Lostprophets Split; Ian Watkins Still Awaiting Trial For Allegations Of Pedophilia

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Luke, Oct 2, 2013.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Lostprophets announced yesterday via facebook that the band are to split after 15 years. This news comes as lead singer Ian Watkins remains in jail awaiting trial for numerous counts of being a pedophile including conspiracy to rape a one year old girl. The court date is set for November 25th and is expected to last a month.

I'm pretty upset about all of this. Lostprophets were one of my favorite bands growing up and, although my taste for them declined over the years, it's pretty soul-destroying when you find out the lead singer of one of your favorite bands, and who you've seen live, could be capable of doing such things. I feel really bad for the other band members, they seemingly had no idea that any of this was going on. Their careers are in jeopardy now as everyone will always remember them for being in the band with a pedo.

That said, Ian Watkins hasn't actually been convicted yet. All signs point to him being guilty but until he's actually found guilty by a judge and jury we can't jump to conclusions. In any case, he's finished.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how much Ian's reputation will affect the rest of the band, but I don't take this as all bad. After all, breaking up Lostprophets doesn't mean they won't still play music together; it just means they're going on without Ian, and presumably under a different name (at least that's what I got out of it). Like wasn't Drowning Pool considering doing something like that years back?

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

^ This. His reputation's in the gutter, whether or not he's found to be guilty. If I were a fan, though, I'd wait for the verdict

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I was a fan, but I have also removed Lostprophets from my Ipod and have thrown away my CD's of theirs. I can no longer listen to the lyrics without really wondering what they are about. The whole idea of that is really disturbing to me and I don't need that. If I still had a Lostprophets shirt, that would have gone in the trash as well.

If the remaining members go on under a different name, I will give them a chance. The name "Lostprophets" is dead to a lot of people right now.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

It's just so weird. When I was in my old band about 5 years ago, we used to jam literally a few roads away from where the Shinobi vs Dragon Ninja video was shot. We used to think that was really cool and attempted covering it a few times (albeit very shitty attempts).

I still think a lot of their music (particularly the first two albums) is really awesome, but now when something by Lostprophets pops up on random it's impossible to listen to it without thinking "the guy who sings this is a pedo". Such a damn shame.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Fair point. If the whole situation disturbs you that much (as I guess it should), that sounds like the right course of action. :) Personally, I haven't been a fan of Lostprophets since 2005 or something so my reaction to all of this isn't so visceral. While the allegations are disturbing and everything looks pretty bad, I want to see Watkins proven guilty before I start calling him a monster.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I was actually looking for the Lostpohets thread to revive it but couldn't find it. Thanks Luke for opening this thread.

I have to say that I feel a bit sad too. Like you they were one of my favorite bands growing up and my taste for them declined over the years (they kind of stalled). I felt really strong for their music until Liberation Transmission and I even had a slight crush on Ian himself (well, you know how I feel now, done and dusted). And like I said in the shoutbox, I hope the rest of the guys can move on from this, they will probably form a new band with a new singer, I don't think they just stop making music because it's pretty much the only thing they've done for about 15 or more years as well.

I still can listen to their music, I have to say I never had their collection legally in my music library because their music was never sold around here.. And although I also want to wait for final conclusion on Ian's case, I don't think I'm buying their stuff.

Oh Ian, what the fuck did you put yourself into... The reports came pretty much out of nowhere.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Man, these guys got me through my early teenage angst years of high school. Damn. Those songs are still amazing though. WAKE UP. MAKE A MOVE.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

I am still very upset about it. I used to be a big fan of this band and since Ian is the frontman, this is really weird to me.
    I still love their songs and albums, and why shouldn't I?
    Even through Ian somehow has lost hist mind completely, aren't you allowed to like their music and lyrics anymore?
    Or have they lost there meaning or something to you?
    This thread really opens a lot of questions.

ZachLP

ZachLP Soldier since 2000

Ian Watkins is a scumbag. Always has, always will be.