Mike Shinoda v. the state of rock music

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Filip, Feb 26, 2014.

Quack

Quack Well-Known Member

Well Coldplay would be one of the last bands I'd expect to bring back the cutting-edge hard "rock" Mike's been talking about so I don't see why that tweet would be Coldplay related. Coldplay has never really done that sort of music and I doubt they will ever because its really not their thing. Now if say, Foo Fighters (who from my knowledge are supposed to be putting out a new album this year) or a band along those lines had put out a song like that and Mike posted that tweet that I guess there could be correlation between them but I don't see it with Coldplay. I mean, the Jonas Brothers rock harder than Coldplay. #IAintHatinTho #ColdplayAreGreatAtWhatTheyDo

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

I think that was sarcasm. :lol:

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I'm used to just lurking and reading threads rather than commenting, mainly for this reason. I'm no good at getting sarcasm online :rastamike:

Yousefelso

Yousefelso Hands Held High

Apop was correct, I wasn't being sarcastic. Also as he mentioned, the timing of Mike's tweet is quite ironic considering how large midnight has been. But as also has been mentioned, we'll never know but speculating is fun. Assuming they are related, I agree with Qauck. I don't know why Coldplay would be the band do to what Mike wants to happen despite being one of the largest bands out there. They just don't fit Mike's description in the article.

jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

Mike listed Arcade Fire as an example in his article; they're no more hard hitting than Coldplay.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I'm starting to think that this particular topic warrants its own thread in the sub-forum :rolleyes:

Yousefelso

Yousefelso Hands Held High

Yeah you're probably right. At least we know the new album most likely won't sound like midnight though.

Tallerstorm

Tallerstorm Banned

Midnight? Is it a new LP leak?

Squish Mitten

Squish Mitten I'm a five-star general; infantry controller.

Nah. New Coldplay song. Here you go :)

[video=youtube;BQeMxWjpr-Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQeMxWjpr-Y[/video]

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

Minutes To Midnight, Part II :lol:

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Maybe he is talking about Coldplay, and maybe he is saying that things haven't changed for him in the studio since the article in September...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    Anonymous Person

Anonymous Person You promised me flesh!

Hmm. Never got into Coldplay. I hope Mike is being reliable this time around, although usually Chester is the more reliable one for sound. Excepting MTM of course. :rolleyes:

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I come to LP Chat, and I see this thread, started by Filip. First thought: ''wuuuuuuuut'' :lol:

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

:lol: Yeah I got surprised as well when I skimmed through the first page and saw that I had posted in this thread.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

He really was.

Starting with A Thousand Suns especially, when he gave interviews like this: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/linkin-park-cooking-up-genre-busting-album-for-2010-20090526

Junk food comparisons and use of the word "cutting edge" was recurrent. I won't include the term "genre-busting," because that was something he said as kind of a joke but the press ran with it. I don't really remember the kind of interviews he was giving for Minutes to Midnight.

And I don't need to remind everyone how many times the effing "tools in the toolbox" story was told before Living Things came out.

It just seems like since at least 2009/2010, the band and especially Mike feel the need to come up with some big narrative to put out in the press as a way to prime their fans for whatever is coming. I said it's starting to make me feel cynical because it just feels so calculated, especially with the latest comments. The fact that Mike Shinoda, the Linkin Park guy, is saying that rock music isn't "aggressive" or "creative" enough in 2013/2014 is ridiculous. Like laugh out loud funny and facepalm confusing. As I've said before: if rock music is too soft, then surely it is Linkin Park that helped make it that way. One of the biggest musical acts of the 2000s was a huge-sounding and aggressive nu-metal band, and they traded that in for alternative rock.

When Trent Reznor talks about the new direction his album took, he basically just says "it came out with a more minimalist feel." That's it. There's no big story about how nostalgic he is for a time when music had less layers or whatever. It just is what it is.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I follow through on my threats. :kappa:

Not even "narratives", just buzzwords. Over and over again ...

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I'll agree that Mike is maybe overplaying the hype game. That can be dangerous for the band too, as all those claims about rock music will turn against them if the next record don't deliver.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

That's true. Linkin Park helped make it that way.

But this post did not come out years ago, not before they released the last three records. It came out in 2013; Linkin Park's sixth studio album is in the making, and Mike's been saying all the crap he has. What I'm trying to say is: Linkin Park will do something on their next album.

Are you picking up on what I'm saying? If not, let me know. I kinda had a hard time writing this post.

Very true, pal.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I do. And I guess if this new album comes out and it's aggressive and creative and great, then it will all be justified.

I just think it's really bad form to be one of the biggest rock acts in the world, purposefully tone down/remove the aggressiveness in your music, and then act like some sort of outsider and start asking where all the good bold heavy rock music went before your own version of that music comes out.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I would much rather have Mike give us these buzzwords and topics to think about before an album than remain quiet. He's building a hype machine, and as the creator of the music, he has every right to do so. He's got us talking and thinking about his comments, and I would bet that's part of the reason why he brought it up in the first place.