A Thousand Suns General Discussion

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Jaba, Aug 13, 2014.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

One word:

Perfection.

There's a reason it was compared to Dark Side of the Moon.

Aden

Aden Well-Known Member

Ehh, it's a pretty good record, but I would put THP above it. I made the mistake of overplaying some of the individual tracks before I heard the album (mainly Blackout and When They Come for Me) which decreased my a appreciation of the album as a whole. I listened to the whole thing the other day, and I enjoyed it, but it's no Downward Spiral. Maybe it'll grow on me though...

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Regardless of what it's about, I just love the lyrics to When They Come For Me.

'Cause even a blueprint is a gift and a curse
    'Cause once you got the theory of how the thing works
    Everybody wants the next thing to be just like the first

My favorite part.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

That's how I've always seen it too. The sound is so lush and mellow and un-angsty, in contrast to the clearly angsty person the song is "reaching out" to. It almost feels a bit sarcastic in some places, like, "yes Timmy, I know your life as a 14 year old white middle-class American teenage boy is very very hard. but I promise it will be okay."

In that sense, I totally see it connected to When They Come For Me thematically. WTCFM is aimed at critics, Robot Boy is aimed at fans, or maybe even the band's past selves.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Thank you, Brandon. Hopefully Zlaja will understand what we're on about now.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I think you've hit the nail on the head here, Minus. It's hard for me to say, comparatively to the rest of the band's discography, that this album isn't excellent. In truth, it's an excellent record in comparison to everything else. If you were to ask me to create a top 10 list in regards to Linkin Park's best works, a majority of the songs on that list would fall on A Thousand Suns. It's just hard to ignore how much stronger the record is in comparison to all of the others. The lyrics, as a whole, are so much better. The song structures are, in large part, unconventional and as such keep the songs interesting. The band does a good job introducing certain lyrical and musical themes, and then bringing them forward and back. When you think of a conceptual album that is trying to make a serious point while at the same doing so through good songwriting, Linkin Park did pretty well here.

At the same time, we have to accept that in the context of the rest of the music world - Linkin Park hasn't hit their potential yet to be considered "good" or "great" along the likes of others. They've proven that they can take some risks and create a solid album, but when will they truly put everything on the line and try to raise the bar? A Thousand Suns is considered to be so good because none of the band's other albums (save maybe Reanimation) can even compete. However, there are bands out there who put out more solid albums consistently (e.g. Radiohead).

I want to disagree with you, Tony, but I see where you're coming from. For me, personally, I think The Hunting Party comes as advertised. It is the "hardest" album for Linkin Park, but at the same time I wouldn't call the album cohesive. The album really has three parts, and for me it goes downhill after "War." The first five songs, I think, are really indicative of what the album was trying to do (and I believe Chester has expressed as much). However, "Wastelands" and "Until It's Gone" to some extent sit on the opposite spectrum - they're largely uncreative and to me fall flat. "Rebellion" sits on its own, but it's hard for me to evaluate it because of how much it screams "System of a Down." Afterwards, I feel what the band was trying to do largely becomes lost. Save "Drawbar," and all of the other songs are either too conventional or try too hard to be different. "Mark the Graves" and "A Line in the Sand" have their moments but bounce around too much.

To me, The Hunting Party is much more an album of moments than A Thousand Suns is. I don't find it to be nearly as cohesive. I actually find the album frustrating in that I feel it really veered off course after the fifth track. The album to me *peaks* at "Guilty All the Same." That's how difficult this album is for me because I only sincerely love three tracks (the other two being "Keys to the Kingdom" and "War").

I'd be interested to hear how and why you feel the album is more cohesive, because for all I know I could be missing something.

They aren't bound to any one idea but I do think there is a concept to the album - and I believe the band has asserted as much. A Thousand Suns really reflects the distancing of humanity from what is humane (which takes place in a variety of different ways, from violence to the digital age to weapons of mass destruction) and really sort of asks the question of "Who besides us can save us?" Granted, that is my interpretation, but I think this may have been what the band was going for. It's a powerful album in that way, and with the implementation of the quotes I think all of the songs fit into that context.

But you are absolutely right in that each of the songs goes a different way with it, and that's really a part of why I genuinely love this album. Every song is just a little different, some of which are talking about a much more concrete issue and some of which move away into personal feelings and emotions. Each song has a different feel and genre to it, which makes the album interesting. However, the band does well through the use of intervening themes to keep everything linked together. In that way, for me, the album is a strong one.

I am not going to disagree with anyone and say that the album is perfect, because it isn't. No album really is at the end of the day. I don't want to say it's over-rated, largely because for me it is one of my favorite albums. It's certainly Linkin Park's best effort for many of the reasons I've already described. I largely love it because to me it really showed the band at a vulnerable moment. Minutes to Midnight was in some way risky and certainly a miniature departure, but that album was not nearly as polarizing as A Thousand Suns was. I recently watched the "Meeting of A Thousand Suns" video, and it does a good job of showing some of the turmoil the band was going through close to the end. Chester's statement at the end is really indicative of where the band was, and I really want the band to be there again. The band at that point was really on the same page - they just didn't want to sit in the box that everyone made for them. And while I think the band still has that ethos (I mean, that's what The Hunting Party is), it's not coming from the entire band. This time, it came from Mike, and in some ways it made me a little uncomfortable.

I'm not going to say that everyone should like this album. I actually like that there are such a range of opinions, and I think the band likes that it triggered so many different feelings. I do hope everyone appreciates what the band was trying to do, though, and at least understands that in some way it had to be done. There's a really interesting storyline of the band that is carried through with these albums, showing that the band is sincerely trying to put music out there that no one else is really making.

At the same time, I think the band needs to delve back into the "how can we shake ourselves" mentality, again. Do what some other bands do and leave the country for a while and record the album somewhere else. Take the time to explore different influences and see how you can incorporate them into your music. For example, one of the things I love about Muse's album, Black Holes and Revelations, was that you could tell that each song came from a different place internally and geographically. The band had been around and recorded the album in different places, and you can see where each song came from to some extent. I think it'd be neat to see Linkin Park try that sort of thing.

I dno, I know my opinion is particular - but I just want to be able to put Linkin Park on in my car and have people ask, "Wait, who is this?" That's what A Thousand Suns was, and I want them to return to that form in some capacity.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

I get what are you trying to say, but I'm sticking to my theory.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

^Fair enough.

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

ATS is LP returning to Reanimation levels of awesome. Best album without a doubt.

Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

My second favorite album. It also has my favorite song from LP : Burning in the skies.

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

Also, A future gazing out, a past to overwrite. I love that part.

Honestly, though it is not like LP's other albums are bad lyrically. MTM, LT and THP have some shining moments. Personally, I think TLTGYA is the band's best song lyrically. While songs like OSC and SIB have cringe-worthy moments, a lot of the HT and Meteora songs are lyrically are at the worst, boring but not awful.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah! I've said before that "A Thousand Suns" is Linkin Park finally pulling off "Reanimation" with basically no outside help. :)

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Well, just about.

Rivendare

Rivendare Well-Known Member

It's a great album. But it could have used more "actual tracks" and less interludes. Empty Spaces? Why is this it's own track? Lyrically, A Thousand Suns is by far their best album. Otherwise it's their fourth best.

On another note, I'd like to hear examples of bands that are much better than just "okay", which many in thread are describing Linkin Park as. I assumed a LP fan forum would have many who consider LP one of their favorite bands. I thought wrong?

Paree

Paree I love my scars!

Completely agree with you.ATS is a freat album but its not the best.Yes i think LP is the best band.I am an Indian and many like me in India are big fans of LP.And LP hasn't really performed in India beside that its world famous and many don't know other bands(Referring to countries like India where Rock music is not popular). So it shows that LP is best band.And all the albums released by LP are god tier in my humble opinion.

minuteforce

LP are my all-time favourite band and there are some things that they do better than everyone else, yeah. But, in some areas, they are far from what I consider to be "the very best", I'm certainly not blind to that.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I basically have nothing to say in anything Linkin Park related 'cause you say everything that's on my mind.

Serox

Serox Active Member

I simply love it! (Especially the Lyrics) It's heaven to my ears. My favorite album.
    I love how everything goes so well! The intros & the songs. Their best made album.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

The album has its standouts in terms of tracks (Waiting For The End, Wretches and Kings, The Catalyst) and moments overall, but what it lacks in is energy. Not an easy album to take in for the average pop or rock listener. Has of a refined taste that obviously demands more than just guitars here and screaming there. Great album like anything else, but what makes me dislike it is the god status it is given by everyone here. The mistake a bunch of you make is comparing this to every single one of LP's other works which seems to hinder your enjoyment of other songs and albums, tho I don't refer this comment to everyone. Still, as I said before, its a great album just like anything else they tend to put out. Nothing to over hype about.

minuteforce

Are you just trying to appeal to people's egos here? :p