Sophomore Jinx?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by acetaminophen, Feb 9, 2004.

emmmers

emmmers Super Member LPA Super Member

I think the biggest part was that Hybrid Theory was good. Way too good. I'd even say it was impossible to top. I think many "hardcore" fans were dissapointed when LP chose to expand more on their softer songs in Meteora (Numb, breaking the habit, etc.) and stranded what got them there in the first place, which was their originality with a perfect mix between screaming and rapping. There's waay too much Chester on Meteora, while a lot less of Mike.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

I agree. Even on the EP they found a way to balance them out on each song. Step Up is the only song that doesn't really. High Voltage remix works in Chester beautifully. But it's like they weren't trying hard enough. I like Chester but I'm a rap/rock guy. If I want Chester I'll listen to Grey Daze. I listen to songs and analyze them. "Oh sweet sample and nice guitar riff. Chester's lyrics rock. I can't wait for Mike's part." or "Mike's killing the rhymes I can't wait for Chester's part." And if there's too much Chester and Mike sucks or vice versa it just ruins the whole song for me.

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

Iam not trying to diss the band or anything but the thing I dont understand is if they made over 40 chorus's for SIB, thats what they put out, like come on.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

I say if there were that many, they should have recorded those and released them as b-sides on singles :whistle:.

But the fans' ideas are never taken into consideration when it comes to releasing music anymore, is it? :lol:

intheend1004

intheend1004 Well-Known Member

producers are there for a second opinion, don makes decisions for the band and goes with them

akorch16

akorch16 Active Member

im sorry, but no one here has a clue what theyre talking about. you can say you didnt like the meteora, and hybrid theory was better, or that linkin park sucks, but you cant say anymore.
    you cant say the two albums sound the same, because they didnt. theres no way papercut, one step closer, or any track on hybrid theory would be able to blend in with meteora. and like someone said earlier, look at nobodys listening... or look at hit the floor. theres no way any track on hybrid theory sounds like those two, and if there is, i havent heard it yet.
    number two, you cant say gilemore screwed it up. lp picked him as a producer, if they didnt like him, they wouldnt have picked him. also, i think all of you are forgetting that he suggested putting live strings on breaking the habit. i dont think anyone hear would agree that was a mistake.
    number three, you cant say warner brothers screwed it up, because i havent heard a true fact about it. theres been no complaints from linkin park about warner brothers, so i dont see what they are doing wrong in respect with linkin parks music. if someone has a quote from anyone in the band that proves otherwise, i want to know what it is.
    number four, stop making generalizations. you cant keep saying that 'hardcore' fans dont like meteora, because you dont know that. you can say that you didnt like the album, but you cant make that big of a generalization. because for for starters, im a hardcore fan and i liked the album.
    number five, if you dont like the album, dont post in the meteora section to complain about it. i would have thought the mods here wouldve done a better job editing out complaint threads.

if lp were doing something wrong, i dont think they would have had three singles to hit the top of the modern rock charts, and the third best selling album of 2003. you gotta do something right to accomplish something like that

so until anyone here has REAL facts, instead of basing their facts on opinions, (quotes from the band, quotes from warner brothers, quotes from don gilemore)i suggest that this thread is closed because it is pointless. its like arguing over which kind of ice cream flavor is better....

Justin V.

Number one. Guys like you STILL don't get what we're talking about. Meteora and HT are NOTHING alike music wise. We're talking about the backbones of the albums. The song structures. And we agree that not every song on Meteora is made like one on HT and vice versa.

Number 2. Just because LP and Don like the music they make doesn't mean you will, so of course we can say he screwed it up, just like you say we can't say it. "He put live strings on Breaking The Habit." Oh so what!! 1 step forward, 2 steps back is what he's doing for LP.

Number 3. As I said, they like their music, we don't. Of course if any artist puts out an album they like it. That's common sense. Doesn't mean the fans like it. And who said we're basing this on fact? We're stating our opinions. Wait, let me repeat. Weeee aaaare staaaating oooour opinion.

Number 4 and 5. We wouldn't be fans if we didn't complain. What kind of idiot blindly likes whatever he gets? It's natural to have qualms about something. Think what the world would be like if no one complained. We'd all go insane because there'd be a lot more crap floating around than there is now. Edit out complaint threads? That's stupid. A complaint is just the other end of a spectrum. A complaint is one, a complimemt is other. So if the admins should delete "I hate Meteora" threads they should delete "Meteora is the best album ever" threads too.

My time is wasted so I'm done. Good bye and thank you for the post. :whistle:

Snoo

Snoo Well-Known Member

It's only a 'truly great' album if you listen to it? I disagree. I like Meteora, and if that doesn't make me a hardcore fan then so be it, I guess I'm not as big of a fan as Will because I actually like the album.

I'm not trying to be rude or controversial here, I'm simply putting in my own opinion along with everyone else here. I like having discussions like this, because there usually aren't any teenies butting in saying "wtf u guyz meteora rox", unlike on many certain message boards. I am, however, a little bit annoyed by all this Don Gilmore bashing. Yes, it's an opinion. That's perfectly fair, but just like Akorch_16 said, LP is satisfied with it and they wouldn't have chosen him if they thought he was setting them back. I, personally, am uncertain about what exactly he does, what he's changed. I've said it before, I'll say it again. Unless you have something to judge him about, unless you are one hundred percent sure about every little thing he has changed, don't judge him. For all we know, it was Chester and Mike who rewrote those lyrics. We can't judge people unless the matter is based on fact, because that's called prejudism.

Also, don't forget that HT was probably worked on more than Meteora. Meteora came together within about two years. Somewhere I Belong and Breaking the Habit were worked on, as far as we know, for a longer period of time than most of the other ones, such as Numb, as it states in the lyric book thing. A Place For My Head came together through three different bands. They had alot of time there to fix any mistakes. With Meteora, they had to get it out on time because of the demand for it.

Now, I've said what I wanted to say. I don't expect a single one of you to agree since this is my opinion. I have mine, you have yours. I'm willing to listen to all of them, but not without putting in my two cents because I'm nosy :p

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

No. I meant, if it was a great album, I would listen to it a lot more. But since it's not a great album, I don't listen to it all the time.

I never said it's only a great album if I listen to it. That's hardly what I said. And it's not even close to what I meant.

I also never said that people aren't big fans of the band just because they like it.

Snoo

Snoo Well-Known Member

No. I meant, if it was a great album, I would listen to it a lot more. But since it's not a great album, I don't listen to it all the time.

I never said it's only a great album if I listen to it. That's hardly what I said. And it's not even close to what I meant.

I also never said that people aren't big fans of the band just because they like it. [/b][/quote]
    Fine then. I apologise :)

Justin V.

I think this could all be solved if we heard some freakin' demos or b-sides!!! With HT we could judge the changes because a lot of the songs had demos. And the b-sides rocked but they didn't smash anything on the album so we were content with it. I went it to Meteora like "I'm gonna listen to this great album and then get the demos and b-sides to see how they evolved the song." But I only got half of that. And that other missing half is nagging me and making me suspicious and stuff. That's why I personally don't like Gilmore. It's like they're hiding the material from us. But I don't care that much. I'll still be buying the next CD.

akorch16

akorch16 Active Member

i think this incessent complaining is really annoying and the mods should take some initiative and close this thread

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

Why? There's a perfectly fine debate going on here. No one's being flamed for their opinions, and no one's going comepletely fanatical in their belief's (at least from what I can tell from this page alone). As far as I can see, there's no reason for it to be closed.

EDIT: And the only reason why you want it to be closed is because you were just shot down by |2awk.Star. Look, if this is the way you're going to act in a debate, then don't even bother posting here.

akorch16

akorch16 Active Member

Number one. Guys like you STILL don't get what we're talking about. Meteora and HT are NOTHING alike music wise. We're talking about the backbones of the albums. The song structures. And we agree that not every song on Meteora is made like one on HT and vice versa.

Number 2. Just because LP and Don like the music they make doesn't mean you will, so of course we can say he screwed it up, just like you say we can't say it. "He put live strings on Breaking The Habit." Oh so what!! 1 step forward, 2 steps back is what he's doing for LP.

Number 3. As I said, they like their music, we don't. Of course if any artist puts out an album they like it. That's common sense. Doesn't mean the fans like it. And who said we're basing this on fact? We're stating our opinions. Wait, let me repeat. Weeee aaaare staaaating oooour opinion.

Number 4 and 5. We wouldn't be fans if we didn't complain. What kind of idiot blindly likes whatever he gets? It's natural to have qualms about something. Think what the world would be like if no one complained. We'd all go insane because there'd be a lot more crap floating around than there is now. Edit out complaint threads? That's stupid. A complaint is just the other end of a spectrum. A complaint is one, a complimemt is other. So if the admins should delete "I hate Meteora" threads they should delete "Meteora is the best album ever" threads too.

My time is wasted so I'm done. Good bye and thank you for the post. :whistle: [/b][/quote]
    fine ill respond. i just thought this was all getting a little too repeatitive.

1) didnt see anything about the 'backbone' of the album, or the song structures in this thread or any other thread. if im wrong, give me a quote of someone that said anything about backbones or song structures. and i think having sub-par song structures should not be the deciding factor between two albums

2) irrelevent. i said that don gilemore was not to blame for meteora. you didnt actually address that. in fact, you didnt say anything that had any real proof to back up your opinion (if you want to call it that). what is the two steps back he did for linkin park? so far i havent seen/heard anything he has done wrong. (again a quote would be nice to prove that he did do something wrong)

3) this statement made no sense. what i got out of it was this: linkin park likes their music, but "we" don't (generalization maybe). apparently the fans dont like the music either (spelling out my point where i said to stop making generalizations). and because you dont like it... thats an opinion (?). if you can restate it, please do, because i cant understand what your saying.

4) in case you havent noticed, the mods have been deleting 'meteora is the best album ever' threads. i think its annoying and im sure everyone else does to. i agree with you on everything else though, that a little natural complaining is fine (but just gets old, tired, and annoying after awhile).

HARLEYsheXda

HARLEYsheXda Well-Known Member

it's the s**tty world out there!

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

What'd that have to do with this topic...? :huh:...

:mellow:

...:wth:

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

Easier2Run

Easier2Run Member

I think the opinion on which album you like more depends on who you are and what other music you like. Like for me, I tend to like meteora a little more because more of the music is the style I like. As for HT, ya I like it, but there were just some songs that werent the style that I like. Now this was back when i didnt really know much about music or pay much attention to the lyrics. As I have grown to love LP I've payed more attention the the lyrics on both albums and think they are equally great in their own respects. But hey, who cares, we all love LP right? :kicking:

hah, oh well, i'll buy whatever album they put out next cause i have faith in them and i believe they will make it equally as great as the previous if not better :chemist:

HARLEYsheXda

HARLEYsheXda Well-Known Member

S**tty, with all those ridiculous opinion about LP.. but it's still an opinion... can't stop 'em from flooding the net... duh...