"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

1. TEGCRocco

TEGCRocco The LPL Invader

Yeah, this track is just kind of there. Nothing to really say about it. Definitely agree with it being the most pointless interlude.

2. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I dont really know what to think about The Summoning. As already mentioned, it feels so out of place. But i think the last few seconds with the "Run Run Run" are a cvool interlude to "War"

Captain-EO likes this.
  3. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

The Summoning's intended purpose doesn't work. At all. Especially since THP is supposed to be a relentless thrashing rock album. We don't need a break to collect ourselves. GATS should have segued straight into the feedback and War started. The Summoning jars with that all. It's just about as pointless as Empty Spaces. Especially with the baseball clip. It could've worked at least decently if the resampled power chords had led straight to War. But instead this random clip that makes absolutely no sense interrupts the album flow.

I like the instrumental for The Summoning. It's alright. However, its placement (and length) is just one of those things that makes you question Linkin Park's decision-making. Had it been something more akin to Drawbar, a full-fledged instrumental, it would have been a great fit in my opinion.

4. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I think it was put in the album to give it a sense of spontaneity. They probably want to get away from the very rehearsed, and strict feel of the albums before. Also probably thrown in to keep the album from being overly dark and serious.

Captain-EO likes this.
  5. TEGCRocco

I disagree with that. Sure, Empty Spaces shouldn't have been separated as its own track, but the track/idea itself fits in thematically with the album. It could have been tacked onto BITS or WTCFM, but the track isn't "pointless" when listening to the album as a whole. The Summoning doesn't mesh thematically, and it actually clashes pretty strongly with the initial run of songs on THP.

Iopia likes this.
  6. Captain-EO

The point was just as Empty Spaces is pointless as a slot in the tracklist, so is The Summoning.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  7. IronDust71

IronDust71 Well-Known Member

Wow I thought The Summoning was pretty much liked over here, I feel lonely. :lol:
    Somehow, I feel like THP would have been like... a big rush of 40 minutes in which the listener could not rest himself without this track.
    Although, this instrumental could have had a little more depth (in its role of interlude as well).

Tocaraca likes this.
  8. Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

I missed Guilty All The Same, since for some reason I'm no longer getting email notifications of replies to this topic, but oh well.
    GATS has an amazing intro and outro (I love the guitar + drums), and I relatively enjoy the verses and chroruses. I love Rakim's verse and I was always disappointed when it ends, back when I listened to LP a lot more.
    The Summoning sounds cool IMO. It could do without the baseball clip but I can't think of any other way for War to be introduced after GATS.
    I was thinking the the song would be cool with the beating sound in some of the A Thousand Suns interludes (the first 2 songs, and Jordana Del Mertulo (whatever the fuck it's called). I agree it's a bit pointless, but many interludes are like this and they could also be considered pointless.

Michele likes this.
  9. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Since we changed forum software, old notifications might not work anymore. Just click "Watch thread" at the top of this page and select "and receive email notifications" and you'll get the emails.

Tocaraca likes this.
  10. Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

Thanks! I re-watched it and chose to recieve emails. It should work now :D

11. GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

Duh.

Tocaraca likes this.
  12. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Yeah this track does nothing at all for me. If I listen to Powerless, a lot of times I'll start by playing Tinfoil, because I enjoy that interlude, it's nice. If I ever chose to listen to War, I never play The Summoning. In fact, I always skip the song whenever it comes up. It's just so uninteresting.

TEGCRocco and Captain-EO like this.
  13. Captain-EO

Hell, I even play Empty Spaces before When They Come for Me. :lol:

14. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

We really gonna roast a fucking interlude :lol:

brady, Tocaraca, Iopia and 1 other person like this.
  15. TEGCRocco

What else did you expect? :halfkappa:

EDIT: Oh, there's an actual halfkappa thing, now? Cool.

Tocaraca likes this.
  16. GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

#manurlate

Captain-EO likes this.
  17. Captain-EO

What a dummy.

Much late. Many unknown. :doge:

18. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

NOTHING IS SACRED :devil:

19. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

That's nothing, I play Empty Spaces on its own.

Tocaraca and Captain-EO like this.
  20. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Why not? We've had great interludes in the past, no reason to not point out that this one is far less great than others.

I personally like the soundscape of it and everything, but I hate the baseball sample it drops into. I also am not a fan of the interlude between All for Nothing and GATS, but since that's already there, I guess I don't really care about this one as much. I would prefer no "4th-wall-breaking" of any kind, and Mike talking to Rob/Brad, and a random sample about baseball change the aesthetic a lot to me. I can appreciate that kind of thing to an extent, and I think it was well-executed here, but I prefer the more "cinematic" style of Drawbar - FM or Tinfoil - Powerless, or all of ATS. Considering how brutal the end of GATS is, I think the idea of a break between the two songs was a good idea.