response between he and Mike, it would be grouped in with those other songs I listed above.

I also really believe that the entire album won't be "pop shit". When Mike talked about how Heavy is what the album sounds like, I really think he meant vocal delivery. Not saying there won't be other poppy songs on the album, but they've hammered us with how much they've been working on vocals this time around, so I think it's just that. No screaming makes me believe this as well, and I think we are in for a really chill album, more so than Minutes to Midnight.

I just wish people would calm the fuck down here. Some are really bringing the YouTube/Facebook idiocracy to these forums and it's a drag to go through.

Halfway Dwight, Ree, Sasuke and 3 others like this.
  17. ciao_fiv

ciao_fiv We Are Still Humanz

I've gotta say I'm real happy about this

Sasuke and Bane like this.
  18. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I just want to make sure...in the bridge where the final "And I drive myself crazy, thinking everything's about me", that's Chester doing that high part, right? In the live version, I thought that was so sick when Chester really got up there to hit that. I'm pretty sure it's him, but it's turned down a bit in the mix so I wanna be sure lol.

EDIT: I'm also curious about the second chorus. It sounds like mostly Kiiara. Can anyone pick out if Chester's back there in that second chorus anywhere?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  19. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

20. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Is it me or does the melody in the "Holding On..." part sounds a lot like this part of See You Again?