Mike & Brad share Studio Update #6 in podcast form

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, Jul 28, 2016.

wolflink

wolflink I feel very privileged in debt for my thirst

All i want is a progressive rock album.
    Take all the time you want.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

They don't even have the theme/direction of the album figured out yet. They literally JUST started putting live instruments (beyond the basic tracks used in initially composing the words/melodies) on these tracks within the last couple weeks. To me that says that they still don't have ONE song done, let alone being anywehre close to completing the record. That's not magically going to change in a month. I'm not expecting anything before December, and the holiday season's a terrible time to drop a single anyway so they'll probably wait until 2017 regardless.

Evan likes this.
    AndreyKamensky

AndreyKamensky hakuna matata

Sounds like MTM part II.

Emiltayeb

Emiltayeb Well-Known Member

and it all i want in my life.

AndreyKamensky likes this.
    HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

MTM was supposed to be released in May or June 2006 IIRC, but finally it was released in May 2007. After a whole year. So I won't be surprised if this album is released mid-2017 or somewhere that year.

Josh

Josh Met LP 8-13-14 LPA VIP

My guess is single in march 2017, album releases may 2017.

I don't mind these studio updates. Sure they might not have much info, but it's better than nothing like the THP cycle.

Evan and AndreyKamensky like this.
    Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

To be fair, the music industry was a whole different animal during that era. Things are released at the snap of a finger these days. There's no middle man standing in the way of singles and album's being released, for the most part, now.

Not trying to discredit anything you're saying because you make a good point. Just saying that things have changed dramatically since that time.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    Captain-EO likes this.
    brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

*Beginning of album cycle*
    "They should go on another hiatus"

*now*
    "Ughhh where's the new music, I expect an album this year"

I know that's not everyone, but still, oh how things have changed as time progresses and we just want to hear what they're cooking up :lol:

Captain-EO likes this.
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I wouldn't be unhappy if they went on a hiatus right now, I'm just not chomping at the bit for that to happen like I was before

HybridT

I know, you're completely right. I was just saying that I won't be surprised if the album is delayed. But something that surprise me is that in the pre-MTM era, everybody was complaining about the long wait, but now it seems that actually everyone wants the band to take all their time and we don't mind the waiting.

minuteforce

For some people, I suppose what's changed is that we've seen what happens when the band makes albums at a relatively quick pace.

HybridT

Yeah, that makes sense.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

There's never been an official release date to delay though.

The difference there, the MTM wait was a little over 4 years, if I recall correctly, we were all younger and a lot more impatient. THP came out just a little over 2 years ago. There are albums I've been waiting for from other bands (that I probably bring up too much) for way longer than even 4 years, so the 2 years since THP seems like nothing by comparison.

There's no time limit on a creative process of course. For example it's only taken Mikael Akerfeldt 5-6 months to write the new Opeth record (and 12 days to record it). Then you have bands like Tool where it takes years for them to get things finished.

Some bands can knock out quality albums every 2 years, but in my experience they tend to be on the smaller side with much shorter tours and lesser business/media obligations and therefore more time to write (Scale the Summit for example).

I don't mind the wait, really. Just put out your best material. As Adam Jones says "It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good".

minuteforce

Adding to my earlier point - we've also seen what happens if the band crafts an album slowly and leaves a bigger gap between releases.

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

True, although there were other projects like Collision Course and Fort Minor which helped fill the gap. Other then Welcome and one or two collaborations (Garrix + Lonely Island) there hasn't been a lot going on recently. Don't mind the wait though, as long as it turns out to be worth it.

Vinifeijo

Vinifeijo i'm dancing with matt damons

It's like George R.R. Martin and his books. This shit takes time.

On the other hand, there are Stephen Hawking's out there that can put out good albuns every year.

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

To be honest, I don't really mind the longer wait this time around. It seems to me that the band is much more at ease this album cycle, and does not feel obligated to rush out material for the sake of rushing. I would rather them take their time, and attempt to create some of their finest work yet, especially if they're serious about the new direction regarding lyrics. I am quite hopeful that LP will use new lyrical themes and more complex rhyming schemes, all while not sacrificing instrumental quality.

Deliveranze likes this.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

This is pretty much is how I feel. The band is at a point in their careers where they've already released 6 albums. They're not some new band with barely any material out there, or a veteran band who hasn't had a hit in ages, who need to rush music out to stay relevant. Their songs still chart, and much of their older material still gets played frequently on the radio.

At this point they can afford to take things a little slower, and make what they feel is their 'best work'. We have 14 years (2000 to 2014) worth of material to hold us over till the next album drops. They need to go at their own pace. Make this album what they're wanting to to be.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    Iopia likes this.
    UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

There's enough new music to keep my ears occupied before they drop their new stuff, so really they can take as much time as they need to make a kickass record

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Especially seeing as they've already been in the studio since, what, November or something? An extra 6 months or so isn't going to kill us, but it sure is a lot of time for them to perfect their music and make something truly worthwhile. The band have covered so many sounds and styles over their career, all I want is for them to break out of the "collection of 3 minute songs" mentality on this album, something they've only done so far on ATS, an album that took a similar amount of time to write as this one seems to be taking. A band like Linkin Park who are so efficient at writing in that style need time to break out of that, so the longer the wait the more optimistic I get that this album could be something really special.