Mike Shinoda Posts First Studio Update of 2014, Discusses "Mostly Self-Produced" Album

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

This is false. Rock is fine. But that's not what caught my eye. Anyone who thinks metal isn't at an all time high doesn't even listen. Or they wade in the shallow end. Mrtal is the most expansive, diverse, and creative genre out there today. There are more super creative, original and intelligent albums than ever. This is statement is flat ignant.

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

If you actually listened to a lot of hard rock/metal, you'd realize how ignorant this sounds.

3. MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

rock/metal is not mainstream anymore, its not ignorant because LP can make something sick and bring rock back into mainstream
    LP is the most successful and popular band in the last past 13 years, they have proven it too.

4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Successful how? As far as record sales are concerned? That doesn't make an album good, it just means people bought it because of effective marketing schemes, something Linkin Park has consistently failed at for the past couple of years. Their presence in the Medal of Honor series didn't boost sales, it ended up killing the series. The Transformers series may be a box office juggernaut, but it's one of the worst trilogies (soon to be quadrilogy) put to film. The partnership with Dell was such a miserable failure, the only way we got Brusier was because they released a budget DAW. What I'm saying is that Linkin Park isn't exactly the image of artistic integrity.

Even if Linkin Park were to record this earth-shattering rock record that could catapult the genre back into the pop charts, it would more likely than not bomb because of those cynical attempts at brand synergy and just the fact that hardly anyone important would give it a chance. They spent their commercial peak writing cookie-cutter songs for a much-maligned genre and when they switched up their sound, they got seen as U2 wannabes. This new album could sound like a blend of Relationship of Command, I'll Sleep When You're Dead and the Fat of the Land and people will just ignore it like they did with ATS. And now Mike wants to throw out a song with Steve Aoki as proof they're doing something original and cutting-edge when ALTNC is just a boring electro house song with some guitars buried in the mix and Mike and Chester on top giving their most uninspired performances since Meteora.

What's even the point of getting hard rock back in the mainstream? It's popular enough right now, it's just not played everywhere. Do you really want the glut of imitators that this album will certainly spawn if it's a full success? I've said it before, Linkin Park doesn't have a good track record when it comes to influencing newer bands. I'll be damned before I hear bands like Bring Me the Horizon or Falling in Reverse while I'm out grocery shopping.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  5. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

You're kind of cynical and a little pessimistic :lol:

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Pessimism's a win-win situation.

7. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Spitz nails it and owns the little kid to boot!

8. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

And you managed to infer all of that from my post...how? Where did I say that I didn't want them to make that kind of record? I didn't say anything of the sort. Not trying to be rude here, but sometimes I wonder if you are quite literally pulling your posts out of your ass.

9. MattLP

Yeah I'm pulling them straight out of my ass just for you ;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  10. heavenscalamity

heavenscalamity Well-Known Member

Oh honey, just stop.

11. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

:lol:

12. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

[​IMG]

13. MattLP

You got it babe

14. Lotus Flower

Lotus Flower Well-Known Member

Yep. Disturbed is the opposite of Linkin Park, because they have been regurgitating their equivalent of Hybrid Theory for years. That's the last thing I'm worried about for LP.

Yeah I'm not seeing that bit as significant, because Mike has always been very hands on with production. Rick Rubin seems to have mostly acted as a consultant, especially in the beginning, where LP needed to break out of their first 2 albums mode in a big way.

And agreed on Hybrid Theory EP. It's a big unrefined and green compared to something like ATS, but compared to Hybrid Theory it's pretty bold and eclectic and much less cookie cutter. Hopefully this is also a sign that they'll be much more "unleashed" creatively.

Great post. That isn't to say ATS was much of an acquired taste, because it's really not, but it's much less dependent on being catchy compared to Living Things.

15. lpandpie

lpandpie Well-Known Member

Just a little morsel of new album information for the day: Joe Hahn's DJ tech, Warren Willis, chimed in on an LPU chat on February 6 and reaffirmed Mike's column on Pidgeon's & Planes by saying:

He also confirmed that the band has been playing around with an 8-string guitar in their studio sessions:

Source

16. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

^
    lol his favourite LP song is a remix

legit

17. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Huh?

18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

EA was expecting Call of Duty money, so they got a big name band to co-sign their game and have their songs over the trailers like how Activision got A7x and Eminem. Medal of Honor and its sequel failed and killed any further entries in a once respected series. Now it's more likely that it failed because the game wasn't any good, but Call of Duty isn't a good series either.

19. AaronJxD

AaronJxD Well-Known Member

To a hardcore gamer, nah, Call of Duty isn't a very good series, lack of innovation is a serious issue. However, millions of people love to play it, it's one of the only games they play, and for a gamer like that it is quite a good series. LP did not kill the Medal of Honour series, shitty developers did.

20. MattLP

Maybe cause the songs that were feat in it werent any good? I mean the catalyst and LGM for that type of game?
    thats also why it failed. And if i'm right EA had WAK in ufc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.